Chances at a mid-big law summer associate position next summer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Chances at a mid-big law summer associate position next summer

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:11 am

I'm at Wisconsin and finished 1L with a 3.48 (the top 15% from last semester was 3.51). I'm on moot court, still waiting to hear on law review, interned at a 1st amendment non-profit this semester, working at the city attorney's office this summer, and took 6 years to work between a fine arts undergrad and law school. BUT... even with all that, does my GPA mean I'm dead in the water? I'm looking at firms in the Bay Area for summer 2016.

WokeUpInACar

Re: Chances at a mid-big law summer associate position next summer

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at Wisconsin and finished 1L with a 3.48 (the top 15% from last semester was 3.51). I'm on moot court, still waiting to hear on law review, interned at a 1st amendment non-profit this semester, working at the city attorney's office this summer, and took 6 years to work between a fine arts undergrad and law school. BUT... even with all that, does my GPA mean I'm dead in the water? I'm looking at firms in the Bay Area for summer 2016.

In the Bay Area? That'll be an uphill climb. You're at least competitive for mid-big law in the midwest, but based on past job data there won't be more than 4-5 kids in the whole Wisconsin class who will end up with any sort of job in California. This is why people are advised to attend law school in the region where they want to practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:14 am

Yeah, I know I should have gone to school out there but I needed to be within a panicked, spur of the moment drive from aging parents. Unfortunately, by the time I graduate, that is unlikely to be an issue. Do you think diploma privilege has anything to do with low WI numbers in CA? People here are fairly adverse to a bar exam. I guess I was mostly asking about this kind of GPA from a 31 ranked school (US News). I mean, it's all about T14, not T1, so I'm just not sure how Wisconsin stacks up to the competition, and thus how my GPA looks compared to other candidates with the same GPA. I have people in the Bay Area so connections aren't the issue. It's more along the lines of I know that the name of the school colors the GPA.

timmyd

Postby timmyd » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:50 am

I mean, your have a good gpa and I think you would be competitive, though not guaranteed, biglaw/midlaw in the midwest. If you have a bunch of connections to the Bay area than maybe you could get a good job out west, though I doubt it'll be big law. Once you get outside of T14 and UT/Vandy/UCLA/USC/WUSTL/Notre Dame/BC/BU, I don't think theres really much difference between the schools. They are regional/local. So I would say pretty decent shot getting something in the midwest, but poor chances in the bay area.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:11 am

Any advice on how to make myself stand out? I'm already working with career services to see if an alum at Littler Mendelson would be willing to mentor me and my lunch hour is more or less dedicated to getting in touch with folks out there. Did anyone else with a sub-par gpa have any success moving to a different market, and if so, how did you do it?

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:02 pm

I guess it might be too late now and if you are not in the top 10% unlikely anyways, but have you thought about applying to transfer to UC-B or something?

Might also have a shot at NU(they've been taking a lot more transfers recently) and they said a good number to CA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Biglaw summer positions in CA is very, very difficult. I'd say even more so in the bay area. Ifirst, there are some really good schools out here.. Stanford, Cal, also lots of the firms recruit from T14 schools. Also, class sizes tend to be smaller. I would focus on Midwest or NYC instead. Also, many of them question ties to the area...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:27 pm

I can't transfer out there, even for 3L. I have an aging parent who is terminal and I need to be able to get home to help him if he needs it (my sister is handling next summer). And sadly, that won't be a concern by the time I graduate. As for ties to the area, I have family there and most of my friends are there at this point, which is why a summer position is so important to me. I intend to settle there after law school for the duration. I realize it'll be hard and I'll probably start looking at much smaller firms. Mid Law is likely an ideal fit for me anyway. I appreciate everybody's input and I am taking it all in. I know I'm trying to have my cake and eat it too. If I branched out to Sacramento and Stockton would that make my situation a little less hopeless?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:38 pm

Sacramento/Stockton will probably be harder than SF/LA. They're looking for locals, not bodies.

Your grades/school/ties just aren't sufficient for CA big law or what you envision as midlaw. That's not to say that you can't ever get a job in CA but if that's the goal you're likely going to have to graduate jobless, move out there, study for the bar, and hustle to get it. I'm not saying that to be mean, I think that's just the reality based on what I know about that market.

NoChainz

Postby NoChainz » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:48 am

Take a year off to be with your parents then apply to transfer to a California school (UCB).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:01 pm

Your best bet is to get biglaw anywhere next summer and then hope to move down the line. Goal 1A can be California but 1B should be a summer position in Chicago at a national firm that may let you transfer to a California office or will at least give you a credible name on your resume if you want to lateral to a west coast firm after a year or two of practice.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:46 pm

That's not a bad idea. I had planned to apply at some Milwaukee firms as a back up since I don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin. Thanks for the tip!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:That's not a bad idea. I had planned to apply at some Milwaukee firms as a back up since I don't have to take the bar in Wisconsin. Thanks for the tip!

Not sure how much of a backup that is, it'll probably be most people's front up and hard to pull off as well

Just apply everywhere and see what happens. But be realistic IMO

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:03 pm

Make sure to mass mail every NYC and Chicago firm (I'm serious, every firm). You should land something.

If you just focus on Cali and WI you run a serious risk of striking out. Whoever said to consider going to NYC or Chi then transferring to Cali or Wi has TCR.

Return to “Legal Employment”