SA Social Security/State Tax Questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA Social Security/State Tax Questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:29 pm

So I've noticed on my first two paychecks (semi-monthly) that I've been taxed over $400 per pay period for social security tax. I know my social security tax liability is just over $1200 based on making $30,770 for the summer. Does the IRS refund over-withheld social security taxes along with federal income taxes, or is there something I can adjust to prevent them from over-withholding?

On a related note, does anyone know if the allowances claimed on the DE-4 (CA state income tax form) equate to the allowances on the W-4? I'm being majorly over-withheld by CA and would like to prevent giving the state an interest free loan if I can help it. On the DE-4 it says the CA FTB requires notice for anyone claiming more than 10 allowances, so I feel like putting 25ish allowances is frowned upon by HR.

Thanks in advance.

Re: SA Social Security/State Tax Questions

Postby minnbills » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:53 pm

You should just ask HR to revise your forms for better tax efficiency. I'm sure they do it all the time.

Return to “Legal Employment”