HLS EIP 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Has anyone heard back after the McKinsey case round yesterday and the day before?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:24 pm

1DS/4H/5P
Boston Lit
6 years, non-legal WE; inconsistent interviewer
16 screeners
7 CBs offered accepted & attended
7 offers
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:29 pm

1DS/5H/4P
19 screeners (12 NYC/7 Chicago)
7 CBs (5 NYC/2 Chicago)
6 CBs taken (5 NYC/1 Chicago)
3 offers (3 NYC)

KJD + lit + mediocre interviewer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:09 am

3L with MBB offer. For details, quote me non-anon and I'll PM you.

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3L with MBB offer. For details, quote me non-anon and I'll PM you.
Interested in general details

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:38 am

Not the quoted OP but also went through consulting interviews. What general details are you looking for? If you are looking for a broad overview, let me know and I can post something to this forum so everyone can see. If you'd like something more specific, also let me know and I can PM you my perspective as well. :)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:45 am

To the specific question a few posts above:

No news on McK final rounds; BCG offer was same day (same hour, even)

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not the quoted OP but also went through consulting interviews. What general details are you looking for? If you are looking for a broad overview, let me know and I can post something to this forum so everyone can see. If you'd like something more specific, also let me know and I can PM you my perspective as well. :)
Yeah, from your experience what kind of people get CBs/offers from MBB? EG only people with business backgrounds and business WE? How much prep is necessary to do well in the process?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:29 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not the quoted OP but also went through consulting interviews. What general details are you looking for? If you are looking for a broad overview, let me know and I can post something to this forum so everyone can see. If you'd like something more specific, also let me know and I can PM you my perspective as well. :)
Yeah, from your experience what kind of people get CBs/offers from MBB? EG only people with business backgrounds and business WE? How much prep is necessary to do well in the process?
(One of the above posters, but not the one you're quoting.)

You need a lot of prep. You don't need to be MBA level when it comes to case interviews, but you need to be able to hold your own.

Business background isn't necessary. I sure don't have one. But I did have a solid reason and a few good examples of how I fit into the consulting world.

Also Bain doesn't like JDs. I know a PhD that went through their interview process and said they make it hell for non-MBAs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:34 pm

Different, different anon.

My own take is that 2 years of WE is a decided advantage, just because you're going in as an associate rather than an analyst (observation holds even truer if you try to do FIW). You will get a leadership and teamwork question for every interview you go through, and at this stage of entry it's just not as convincing if your leadership examples come from out of, say, a student group in college.

Also, realistically you will be applying to BCG and McKinsey only (Bain doesn't recruit at HLS), and while the basic case interview format is the same there are also important nuances in the interview styles.

- MBB applicant 2

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:52 pm

thanks guys! Better strategy, interviewing 2L or 3L? Seems like you'd have more time to prep if interviewing during 3L

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Different, different anon.

My own take is that 2 years of WE is a decided advantage, just because you're going in as an associate rather than an analyst (observation holds even truer if you try to do FIW). You will get a leadership and teamwork question for every interview you go through, and at this stage of entry it's just not as convincing if your leadership examples come from out of, say, a student group in college.

Also, realistically you will be applying to BCG and McKinsey only (Bain doesn't recruit at HLS), and while the basic case interview format is the same there are also important nuances in the interview styles.

- MBB applicant 2
Regarding work experience: I don't think we disagree. My only specification was that it doesn't have to be business. I have 2-3 years FT WE and it was critical.
Mack.Hambleton wrote:thanks guys! Better strategy, interviewing 2L or 3L? Seems like you'd have more time to prep if interviewing during 3L
3L, IMO. If you want to split your summer there's nothing wrong with interviewing during the regular process, but everything is so much easier during 3L. My "why I want to jump the law ship to do consulting" speal was a lot more powerful when I could just name what was missing from my law firm summer. Also, without all the firm interviews I had virtually unlimited time for case prep.

But you can also do both. It just will make your August hellish.

-Thing 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:52 pm

If you know right now, as a 1L, that you never want to practice as a lawyer, then my advice is to apply 1L, 2L and 3L. Yes, it's an appreciable amount of work, but the payoff is substantial and you can make it work. If in 1L, then go to fewer cocktail receptions during winter term (PSW is a joke). If during 2L, it's very unlikely that you'll be in a summer job where you'll be too busy to work through cases. It's also very important to note that you get better with real reps - through actual interviewing, which can be very different from the sort of preparations that you can go through with friends. Being rejected is non-evaluative for subsequent attempts.

The one caveat to this might be if applying earlier forecloses you from doing so later, e.g., I've heard somewhere that you can only apply to McKinsey every 2 years. That's definitely not true at BCG, and I don't think it's even true for on-campus McK as well, although it wouldn't hurt to check.

- Thing 2

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mack.Hambleton

Platinum

Post by Mack.Hambleton » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I'm sure people in HALB etc could answer this, but what resources did you guys use for case prep?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:55 pm

Mack.Hambleton wrote:I'm sure people in HALB etc could answer this, but what resources did you guys use for case prep?
Tell enough people that you're doing case interviews and they'll send you case sets. Business schools all keep case interview cases like law students keep outlines, except often they publish them as packets. Also: Case In Point and anything by Victor Cheng.

The most important thing is practice and repetition. Find a couple of cases partners (I had eight, but fewer could have worked) to give and receive cases to and from. Varied feedback helps, especially if you have partners who aren't afraid to dig into you critically.

-Thing 1

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:55 pm

Sorry - bump for Mck. Has anyone heard anything yet? If not, they're being awfully slow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 pm

5 H/5 P, K-JD, strong interviewing skills, litigation only, successful in splitting NYC/DC

TOTAL:
23 screeners
18 callbacks
12 callbacks attended
12 offers (10 V15 offers)

NYC:
16 screeners
12 callbacks
8 callbacks attended
8 offers

DC:
5 screeners
5 callbacks
3 callbacks attended
3 offers

Other:
2 screeners
1 callback
1 callback attended
1 offer

Hope these data points help future applicants. Best of luck to everyone still seeking offers. Keep your heads up!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:55 pm

McK ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:5 H/5 P, K-JD, strong interviewing skills, litigation only, successful in splitting NYC/DC

TOTAL:
23 screeners
18 callbacks
12 callbacks attended
12 offers (10 V15 offers)

NYC:
16 screeners
12 callbacks
8 callbacks attended
8 offers

DC:
5 screeners
5 callbacks
3 callbacks attended
3 offers

Other:
2 screeners
1 callback
1 callback attended
1 offer

Hope these data points help future applicants. Best of luck to everyone still seeking offers. Keep your heads up!
Extraordinary, almost unbelievably strong callback to offer ratio. Bravo.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:37 pm

4H/6P
Corporate
Targeted SoCal

Screeners: 27
CB: 7
CBA: 6
Offers: 4

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm

1H/9P
Corporate
NY

Screeners: 37
CB: 4
CBA: 4
Offers: 0

Still searching/getting desperate. Know people with 3 or 4 h's who are also in the same situation. HLS is not safe, ~10% of the people do not get big law when they want. When you are part of that 10%, it is hell here.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1H/9P
Corporate
NY

Screeners: 37
CB: 4
CBA: 4
Offers: 0

Still searching/getting desperate. Know people with 3 or 4 h's who are also in the same situation. HLS is not safe, ~10% of the people do not get big law when they want. When you are part of that 10%, it is hell here.
Make sure you are in constant talks with OCS. I know someone who struck out my year, and OCS basically handed them an offer with a (good) Boston firm. They will work to help you find something.

Also, 10% seems high, but I assume people who don't get it don't talk about it.

TripTrip

Gold

Post by TripTrip » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:HLS is not safe, ~10% of the people do not get big law when they want.
This statistic is wrong.

I'm sorry you're having trouble finding employment at the firms you are most interested in.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:05 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:HLS is not safe, ~10% of the people do not get big law when they want.
This statistic is wrong.

I'm sorry you're having trouble finding employment at the firms you are most interested in.
Well, it wouldn't be surprising for HLS on average to post about a ~90% eip success rate (that's consistent with its peers), but you're right that that's a deceptively low percentage given the number of students that obtain summer offers at large firms outside of the formal EIP process or only pursue a handful of EIP interviews because they already had 1L SA's, ect. So it's almost certainly less than 10% that don't ultimately find a firm gig.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:44 pm

There is definitely a thin line between a successful EIP and an unsuccessful EIP. If your grades aren't amazing it's a huge crapshoot and there are enough people with only 1-2 offers that it shouldn't be surprising that people end up with 0.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”