Please take a look at my bidlist

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Hi, I'm a urm at uva with a 3.3 gpa looking for Texas. I am looking for transactional work and here is my bidlist so far:

Lathan & Watkins Houston

Vinson & Elkins Houston

Baker Botts Houston

Simpson Thatcher Houston

Skadden Houston

Andrews Kurth Dallas

Kirkland & Ellis Houston

Bracewell & Guilani Houston

Norton Rose Fulbright Houston/Austin

Haynes & Boone Dallas

Baker & McKenzie Houston

Locke Lord Houston

Jones Day Houston

Paul Hastings Houston

Mayer Brown Houston

Winston & Strawn Houston

Gibson Dallas

Sidley Austin Dallas

Jackson Walker Houston

K&L Gates Dallas

Akin Dallas

Baker Hostelter Houston

Hogan Lovells Houston

Are there any firms that I might be missing that are reasonable? Also, any suggestions for firms in DC that I should consider?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 28884
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby wiz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:28 pm

STB, Skadden, Baker Hostetler, and Morgan Lewis, but I'm not sure if the Houston offices of those firms do OCI at UVA.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:33 pm

OP here,

Thanks. I added all but Morgan Lewis. STB & Skadden at my GPA seem a bit of a stretch right? Bid them higher or lower?

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby BearLaw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, I'm a urm at uva with a 3.3 gpa looking for Texas. I am looking for transactional work and here is my bidlist so far:
Lathan & Watkins Houston
Vinson & Elkins Houston
Baker Botts Houston
Andrews Kurth Dallas
Haynes & Boone Dallas
Kirkland & Ellis Houston
Baker & McKenzie Houston
Locke Lord Houston
Jones Day Houston
Hogan Lovells Houston
Paul Hastings Houston
Mayer Brown Houston
Norton Rose Fulbright Austin
Winston & Strawn Houston
Bracewell & Guilani Houston
Gibson Dallas
Sidley Austin Dallas
Jackson Walker Houston
K&L Gates Dallas
Akin Dallas
Are there any firms that I might be missing that are reasonable? Also, any suggestions for firms in DC that I should consider?


Are AK, and Akin Houston not coming to OCI? I would put them on there over a firm like Jackson Walker if you could. Also, I would move Kirkland over Hayboo. (I would move Hayboo down in general if you want transactional). I would also put Bracewell over Hogan, only because they have a much bigger office with more positions. I wouldnt waste a bid on Skadden Houston, small office that has never grown.

Otherwise looks pretty good.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

BL,

I'll make your revisions. AK and Akin aren't coming to OGI. Will be including them in my mass mail. If no Skadden, what of Latham? Worth placing so high?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 28884
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby wiz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here,

Thanks. I added all but Morgan Lewis. Skadden at my GPA seems a bit of a stretch right?

Yeah, it is, but no more of stretch than K&E, Latham, or maybe even V&E/BB (though those have large class sizes). If you have ties to TX, I think you have a better chance of landing one of those firms than you do of landing most DC firms, so you might as well play the numbers game.

And frankly, you might have a better chance at those selective firms that have strong corporate practices than you do at places like Hogan Lovells (tiny litigation boutique) or Winston & Strawn (primarily IP).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:42 pm

STB should be decently high on your list - your GPA is a little under their norm but the URM status should be a boost (and I think they're less GPA-selective outside NY). I didn't see if Willkie Farr Houston was on your list but I'd throw that in there too.

On your DC firms question: There isn't much transactional work in DC from what I understand. You get some regulatory advisory stuff that can be a part of transactional projects but the actual deal work will be in New York, London, LA, etc. If you really want to be a deal guy, NY is the major market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:43 pm

Wiz,

I do have ties to Texas. Thanks for the input. You think V&E/BB might also be a stretch for me? If so, where would you suggest I rank them.

Also, Wilkie Farr (houston) is not coming to OGI

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby BearLaw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BL,

I'll make your revisions. AK and Akin aren't coming to OGI. Will be including them in my mass mail. If no Skadden, what of Latham? Worth placing so high?


Latham will give you a look. Median at UVA, with URM status and ties should get you a call back at least. Same goes for V&E, BB, STB and the like. A good interview puts you in a good position.

My only concern with putting STB very high is that it is still a small office. They do good work, and its a great firm, but their growth plan (at least when I interviewed, so, grain of salt) was modest in Houston. I dont think they had more than 4 summers either of they years they have been open, but someone who knows better please correct me if I am wrong.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:53 pm

BL, it doesn't look like that amount of SAs they hire has changed much.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 28884
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby wiz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wiz,

I do have ties to Texas. Thanks for the input. You think V&E/BB might also be a stretch for me? If so, where would you suggest I rank them.

No, I don't think they're a stretch necessarily. I was saying that most of those firms at the top of your list have similar selectivity. You can land them, but you're obviously going to need to interview well.

I can't really offer you advice on where to rank them because I didn't do OCI at UVA and don't know how your classmates bid. But if I had a preference of firms for corporate work (again, just preference, where you rank the firms should be determined by historical bidding data/demand), I would go:

V&E/Latham
Baker Botts/AK/Bracewell
K&E/STB/Sidley
Akin Gump/Paul Hastings
Locke Lord/Jones Day/Fulbright/Mayer Brown
Haynes & Boone/Baker & McKenzie/Winston & Strawn/etc.

Again, that's just strength of corporate work. For constructing a bidlist, you're going to need data from previous years or have some idea of how popular TX firms are at your school (generally not very popular at most T14s, but I'm not sure if UVA is different).

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby BearLaw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BL, it doesn't look like that amount of SAs they hire has changed much.


If you have a bid to spare, its worth throwing in there. Good firm with a good reputation, both nationally and in Houston, despite the office being small. People know STB has an office in Houston, far fewer know Skadden does. So take that for what you will.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 28884
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby wiz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Yeah, I agree with that. Skadden has been around forever but isn't really a major player. STB is legit; they just aren't following the Kirkland aggressive expansion plan.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:04 pm

Wiz, thanks for the ranking. I'll cross-check with our bidding history later.

Wiz/BL, I put STB and Sadden next to each other. Good enough? I figure that I have a low chance at potentially landing them in preselects but then I'm wrestling with the potential of a callback through the lottery.

User avatar
wiz
Posts: 28884
Joined: Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:25 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby wiz » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wiz, thanks for the ranking. I'll cross-check with our bidding history later.

Wiz/BL, I put STB and Sadden next to each other. Good enough? I figure that I have a low chance at potentially landing them in preselects but then I'm wrestling with the potential of a callback through the lottery.

Yeah, I think that's fine, although I agree with BearLaw that Skadden shouldn't really be a priority if you have better options to stick in there. Small class sizes and not really a major player. But if you're going to bid it, I guess you might as well put it in a spot where you have a chance. I do think you're within range for all of these firms in the sense that they'll at least consider you.

Your #1 priority should obviously be to get a job, but beyond that, I would be gunning for V&E, Latham, Baker Botts, Bracewell, AK, and Fulbright since those firms have the largest class sizes (admittedly, Latham is on the smaller end of that spectrum, but they and V&E are top tier for corporate imo).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273204
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:14 pm

Wiz, noted. I have made changes to reflect that. I appreciate the insight.

BearLaw
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:23 pm

Re: Please take a look at my bidlist

Postby BearLaw » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:26 pm

wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wiz, thanks for the ranking. I'll cross-check with our bidding history later.

Wiz/BL, I put STB and Sadden next to each other. Good enough? I figure that I have a low chance at potentially landing them in preselects but then I'm wrestling with the potential of a callback through the lottery.

Yeah, I think that's fine, although I agree with BearLaw that Skadden shouldn't really be a priority if you have better options to stick in there. Small class sizes and not really a major player. But if you're going to bid it, I guess you might as well put it in a spot where you have a chance. I do think you're within range for all of these firms in the sense that they'll at least consider you.

Your #1 priority should obviously be to get a job, but beyond that, I would be gunning for V&E, Latham, Baker Botts, Bracewell, AK, and Fulbright since those firms have the largest class sizes (admittedly, Latham is on the smaller end of that spectrum, but they and V&E are top tier for corporate imo).


Pretty much second all of this, spot on. PM if you want insight into some specific firms. I have some experience with several of them. Good luck!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.