The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Where are you at with your bidlist?

Done and submitted!
45%
Done
8%
Working on it
31%
...heh
15%

Total votes: 86

BmoreOrLess

Gold

Re: The Official OCI Megathread: Drama Welcome!

Post by BmoreOrLess » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:41 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Honestly, I'm still a bit confused.

Let's say employers preselect 90% of the interviewees and the other 10% is lottery..

For the sake of argument, student A is #1 in the class and is a shoe in at firm X but doesn't bid on firm X. Does student A get an interview because he is preselected?

No right? Unless student A throws in even a low bid.
Yea, this is why Zach was advocating not using all your bids if you're a top student at GULC (or at least only use bids at firms you would be happy interviewing with), whereas median bros like myself just need to just get a fucking job any way possible so throw everything on there. If a preselect at 50 costs me a lottery interview with 25, I should just be happy to max out interviews.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:50 pm

fkt18 wrote:Anon, I'm sure a lot of other posters would disagree with me..........
I'm thinking I should maybe mass mail SF. Bidding SF takes up a lot of early bids because it is so popular

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:54 pm

Massmailing sucks.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56 pm

Man, this whole bidding thing is stressing me out. Afraid I'll get no interviews. I'll probably make a thread to evaluate my choices.

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:58 pm

Yeah this really makes me wish I wasn't so outable

:(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:37 pm

ugh

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:35 pm

Need help figuring out the grade selectivity of the following firms:

Winston Strawn NY
Cadwalader NY
Ropes & Grey NY
Chadbourne NY

Assume median at PBVD. TYIA.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:58 pm

Fuck winston

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:10 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
wiz wrote:
rahulg91 wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:Houston is the biggest market in Texas by a long shot, and essentially the only market in Texas if you don't have ties here.
No.

Check out the NLJ Regional Report. Both Dallas and Houston have the around same number of NLJ 350 lawyers working in them. Targeting only Houston is silly. There's quite a few Dallas firms with large class sizes (Locke Lord, Haynes and Boone, Baker Botts, Thompson & Knight, etc.). Mass mail both.
Stop giving horrible advice.
Explain why checking out the NLJ Regional Report would be a bad idea? The markets aren't as lopsided as you might think. I'm splitting Dallas/Houston right now, so I thought I'd have a decent perspective over (guessing) someone who hasn't split Dallas/Houston?

EDIT: http://www.nationallawjournal.com/id=1202728676000 that's the link to the NLJ report for anyone interested.
If you're looking to summer in TX, you should be looking at SA class sizes. There are significantly more SA spots available in Houston than there are in Dallas. Houston is also less ties-conscious than Dallas.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need help figuring out the grade selectivity of the following firms:

Winston Strawn NY
Cadwalader NY
Ropes & Grey NY
Chadbourne NY

Varies by school, but to give general less-than-helpful advice: Cadwalader, Chadbourne, and Winston all hire median. Ropes is probs a notch more selective and closer to top 30-40%. But Ropes also has the largest class size of the bunch (like 3 times as large as Winston).

Also, fuck Winston.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:38 pm

wiz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Need help figuring out the grade selectivity of the following firms:

Winston Strawn NY
Cadwalader NY
Ropes & Grey NY
Chadbourne NY

Varies by school, but to give general less-than-helpful advice: Cadwalader, Chadbourne, and Winston all hire median. Ropes is probs a notch more selective and closer to top 30-40%. But Ropes also has the largest class size of the bunch (like 3 times as large as Winston).

Also, fuck Winston.
Thanks this is more or less what I was looking for atm. I'll drop Ropes. Also is Winston that one firm that no offered a bunch of it's summers? I vaguely recall reading a post about that.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
wiz wrote:

Winston Strawn NY
Cadwalader NY
Ropes & Grey NY
Chadbourne NY

Also, fuck Winston.
Thanks this is more or less what I was looking for atm. I'll drop Ropes. Also is Winston that one firm that no offered a bunch of it's summers? I vaguely recall reading a post about that.
Yup, that's Winston.

Btw, not telling you Ropes is unattainable full stop. Just saying that most of their hires will be people with better grades while the other 3 are in a lower band of selectivity. But you still have to balance that against the different SA class sizes since Ropes hires almost as many as the other 3 put together.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:41 pm

how dumb is it to bid on nyc and chicago offices of the same firm if you have great ties to nyc and okay ties to chicago?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:55 pm

I'm so jealous of people who have a shot (and probably better chance than me) at OCI at median. It must be nice to go to a prestigious law school. Should have LSATed better.

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 12:50 am

ManoftheHour wrote:I'm so jealous of people who have a shot (and probably better chance than me) at OCI at median. It must be nice to go to a prestigious law school. Should have LSATed better.
Don't worry, you'll get the last laugh when you cop biglaw with less money owed to the gov while prestigious school attendees languish in loans.

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:25 am

definitely the hardest part of this outside the fact that I don't know what city I want is the fear that once I remove a firm from my list it's gone FOREVER

chuckbass

Platinum

Post by chuckbass » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:44 am

xael wrote:definitely the hardest part of this outside the fact that I don't know what city I want is the fear that once I remove a firm from my list it's gone FOREVER
No b/c massmail!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

xael

Platinum

Post by xael » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:57 am

would someone who knows about LA be willing to take a look at my bid list? Not for the order of the firms but just firms I might be leaving out. Zacharus took a look at it for NYC/DC and was super helpful :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:54 pm

For those who are mass mailing, how many have you sent out?

So far I've only sent 50 :|

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:17 pm

what is the protocol on mass mailing firms that 1) come to your oci and 2) you are bidding on or mass mailing another one of their offices. I've heard that they care a lot about this and that they also don't care at all. And does it matter if the mass mailed office is NYC?

ezjojo30

New

Post by ezjojo30 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Is resumelaunchpad down? I keep getting site not found...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:57 pm

I tried to find info on this, but couldn't.

I am "mass" mailing about 20 firms (in my large target market and also smaller backup market.)

Do I just start the email with Dear Ms. Recruiter and then include my cover letter in the body of the email? Attaching the resume?

Or I am supposed to attach a fancy cover letter with nice formatting etc?

rahulg91

Bronze

Post by rahulg91 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I tried to find info on this, but couldn't.

I am "mass" mailing about 20 firms (in my large target market and also smaller backup market.)

Do I just start the email with Dear Ms. Recruiter and then include my cover letter in the body of the email? Attaching the resume?

I've been sending applications to recruiters with (1) cover letter (2) transcript (3) resume and (4) writing sample. And yeah to your question, I usually do fancy pdf resume+cover letter combo with formatting. It only takes a minute.

I just saw someone in another thread talking about sending applications straight to random partners and associates, is this credited? WTF? I feel like getting random applications would be annoying AF, but I'm not sure.

JDeezy

Bronze

Post by JDeezy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:33 pm

rahulg91 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I tried to find info on this, but couldn't.

I've been sending applications to recruiters with (1) cover letter (2) transcript (3) resume and (4) writing sample. And yeah to your question, I usually do fancy pdf resume+cover letter combo with formatting. It only takes a minute.

I just saw someone in another thread talking about sending applications straight to random partners and associates, is this credited? WTF? I feel like getting random applications would be annoying AF, but I'm not sure.
If you are including the cover letter as an attachment, do you also include it in body of email? Or just a quick blurb in body?

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:45 pm

JDeezy wrote: If you are including the cover letter as an attachment, do you also include it in body of email? Or just a quick blurb in body?
I just wrote a quick cover letter and put it only in the body of the email. Seems to work alright.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”