Listing forthcoming work experience on resume

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Listing forthcoming work experience on resume

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:01 pm

I'm splitting my summer and I need to send out some resumes before my second legal internship begins. Any thoughts on how to list that on my resume?

I was thinking that, in the area where you'd normally insert a bulleted explaining what you did, I'd just put: Note: At the time this resume was tendered, this internship is forthcoming.

BearState

Re: Listing forthcoming work experience on resume

Postby BearState » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking that, in the area where you'd normally insert a bulleted explaining what you did, I'd just put: Note: At the time this resume was tendered, this internship isForthcoming 7/2015-8/2015.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm splitting my summer and I need to send out some resumes before my second legal internship begins. Any thoughts on how to list that on my resume?

I was thinking that, in the area where you'd normally insert a bulleted explaining what you did, I'd just put: Note: At the time this resume was tendered, this internship is forthcoming.

No. Just no. You should at least have a general idea of the type of work you'll be doing. Put "Will do X, Y, & Z," with X, Y, and Z being broad things that you're going to do. If it's something that'll be pretty obvious what you'll be doing, you could simply omit the bullets for now (e.g. if you were applying to jobs as a 3L but had a clerkship at the federal circuit lined up, it's pretty obvious what you'd be doing as a clerk where you don't really even need the "Will do X, Y, and Z" line(s)).

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:03 pm

BearState wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was thinking that, in the area where you'd normally insert a bulleted explaining what you did, I'd just put: Note: At the time this resume was tendered, this internship isForthcoming 7/2015-8/2015.

I would omit "forthcoming" altogether. For one, it looks like shit and suggests that you also write like shit. Second, people aren't complete idiots. They can figure out that the future dates you listed haven't passed yet, meaning you haven't actually worked there yet.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:20 pm

XxSpyKEx wrote:
BearState wrote:

I would omit "forthcoming" altogether. For one, it looks like shit and suggests that you also write like shit. Second, people aren't complete idiots. They can figure out that the future dates you listed haven't passed yet, meaning you haven't actually worked there yet.

I disagree. Putting "forthcoming" is pretty standard resume practice w/r/t future employment. I would remove "At the time this resume was tendered, this internship" as well though.

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:26 pm

lawschoolftw wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:
BearState wrote:

I disagree. Putting "forthcoming" is pretty standard resume practice w/r/t future employment. I would remove "At the time this resume was tendered, this internship" as well though.

Just list "Prospective [X]" where X is your job title. Sounds better than "forthcoming" which is a term I've only ever heard used with publications and would look very awkward to me in this context.

transferror

Postby transferror » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:43 pm

Where I put dates, I use "Expected July - August 2015". Or you could list your current position as "First Half Summer 2015" and then "Expected Second Half Summer 2015" for the upcoming job.

The above advice about using "Prospective [X]" is fine too. Just do something that looks clean and sounds normal.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 pm

Yeah. I used "(anticipated)" for next to the date. Just don't be awkward.

bruinfan10

Postby bruinfan10 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:51 pm

I echo that forthcoming/anticipated sounds stupid. Do you really think someone is going to get mad at you because they couldn't figure out August 2015 hasn't happened yet? I've had legal jobs locked in for two years in advance since 3L, and I've gotten a lot of interviews with future dates listed.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:55 pm

You do not need an adjective to indicate that your internship is forthcoming or expected. Having a date range beginning in the future clearly indicates that it is a job you have already set up but which you have not yet started. For that reason, it is also OK not to have bullet points.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:23 pm

Conclusion:

There is no exact science to this. We've all done it differently, and had success with the various formats discussed above. Best of luck in the job hunt.

Return to “Legal Employment”