Federal Judge as Ceremony Officiant

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Federal Judge as Ceremony Officiant

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:36 pm

Is it totally inappropriate or might it be acceptable to ask the judge you externed/interned for to serve as your wedding officiant? Secular service at a secular venue, no available religious figures from either side of the family to officiate. Alternative would probably be paying someone to conduct the service. Assume a positive/warm/pleasant relationship with the judge (but still professional, not personally close).

*****mods: I know this isn't legal employment but I was hoping to keep this anon*****

drs36

Re: Federal Judge as Ceremony Officiant

Postby drs36 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Assuming you have a good/close relationship with the judge, I think it's perfectly acceptable and probably preferable. I plan on doing something similar. I think its more meaningful to have someone with whom you have a relationship officiate the ceremony.

middlemarch

Postby middlemarch » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:56 pm

It's pretty common for judges to officiate the weddings of their clerks/former clerks, so it just depends on your personal relationship.

lawschoolftw

Postby lawschoolftw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:56 pm

middlemarch wrote:It's pretty common for judges to officiate the weddings of their clerks/former clerks, so it just depends on your personal relationship.

My judge did it for two of her former clerks. Also, judges often do this for people they're not even close with. I think it's totally appropriate.

Return to “Legal Employment”