The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you at with your bidlist?

Done and submitted!
45%
Done
8%
Working on it
31%
...heh
15%

Total votes: 86

Anonymous User

Re: The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Good luck to everyone who starts OCI tomorrow!
So fckn anxious.
TSL please tell me everything will be ok.

Slytherpuff

Postby Slytherpuff » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:40 am

Good luck this week, everyone!

Manteca

Postby Manteca » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:39 am

A firm cancelled on me one day before the interview. TTT as fuck.

First Offense

Postby First Offense » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:01 pm

Manteca wrote:A firm cancelled on me one day before the interview. TTT as fuck.

Better they cancel than waste your time.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 pm

Tagg Romney

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:35 pm

fkt18 wrote:Good luck this week, everyone!

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:49 pm

How does one prepare for these interviews? Most of mine are next week. I have 24 pre-screens split between 2 back to back days. Do a little research in the firms and have a cheat sheet?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:How does one prepare for these interviews? Most of mine are next week. I have 24 pre-screens split between 2 back to back days. Do a little research in the firms and have a cheat sheet?

NALP, Vault, Chambers and Associates, Chambers and Partners, firm websites for research. Come up with stock answers for questions related to you and your resume and stock questions that sound tailored to each firm for the inevitable "So, what can I tell you about the firm?" question that you'll be hit with. Cheat sheet you can refer to before each interview is a good thing to have.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:26 pm

BigZuck wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:How does one prepare for these interviews? Most of mine are next week. I have 24 pre-screens split between 2 back to back days. Do a little research in the firms and have a cheat sheet?

NALP, Vault, Chambers and Associates, Chambers and Partners, firm websites for research. Come up with stock answers for questions related to you and your resume and stock questions that sound tailored to each firm for the inevitable "So, what can I tell you about the firm?" question that you'll be hit with. Cheat sheet you can refer to before each interview is a good thing to have.

Awesome, good to know. Will spend this week prepping.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:32 pm

people with 2 week OCIs--do you push all of your callbacks to 2 weeks after OCI starts? do you feel like that puts you at a disadvantage? everything I've read says we should do them as soon as possible :/

and a related question: people bidding multiple markets that are well spread out: how did you schedule/are you scheduling callbacks? just prioritizing one market over the other?

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:people with 2 week OCIs--do you push all of your callbacks to 2 weeks after OCI starts? do you feel like that puts you at a disadvantage? everything I've read says we should do them as soon as possible :/

and a related question: people bidding multiple markets that are well spread out: how did you schedule/are you scheduling callbacks? just prioritizing one market over the other?

This sounds like me last year. Had a late, 2-week OCI and did CBs over the 3.5ish weeks following that. Was still doing CBs in the last week of September.

Scheduling CBs for multiple markets: I highly recommend scheduling the beginning/end of the week first, and moving inward. Obviously be thinking about what CBs you're waiting on, etc, and the fact that just because you want a CB to go in a certain day doesn't mean the firm will be able to do one then. I think people make too much of the "as soon as possible" thing - I scheduled CBs in the order I got them (like, would always call then back same-day) and I really regretted that, because the first places I heard from weren't my first choices. 3.5 weeks of free flights/hotels/food sounds great but you get pretty tired of it since it means a lot of prep-work and being absolutely exhausted (esp. if you have to double up CBs any day - avoid if possible!). So I would almost recommend waiting just a bit after your first few, and trying to get your top picks done first.

I didn't feel like I was disadvantaged for doing CBs so late. I split the summer, and one offer was from one of the first firms I did a CB with, and the other was from one of my last. Size of summer class/your grades/etc probably matter a lot. I only had one CB where I felt like they were probably done hiring before I got there and I didn't really have a shot, and that was my last one.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:27 pm

beepboopbeep wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:people with 2 week OCIs--do you push all of your callbacks to 2 weeks after OCI starts? do you feel like that puts you at a disadvantage? everything I've read says we should do them as soon as possible :/

This sounds like me last year. Had a late, 2-week OCI and did CBs over the 3.5ish weeks following that. Was still doing CBs in the last week of September.

Scheduling CBs for multiple markets: I highly recommend scheduling the beginning/end of the week first, and moving inward. Obviously be thinking about what CBs you're waiting on, etc, and the fact that just because you want a CB to go in a certain day doesn't mean the firm will be able to do one then. I think people make too much of the "as soon as possible" thing - I scheduled CBs in the order I got them (like, would always call then back same-day) and I really regretted that, because the first places I heard from weren't my first choices. 3.5 weeks of free flights/hotels/food sounds great but you get pretty tired of it since it means a lot of prep-work and being absolutely exhausted (esp. if you have to double up CBs any day - avoid if possible!). So I would almost recommend waiting just a bit after your first few, and trying to get your top picks done first.

I didn't feel like I was disadvantaged for doing CBs so late. I split the summer, and one offer was from one of the first firms I did a CB with, and the other was from one of my last. Size of summer class/your grades/etc probably matter a lot. I only had one CB where I felt like they were probably done hiring before I got there and I didn't really have a shot, and that was my last one.

Thank you! That was super helpful.

So by scheduling the ones you weren't really wild about you ended up with tons of callbacks spread out weird, and you otherwise would have dropped them? Would you recommend prioritizing smaller markets first, then, and moving out? I was thinking of picking a general time frame for each market and trying to put all the interviews into that general area--would you recommend that?

My markets are on opposite coasts as well :|

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
beepboopbeep wrote:

Thank you! That was super helpful.

So by scheduling the ones you weren't really wild about you ended up with tons of callbacks spread out weird, and you otherwise would have dropped them? Would you recommend prioritizing smaller markets first, then, and moving out? I was thinking of picking a general time frame for each market and trying to put all the interviews into that general area--would you recommend that?

My markets are on opposite coasts as well :|

Yea basically. I was split between edit: east and west coast, and then one CB each in edit: two secondary markets. It was a mess. I don't know if it's smaller markets I'd prioritize so much as... whatever your firm priorities are. Like if you just want to do real estate, and you'd prefer boutique over biglaw, and you have a CB with a real estate boutique that you love- get that in quickly. Honestly if you are having the problem of too many CBs to schedule things cleanly, you're probably going to land on your feet.

I wouldn't be too rigid w/r/t when you want to do CBs in particular markets mostly because firms just won't have stuff available when you want. Like even big NY places that you'd expect to have infinite potential slots for - some of them only had 3 open days remotely in the range I wanted to be doing CBs. So you'll have to move things around. That's kinda why I like doing the ends-of-the-week thing, it's easy to be flexible. If you do a lot better in Market 1 than Market 2 it's easy to expand and do, say, the first three days of the week in 1 and Thurs/Fri in 2. You can exert a bit of control over your travel schedule that way. Just be prepared to say, hmm, fuck, I can't do this CB when I wanted to, but this firm is a high priority, so now I have to fly from LA to NY to DC in the span of ~30 hours.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:53 pm

okay that makes sense. those three are three of the markets I'm hitting (+ home town which is of course nowhere near those ones). thank you!!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beepboopbeep

Postby beepboopbeep » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:okay that makes sense. NY/DC/LA are three of the markets I'm hitting (+ home town which is of course nowhere near those ones). thank you!!

No prob. PM if you have any other questions.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:39 pm

I'd second all of beeps advise with two qualified thoughts:

(1) the risk of scheduling "late" callback interviews depends in part on when your school does OCI and when your classmates are interviewing with those firms. my school has a very early OCI -- the other end of the spectrum from beeps, and firms only want so many students from X school; a September callback for me would most likely have been a waste of time since most firms would have the students they wanted.

(2) for students in these embarrassment of riches type scenarios, don't sweat the small stuff. focus on what's most important and don't make it about collecting offers or interviewing with every firm. Remain flexible and push through, but keep in mind that sometimes it's not worth it and you can hurt your stamina unnecessarily. At one point I scheduled six CBs in seven days and I simply don't have the constitution for that; I certainly ruined interviews by failing to accept my limits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:10 pm

does skadden do invite-only dinners?

how do you know when it is invite only?

not trying to read tea leaves I just want to know if I need to go.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:04 pm

Spent an entire screener interview at OCI talking about 1) something very tangential to my work experience and 2) one of my listed interests. No idea if I was an auto-ding or if it was all about gauging fit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:34 pm

What kind of prep should we be doing for CBs, anything more extensive than what we did for screeners?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:51 pm

Someone should take up the torch for this year: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=237124

SplitMyPants

Postby SplitMyPants » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:31 pm

I was looking through that thread briefly. I thought CB thank you emails were expected, but so few people on that first page sent any. Am I mistaken?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:42 pm

SplitMyPants wrote:I was looking through that thread briefly. I thought CB thank you emails were expected, but so few people on that first page sent any. Am I mistaken?

The correct answer to the "Should I send a thank you?" question is "No" but people argue about it for pages and pages and pages

Serett

Postby Serett » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:50 pm

I'm just emailing this to all of my interviewers as the sensible middle ground:

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:36 am

SplitMyPants wrote:I was looking through that thread briefly. I thought CB thank you emails were expected, but so few people on that first page sent any. Am I mistaken?

Maybe in smaller markets. Absolutely not necessary in NYC.

Return to “Legal Employment”