Below median at GULC- chances of a job in DC Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below median at GULC- chances of a job in DC

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:45 pm

3.2, personal emergency during first exam and came out of finals with a lovely collection of B's. Any chance at all of getting a firm job in DC? If not, do I have a shot at government? Resume is good and I interview well. Not sure if I should explain my lackluster grades during an interview or only explain if questioned. Any advice on strategy is appreciated.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Re: Below median at GULC- chances of a job in DC

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:17 pm

like a big firm job? or just any firm job?

big firm isn't impossible but youll have to hustle for sure.

SOL2015

New

Post by SOL2015 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:21 pm

gaddockteeg wrote:like a big firm job? or just any firm job?

big firm isn't impossible but youll have to hustle for sure.
TOTALLY willing to hustle. Any advice on how? Which firms to target?

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:22 pm

Yes there is a chance at biglaw. No, it is not a great one.

There are a number of biglaw firms that pay at or around market and have accepted below median GULC kids. Your best bet is to go onto the GULC EIW site through Career Services and check out the average/max grades hiring statistics for each firm.

Off the top of my head, I know DLA Piper and Crowell have taken people from around your GPA level but I couldn't comment as to how repeatable that would be.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:23 pm

Also think seriously about MidLaw in Baltimore, Virginia, etc. You have no guarantee of Biglaw so fallbacks are good. Where to find them is a good question, but I bet career services can start you off.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SOL2015

New

Post by SOL2015 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:35 pm

Capitol_Idea wrote:Your best bet is to go onto the GULC EIW site through Career Services and check out the average/max grades hiring statistics for each firm.
This was my first step. My first appointment wasn't as successful as I had hoped. My career adviser purposely circumvented any direct questions about my chances at any specific firms. Felt like I was interviewing a politician. Also unwilling to give data for firms that show up at EIW but have "insufficient data" listed on the grade history page.

I have another appointment later this week and am hoping to press for more substantial answers. I know I'm probably looking at firms that pay below market value in DC, but any job that lets me stay in DC is something I'd consider. Career services seems to encourage people with my grades to apply to secondary markets rather than go all-in with DC.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Yeah, you're asking the wrong questions of CS, it sounds like. They won't assess your chances, and I wouldn't trust them even if they did try. They also won't release data that might out people - so you won't get more than what is on the site.

Here's what you can do: get a list of firms (or resources that will get you there) of the nearby secondary markets. This is something CS can actually do. Then, do not go to CS again for anything ever.

You can guess at where GPA ranges might fall for certain firms by finding their peers on places like Vault, Chambers, etc. Not perfect but it's a start.

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:41 pm

SOL2015 wrote:
Capitol_Idea wrote:Your best bet is to go onto the GULC EIW site through Career Services and check out the average/max grades hiring statistics for each firm.
This was my first step. My first appointment wasn't as successful as I had hoped. My career adviser purposely circumvented any direct questions about my chances at any specific firms. Felt like I was interviewing a politician. Also unwilling to give data for firms that show up at EIW but have "insufficient data" listed on the grade history page.

I have another appointment later this week and am hoping to press for more substantial answers. I know I'm probably looking at firms that pay below market value in DC, but any job that lets me stay in DC is something I'd consider. Career services seems to encourage people with my grades to apply to secondary markets rather than go all-in with DC.
theres a thread somewhere on this forum that has a list of NY and DC firms that has called back below median at georgetown specifically. I believe a former gulc kid leaked it. I remember seeing it a few years back. a quick search should turn it up.

TLSlogin765

New

Post by TLSlogin765 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:02 pm

OP: I am literally in your same exact situation at GULC. I think we are in a decent enough position to get one solid shot at Biglaw though. Good luck, and hustle! By the way, I am targeting a big secondary market, and I think it will be helpful to contact 2Ls/3Ls who have taken SAs in the markets you want to see what their bidding strategies were like (and to get the low-down on OCI generally) -- maybe that is a good place to start, instead of through OCS. Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SOL2015

New

Post by SOL2015 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

TLSlogin765 wrote:By the way, I am targeting a big secondary market, and I think it will be helpful to contact 2Ls/3Ls who have taken SAs in the markets you want to see what their bidding strategies were like (and to get the low-down on OCI generally) -- maybe that is a good place to start, instead of through OCS. Good luck.
Sounds like a solid strategy for a secondary market. If I weren't DC or bust I'd be doing the same. Good luck to you too!

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Post by BmoreOrLess » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:14 am

Wait, career services wouldn't disclose grade info on specific firms you asked for? I was told if I gave them a list of specific firms they would give me grade info. I haven't done it yet but that's what they told me when I stopped in to ask for grades on a secondary market.

SOL2015

New

Post by SOL2015 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:54 am

BmoreOrLess wrote:Wait, career services wouldn't disclose grade info on specific firms you asked for? I was told if I gave them a list of specific firms they would give me grade info. I haven't done it yet but that's what they told me when I stopped in to ask for grades on a secondary market.
I asked about 3 firms and they opened the binder, kind of shrugged and said something like "its going to be an uphill battle, but I'd put them on your bid list." I pressed for specific numbers, especially for a firm listed with "insufficient data" and I didn't get any hard numbers.

Maybe they're different with secondary markets?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”