The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you at with your bidlist?

Done and submitted!
45%
Done
8%
Working on it
31%
...heh
15%

Total votes: 86

Anonymous User

Re: The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome!

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:36 pm

I agree with smaug. Only looking to mass mail the biggest legal market in TX, not sure which of the three is the biggest. But I'll get to Texas after mailing NY and other two markets I have ties too.
Also would it be better to mass mail Texas before Chicago? I have no ties to either, just big law or bust.

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:44 pm

Houston is the biggest market in Texas by a long shot, and essentially the only market in Texas if you don't have ties here.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:09 pm

Nice OP

isuperserial

Postby isuperserial » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:19 pm

Checking in.

rahulg91

Postby rahulg91 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Pneumonia wrote:Houston is the biggest market in Texas by a long shot, and essentially the only market in Texas if you don't have ties here.

No.

Check out the NLJ Regional Report. Both Dallas and Houston have the around same number of NLJ 350 lawyers working in them. Targeting only Houston is silly. There's quite a few Dallas firms with large class sizes (Locke Lord, Haynes and Boone, Baker Botts, Thompson & Knight, etc.). Mass mail both.

cannibal ox

Postby cannibal ox » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:31 pm

tagging4drama

Pneumonia

Postby Pneumonia » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Houston is the biggest market in Texas by a long shot, and essentially the only market in Texas if you don't have ties here.

No.

Check out the NLJ Regional Report. Both Dallas and Houston have the around same number of NLJ 350 lawyers working in them. Targeting only Houston is silly. There's quite a few Dallas firms with large class sizes (Locke Lord, Haynes and Boone, Baker Botts, Thompson & Knight, etc.). Mass mail both.

TK Dallas is reliably taking kids with no ties? Also, i didn't think it was controversial that Houston has more SAs or that it is less insular?

xael

Postby xael » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:22 pm

I think I have diagnosed my issue I am calling it "information paralysis."

Would it kill career services offices to compile all this info into downloadable spreadsheets :(

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:29 am

scottidsntknow wrote:Ok so new game. OCI Survivor. Every week starting September 1, we'll vote one regular out of the thread, picking from the pool of people who don't yet have offers.

As someone who's below median, posts like these help me come to terms with striking out at OCI and just dropping out.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:Ok so new game. OCI Survivor. Every week starting September 1, we'll vote one regular out of the thread, picking from the pool of people who don't yet have offers.

As someone who's below median, posts like these help me come to terms with striking out at OCI and just dropping out.

Wow nice callout from another thread and anon as well.

xael

Postby xael » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:47 am

I have half a bidlist now!

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:09 am

scottidsntknow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean, it's an incredibly dickish thing to say.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:29 am

First Offense wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I mean, it's an incredibly dickish thing to say.

I mean, not in context and I'm sorry you can't handle a joke.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:32 am

I saw the context. You're still a dick.

Keep rolling with the just a joke defense though. Your tone deafness on the topic is admirable in many ways.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:35 am

First Offense wrote:I saw the context. You're still a dick.

Keep rolling with the just a joke defense though. Your tone deafness on the topic is admirable in many ways.

Alright I'm a dick, very mature.

Xael you got your drama!

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 am

scottidsntknow wrote:

Xael you got your drama!

Lol. You fail to recognize the tone deafness of jesting about not getting a job ten topics down from a thread called "The Vale of Tears", defend the statement as just a joke, and then resort to the "very mature" comment when you are accurately called a dick.

Your complete inability to read a situation will serve you well during OCI.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:39 am

Checking in! Bid list submitted, now let the mass mailing begin...

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:43 am

First Offense wrote:
scottidsntknow wrote:

Xael you got your drama!

Lol. You fail to recognize the tone deafness of jesting about not getting a job ten topics down from a thread called "The Vale of Tears", defend the statement as just a joke, and then resort to the "very mature" comment when you are accurately called a dick.

Your complete inability to read a situation will serve you well during OCI.

So, have you looked at the thread title where I was posting? A song of dings and offers. The other thread title considered was 2Lephant in the room: did you strike out. So yeah, in context, I wasn't being a dick nor being tone deaf. And oh I know I'm a dick but that's irrelevant here.

Sure you can really judge my character based on some TLS posts, good job bro! And just so you don't worry I'm skipping OCI b/c I've already received and accepted an offer. Good luck to you with OCI!

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:47 am

Yeah despite liking T, her suggestion wasn't funny either.

People literally kill themselves over this shit. It's fine to be happy when you get an offer. It's fine for someone who struck out to joke about it.

It's not fine for someone with a job/job offer to joke about people striking out. It's in bad taste for many reasons.

I sincerely hope this helps.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:49 am

Like specifically this:

Sure you can really judge my character based on some TLS posts, good job bro! And just so you don't worry I'm skipping OCI b/c I've already received and accepted an offer. Good luck to you with OCI!

Is very smarmy. I'm pretty sure Noodley is summer now at a prestigious firm somewhere. (not being sarcastic)

Bragging about this stuff is NAGL.

Y'all need to wash the WUSTL off of you and pick up on some social cues.

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:50 am

smaug wrote:Yeah despite liking T, her suggestion wasn't funny either.

People literally kill themselves over this shit. It's fine to be happy when you get an offer. It's fine for someone who struck out to joke about it.

It's not fine for someone with a job/job offer to joke about people striking out. It's in bad taste for many reasons.

I sincerely hope this helps.

I won't joke about it again.

I think it was fair to get a little annoyed for this to go all over TLS when someone else makes an equally offensive joke but is safe from ridicule.

However I think we've reached the end of this so I will drop it.

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:54 am

I think the difference is that tea generally crosses lines knowingly and doesn't give a fuck about it, whereas you cross lines and then argue that (1) you did not cross the line, but also (2) the line doesn't exist.

This is a friendly reminder that the line exists. Ignore it at your own social peril.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:19 pm

I really don't feel comfortable with noods or smog being the arbiters of what constitutes good manners and/or comedy

(But I generally agree with what they're putting down here, I think no offer-pwnedom is one of those lines you're not really supposed to cross on TLS.)

smaug

Postby smaug » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:20 pm

BigZuck wrote:I really don't feel comfortable with noods or smog being the arbiters of what constitutes good manners and/or comedy

(But I generally agree with what they're putting down here, I think no offer-pwnedom is one of those lines you're not really supposed to cross on TLS.)

remind me, who are you again?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:23 pm

smaug wrote:
BigZuck wrote:I really don't feel comfortable with noods or smog being the arbiters of what constitutes good manners and/or comedy

remind me, who are you again?

Oh boy JT you've really got me riled up right now let's do this for like 10 pages you jerk face how dare you

Return to “Legal Employment”