HLS EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:59 pm

Anyone heard from Weil/Skadden BOS? Were they among the BOS firms doing CBs this week?

I still have not heard from them either way, but I know one person received a callback from Weil BOS last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Anybody been dinged by:
Shearman NY
Kramer Levin NY
Proskauer NY
Freshfields NY
Akin Gump NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:07 pm

Does anyone know whether Weil does dings over e-mail or snail?

Also, is anyone following up after a week of silence? The OCS e-mail gave that suggestion, but it seems the consensus here is not to follow up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:09 pm

Has anyone been dinged by Orrick (any location)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Mofo ny CB via email (JB)
Akin Gump ny ding (DR)

OnaFets

Postby OnaFets » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone been dinged by Orrick (any location)?

Screener or CB ding? Many people were dinged by Orrick SF a few days after the screener.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:34 pm

^i assume all ding questions are re: screeners at this point

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anyone heard from Weil/Skadden BOS? Were they among the BOS firms doing CBs this week?

I still have not heard from them either way, but I know one person received a callback from Weil BOS last week.

I am fortunate to have CBs to both (Weil interviewer was SH, Skadden was JC); if it helps, the earliest availability they had for scheduling either was for the coming week, so if you haven't heard anything, it may yet be a while. It probably wouldn't hurt to follow up.

lawschool90

Postby lawschool90 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cooley, anyone?

Cooley NY sent out dings via email this week. No email and NY, you're probably still good.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:07 pm

BB Dallas callback today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:59 pm

A question I'm curious about: I've gotten callbacks from Cravath, DPW, STB, Latham, Ropes, Paul Weiss...but rejections from Greenberg Traurig, Cahill Gordon, Dechert, Kramer Levin. (All firms in NY market -- only market I bid.) I would have thought that first group is more selective than that second group. Is this just all random? Or is there a pattern here?

(This post is not meant as a complaint or anything. I'm just curious about this kind of result.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:10 pm

Yield protect. It is a big thing at EIP.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:59 am

To the anon who asked above, I've been dinged by Shearman and Freshfields NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi, wondering if anyone has heard from Hogan Lovells DC or OMM DC? Thanks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi, wondering if anyone has heard from Hogan Lovells DC or OMM DC? Thanks.

No word on offers here, after interviewing this past week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:19 pm

Just a friendly reminder for all the kids killing it this recruiting season: Please help a brother out by cancelling your callbacks or rejecting your offers if you don't plan on taking a job at "X" firm because you, for example, already have 4 offers or 10 callbacks.

There is a pretty severe panic starting to set in with some of us who can count on one hand the amount of callbacks we have and are "waitlisted" at a dozen places.

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Sun Aug 23, 2015 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just a friendly reminder for all the kids killing it this recruiting season: Please help a brother out by cancelling your callbacks or rejecting your offers if you don't plan on taking a job at "X" firm because you, for example, already have 4 offers or 10 callbacks.

There is a pretty severe panic starting to set in with some of us who can count on one hand the amount of callbacks we have and are "waitlisted" at a dozen places.

To give you some statistical reassurance: it's not abnormal to have five or fewer callbacks. And 70% of callbacks result in offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:15 pm

TripTrip, thank you so much for your moral and real support for us.

Please, decline offers or callback invitations from firms you are not interested in. Some of your classmates are on the verge of mental breakdown.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:48 pm

It's nice to hear I'm not the only one absolutely losing my shit...

It's hard when the group of friends' biggest problem is how to fit all of their 15 callbacks at V25s into 3 weeks, and my biggest trouble is trying to find any scrap of research for my two callbacks at firms that are barely covered in Chambers/Vault...

I'm speechless at the complete and utter reliance on 1L grades by the firms. I knew it was going to be the most important factor, but dear god, I did not expect them to be so narrow-minded about an HLS grad with work experience who, by independently verified parties, was told they are a strong interviewer.

Incoming 1Ls if you ever read this, I don't care if you have to break up with your girlfriend, abuse adderall, and take on zero extra-curricular activities: Literally ruin your health for grades. I know they will tell you they're pretty important, and you'll think you're taking it very seriously and doing most everything by the book, but unless you're a well-groomed god at timed essays (even by HLS standards), you'd better get back in the damn library.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:19 pm

I have good enough grades and I can tell you grades do not necessarily determine your outcome. So many factors (work experience, law review, race, international student status, interviewing skills, appearance, who you happen to have as your interviewer, yield protection from lower-ranked firms) come into play and any of these can fail you even when you have the right grades. Also, although I like this year's transfer students, this year, competition for markets like New York seems to have been increased by the large number of transfer students.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:35 pm

I can't help but wonder if the hyper-focus on grades hasn't been exacerbated by OCS's obsession with making us all faceless automatons wearing nothing but navy suits, with identical resumes, who've all read the same "guides" online.

How can a firm hope to distinguish us when we all do/say the exact same shit... "Oh look they all took the same 6 tests last year and some did better, might as well use that"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's nice to hear I'm not the only one absolutely losing my shit...

It's hard when the group of friends' biggest problem is how to fit all of their 15 callbacks at V25s into 3 weeks, and my biggest trouble is trying to find any scrap of research for my two callbacks at firms that are barely covered in Chambers/Vault...

I'm speechless at the complete and utter reliance on 1L grades by the firms. I knew it was going to be the most important factor, but dear god, I did not expect them to be so narrow-minded about an HLS grad with work experience who, by independently verified parties, was told they are a strong interviewer.

Incoming 1Ls if you ever read this, I don't care if you have to break up with your girlfriend, abuse adderall, and take on zero extra-curricular activities: Literally ruin your health for grades. I know they will tell you they're pretty important, and you'll think you're taking it very seriously and doing most everything by the book, but unless you're a well-groomed god at timed essays (even by HLS standards), you'd better get back in the damn library.

Anonymous User wrote:I have good enough grades and I can tell you grades do not necessarily determine your outcome. So many factors (work experience, law review, race, international student status, interviewing skills, appearance, who you happen to have as your interviewer, yield protection from lower-ranked firms) come into play and any of these can fail you even when you have the right grades. Also, although I like this year's transfer students, this year, competition for markets like New York seems to have been increased by the large number of transfer students.

The second quote here is correct. Re the first quote: firms are not that narrow-minded. They do consider other factors, such as work experience, interviewing skills, market chosen, social skills, firm selection, etc. They've done their research too. They've seen what makes for a good junior associate. Grades are important, but not as important as you're making them out to be.

It seems like you're making excuses for a bad cycle of interviews/callbacks, having compounded not-so-good grades with some other factor, the combination of which is responsible for the situation. How do I know that? Because I've gotten a decent number of callbacks with not-so-good grades, and so have a number of people I know here.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:41 pm

No, firms do not focus on grades. I am a living proof. If grades were everything, there wouldn't be any uncertainty and there wouldn't be much panic. Just writing this to convey accurate information.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: having compounded not-so-good grades with some other factor, the combination of which is responsible for the situation.

This.

If OCS's fear-mongering is worth anything, it's probably this: If you have bad grades, you'd better bid a chunk of NY, and you'd better have some deep vault bids. Bidding DC/SF with poor grades, or saying you only want to do lit... recipe for a disappointing cycle.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:01 pm

Bad grades hurt you a lot more than good grades help you. The difference between 1-2 H's and 3-4 H's is a lot bigger than the difference between 3-4 H's and 8+. After a certain point (and it's typically 3 or 4 H's), most firms care a lot more about personality and fit and intangibles than they do about grades. I had 6 H's and had an objectively poor cycle a few years ago (I'm thrilled with where I ended up, but I got a total of 2 offers and didn't get callbacks from a lot of my top-choice firms) and I know people with half as many H's who crushed it.

Return to “Legal Employment”