HLS EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:41 pm

3L here.

On two occasions talking to different people in the hiring process near the end of my V50 SA, I had someone tell me that they 1) would absolutely hire an HLS student with LPs and 2) were wary of anyone with more than 6 Hs because those people consistently lacked social skills.

It might not sound believable, but one of them was the partner whose job it was to interpret Harvard's ridiculous transcripts and the other made callback decisions.

If you can't get an offer at my firm, it's certainly not your damn grades.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:48 pm

question: what do you say in an email canceling a callback that you previously scheduled but now no longer want to do?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:question: what do you say in an email canceling a callback that you previously scheduled but now no longer want to do?

Pretty much the same types of things you would expect to read in a polite rejection email, but reversed. OCS has a blog post about it: https://blogs.law.harvard.edu/hiregroun ... -properly/

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bad grades hurt you a lot more than good grades help you. The difference between 1-2 H's and 3-4 H's is a lot bigger than the difference between 3-4 H's and 8+. After a certain point (and it's typically 3 or 4 H's), most firms care a lot more about personality and fit and intangibles than they do about grades. I had 6 H's and had an objectively poor cycle a few years ago (I'm thrilled with where I ended up, but I got a total of 2 offers and didn't get callbacks from a lot of my top-choice firms) and I know people with half as many H's who crushed it.


I had no idea that 1-2 H's was considered bad...I knew median was 3-4, but I figured being just below median wasn't that bad, considering it's HLS and all. I don't want to complain too much because at least I have some callbacks but man am I underperforming...and I don't know what it is. I had been told in mock interviews and ish that I was a good interviewer!

lawschool90
Posts: 18
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:55 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby lawschool90 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 11:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bad grades hurt you a lot more than good grades help you. The difference between 1-2 H's and 3-4 H's is a lot bigger than the difference between 3-4 H's and 8+. After a certain point (and it's typically 3 or 4 H's), most firms care a lot more about personality and fit and intangibles than they do about grades. I had 6 H's and had an objectively poor cycle a few years ago (I'm thrilled with where I ended up, but I got a total of 2 offers and didn't get callbacks from a lot of my top-choice firms) and I know people with half as many H's who crushed it.


I had no idea that 1-2 H's was considered bad...I knew median was 3-4, but I figured being just below median wasn't that bad, considering it's HLS and all. I don't want to complain too much because at least I have some callbacks but man am I underperforming...and I don't know what it is. I had been told in mock interviews and ish that I was a good interviewer!


Depends what market you're in. 1-2 H's in NYC isn't going to kill you, but it might in DC. I say this from observing/personal experience so far this year, and friends who are going to be 3Ls this fall.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:06 am

I don't think 0-2 Hs is a problem in NYC at all, speaking with friends. Every year there are people with straight Ps who get great NYC options. If you are a poor interviewer, though, maybe grades are more critical.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:46 am

Incoming 1Ls if you ever read this, I don't care if you have to break up with your girlfriend, abuse adderall, and take on zero extra-curricular activities: Literally ruin your health for grades. I know they will tell you they're pretty important, and you'll think you're taking it very seriously and doing most everything by the book, but unless you're a well-groomed god at timed essays (even by HLS standards), you'd better get back in the damn library.

Unless the only reason you're coming to HLS is to work for a V5 or clerk for the COA--and those are terrible reasons to attend any law school--this is dumb advice. HLS is unique in the opportunities it affords people outside of class; the classes themselves are the same as you'll find in any other law school. You can and will get a biglaw offer if you screw around the entire semester until finals. Is this advisable? Maybe not, but the point is that you shouldn't sacrifice an awesome opportunity for the "reward" of slaving away for a couple of years at a more "prestigious" place.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Incoming 1Ls if you ever read this, I don't care if you have to break up with your girlfriend, abuse adderall, and take on zero extra-curricular activities: Literally ruin your health for grades. I know they will tell you they're pretty important, and you'll think you're taking it very seriously and doing most everything by the book, but unless you're a well-groomed god at timed essays (even by HLS standards), you'd better get back in the damn library.

Unless the only reason you're coming to HLS is to work for a V5 or clerk for the COA--and those are terrible reasons to attend any law school--this is dumb advice. HLS is unique in the opportunities it affords people outside of class; the classes themselves are the same as you'll find in any other law school. You can and will get a biglaw offer if you screw around the entire semester until finals. Is this advisable? Maybe not, but the point is that you shouldn't sacrifice an awesome opportunity for the "reward" of slaving away for a couple of years at a more "prestigious" place.


want to echo all the sentiments here -- i got mediocre grades and I got a lot of bay area CA callbacks. Previous experience and interviewing skills go far. The HLS degree takes you far.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:54 am

Re anon above. What's a lot in your opionion? And what's mediocre grades? If you don't mind sharing...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:42 am

My sense from observing HLS students going through recruiting is that there are really three groups; some firms that will look for at least a couple honors grades for their summer class and frown on LPs, but not ask for anything ridiculous, like Cravath, Davis Polk, S&C, many DC firms. Then there's a smaller set of firms that will truly demand academic excellence in the form of mostly honors grades, like Susman, Munger, Williams & Connolly; and lastly there are the tons of V100 in NY and secondary markets -- the majority of firms -- that won't really concern themselves much with an HLS student's grades and come to EIP with the expectation of snagging a few recruits with 0-2 H's for their summer class as long as they fit the culture/interview well (the non-grade-selective firms).

Not sure that means you have to gun harder at HLS.. It just means you need good grades for some opportunities and not others, as has always been the case.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Not sure that means you have to gun harder at HLS.. It just means you need good grades for some opportunities and not others, as has always been the case.

TCR.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:15 pm

To echo, grades matter a lot for firms like W&C, Wachtell, Munger, Keker, Susman, Boies and much, much less for everybody else (including not at all for many firms). So don't worry.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:52 pm

ropes Boston offer. interviewed last wed.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:18 pm

Even with the super grade selective firms, people really blow the cutoffs out of proportion for some of them. I got a CB with one of the firms mentioned 2 posts ago with only 3Hs.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Davis Polk NY offer. Interviewed last Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:29 pm

Has anyone been dinged by WSGR SV office? Is it via email or regular mail? In limbo mode since screener.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:41 pm

Kirkland Chicago ding email; 8/20 CB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:20 pm

White & Case offer, CB last Thursday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:26 pm

Paul, Weiss (NY, corporate) offer, CB on Friday.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:38 pm

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 am

GP SV offer

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

..

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:44 am

Skadden DC offer yesterday, CB 8/21

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:56 am

Arnold and Porter NY anyone? have people gotten CBs, dings? I'm getting serious radio silence.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273478
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:20 pm

^above anon asking about A&P NY: Did they send you an email telling you to fill out their EEOC form? Wondering if that was automated or if it means something.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.