HLS EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
sharkadoo
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:20 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby sharkadoo » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K-JD 2 DS 1 H interested in SF/SV -- OK-ish ties -- and NY -- no ties but that does not seem to matter.

For NY: is v10 going to be an option? Is it going to be worth bidding Cravath? (I know you're not supposed to do this but that would be my #1 pick)

For SF/SV: I assume MoFo is off the table.. What about Fenwick or Cooley? Any idea how grade snobby they are?


Is this true? I have read that MoFo dips below median for S.


OP here: that is just what I thought. but I hope I am wrong!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:02 pm

sharkadoo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:K-JD 2 DS 1 H interested in SF/SV -- OK-ish ties -- and NY -- no ties but that does not seem to matter.

For NY: is v10 going to be an option? Is it going to be worth bidding Cravath? (I know you're not supposed to do this but that would be my #1 pick)

For SF/SV: I assume MoFo is off the table.. What about Fenwick or Cooley? Any idea how grade snobby they are?


Is this true? I have read that MoFo dips below median for S.


OP here: that is just what I thought. but I hope I am wrong!


Wilson Sonsini and Cooley all dig below median at H. Definitely worth the bid if you have ties to CA. Don't know about Fenwick. Cravath generally require above median grades, though it is known to go down to median. I heard Wachtell, S&C, and Cravath all have soft cutoff at around 5 H's; though I'm not sure how hard the cutoffs are. All worth bids even if you're only bidding in two markets.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:27 pm

All the people who have posted with grades in the range of 3-5 H's and are interested in NY, you should bid every firm you are interested in except maybe Wachtell. People get V5 and V10 from that range every year.

Anonymous User wrote:Thoughts on 2DS, 6H (both LRWs), and 2P, and bidding primarily DC?


Your grades are more than enough for any top DC firm. You should bid all of them.

Anonymous User wrote:3H/7P, ties to Boston, 3 years as a V5 paralegal, and diverse. Can I bid only DC and Boston and avoid NY? My sense is DC will be tough, while Boston will be more doable. Is that inaccurate?


I suspect you will be fine in Boston, given your ties, but it's a small and somewhat finicky market. DC could happen but your grades might hold you back a bit, i.e., they are probably too low for many of the DC firms with big classes like Covington, W&C, and Wilmer. I might add a few NY firms with big classes to be safe. (Note that I'm unsure of how big the diversity boost is. It may well be enough to make my advice pessimistic.)

Anonymous User wrote:3DS/4H (including both LRWs)/3P. Bidding NYC and DC with good work experience.

Are there any firms (ex. Wachtell/selective DC firms) that would be wasted bids or reaches?

- Chipotle


No.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:32 pm

I've looked through the old threads and have a decent idea of what my grades can get me, and what could mitigate it (e.g. I have 2 years legal WE), but wanted to crowd-source three questions.

Grades: 2Hs; 7Ps; 1LP

Market: DC

Questions:

(1) I am interested in, and have a strong narrative for, a practice area that is DC specific and (somewhat) niche, but not high demand (unlike, e.g., political relations). Will the exclusivity of region and narrative for a niche practice area mitigate my below-market grades?

(2) URM - I couldn't find much information on how diversity affects firm placement. Does it depend on region, practice area, Vault Ranking (as a loose proxy for quality)?

-Dingo

ETA: (3) For a firm like Convington, which is otherwise completely out of the question, if they have this niche practice area that is less competitive than their core offerings, do they dip below their normal floor for candidates?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:44 pm

1 DS / 3 H / 6 P
I'm targeting DC primarily. Are there any firms that I'm likely out at? Covington? Williams & Conley?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:33 pm

1 DS/ 5 H (both LRWs)/ 4 P

Really want lit boutique, planning on clerking, average work experience, doing a SA this summer.

Any that my grades lock me out from? E.g. Susman, Kellogg huber, keker, bartlit beck, Bancroft?

-nickel

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1 DS/ 5 H (both LRWs)/ 4 P

Really want lit boutique, planning on clerking, average work experience, doing a SA this summer.

Any that my grades lock me out from? E.g. Susman, Kellogg huber, keker, bartlit beck, Bancroft?

-nickel


4H (1 LRW) / 6P, same question. At a market paying lit boutique for 1L summer (though of a lesser caliber than those above). Same question?

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:49 pm

Tag

User avatar
lawschool22
Posts: 3875
Joined: Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby lawschool22 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:51 pm

TripTrip wrote:
robotrick wrote:
aonymous User wrote:Ties are pretty much a flame. If you can convince someone to go on a date with you you can convince a firm that you really want to be in city X.

I'm banking on this big time so I hope it's true


ETA: for anyone who doesn't know, HLSDope has the EIP stats in graph form for (imo) easier viewing than the spreadsheets from OCS

It also has links to Vault, Chambers, AM Law, and NALP for each firm office. Just give me 'til the weekend to get that part published.

While I'm here, anything else you're looking for in the research tool?

Edit: And grade stuff. We're working on grade stuff.


What section of the site is this under? I'm having trouble finding it.

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby robotrick » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:09 pm

lawschool22 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:
robotrick wrote:
aonymous User wrote:Ties are pretty much a flame. If you can convince someone to go on a date with you you can convince a firm that you really want to be in city X.

I'm banking on this big time so I hope it's true


ETA: for anyone who doesn't know, HLSDope has the EIP stats in graph form for (imo) easier viewing than the spreadsheets from OCS

It also has links to Vault, Chambers, AM Law, and NALP for each firm office. Just give me 'til the weekend to get that part published.

While I'm here, anything else you're looking for in the research tool?

Edit: And grade stuff. We're working on grade stuff.


What section of the site is this under? I'm having trouble finding it.

I accessed the graphs through hlsdope.org/eip

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:42 pm

Junior associate, HLS grad here. I did EIP interviewing for my DC-based firm (V100? I don't pay attention to the rankings since we aren't at the top :D ) last year and we were looking for ties to DC (or a convincing "why DC"), general likeability, and genuine interest in the firm to give a callback. Being actually interested in the firm was huge. A couple folks had reached out to partners or the hiring people before EIP, and they got callbacks without a question because we knew they were serious about the firm. (The actual hiring after the callback had nothing to do with me, and that's really where grades came in. We didn't really have cut offs for callbacks, at least nothing formal, although that obviously won't be the case for higher ranking firms)

I definitely didn't reach out to anyone back in the day when I interviewed at EIP, but after seeing what a difference it made, I would recommend reaching out if there's a firm you're really into. This summer, ask a partner who went to HLS to go to lunch and talk about the firm (assuming you are summering in a city where that firm has an office). Email the recruiting coordinator and ask if they can recommend someone to talk to in a subject area you're interested in. It certainly isn't going to hurt you, and it can only help.

Good luck!!

User avatar
nothingtosee
Posts: 865
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:08 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby nothingtosee » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:02 am

DOPE IS KILLIN IT

Triptrip has made harvard a better place

Srsly have you talked to any people in the admin being like thank you?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:1 DS/ 5 H (both LRWs)/ 4 P

Really want lit boutique, planning on clerking, average work experience, doing a SA this summer.

Any that my grades lock me out from? E.g. Susman, Kellogg huber, keker, bartlit beck, Bancroft?

-nickel


4H (1 LRW) / 6P, same question. At a market paying lit boutique for 1L summer (though of a lesser caliber than those above). Same question?


I wouldn't count on being able to summer at one of these firms, regardless of your grades. Some of the boutiques just don't take summers period, or do so only occasionally. I believe Susman and Keker do come to EIP, but the number of students they hire is very small. Grades-wise, they probably are looking for people who will be competitive on the appellate clerkship market (think mostly H's). There's nothing wrong with applying, but you really should pick a primary market (or two) and focus on the big firms there. You can always reapply to the boutiques while clerking.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:45 am

Anyone know how firms might view a drastic change from fall semester grades to spring semester grades? I went from straight P's to straight H's. Will this look good, bad, or neutral? Will I need to explain my poor performance in the fall?

User avatar
MyNameIsFlynn!
Posts: 785
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:29 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how firms might view a drastic change from fall semester grades to spring semester grades? I went from straight P's to straight H's. Will this look good, bad, or neutral? Will I need to explain my poor performance in the fall?


Most firms seem to look at just the total number for the year, so you're probably in a good place. To the exgent that swing might raise some eyebrows, you'll want to say that it "took you a little while to get the hang" of law school exams or something. Just no excuses for first semester and you'll be golden

lawbeahs
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby lawbeahs » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:57 am

How do I stand for EIP with 2DS, 2H, and 6P? Am I safe bidding solely on Boston (fairly strong ties), or should I also bid on NY to be safe? Any firms I shouldn't waste a bid on with my grades?

Also, how does 2DS, 2H, 6P translate to firms? Do they just read it as 4H, 6P or more like 6H, 4P, or somewhere in between?

Thanks!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:22 pm

nothingtosee wrote:DOPE IS KILLIN IT

Triptrip has made harvard a better place

Srsly have you talked to any people in the admin being like thank you?

;)

Hey, someone with a JD17 login on CSM (everyone reading this thread): I need someone to email me the coded list of employers on the OCI tab by clicking File->Save Page As on that page. I will give you cookies or something if you do. OCS probably won't be able to help until Monday.

My email is triptrip@hlsdope.org


Got it. Thanks for the responses!

splat232
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby splat232 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:54 pm

If you don't receive a screener due to the lottery, but you're very interested in a firm, do people have any success reaching out to firms directly? Just seems weird to potentially miss out on an opportunity to work for a firm for no other reason than that the lottery algorithm didn't give you an interview slot.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 pm

splat232 wrote:If you don't receive a screener due to the lottery, but you're very interested in a firm, do people have any success reaching out to firms directly? Just seems weird to potentially miss out on an opportunity to work for a firm for no other reason than that the lottery algorithm didn't give you an interview slot.

Yeah, firms are fine with that. I've never heard of anyone being turned down. (I know we're at HLS, but "reaching out directly" is what pretty much everyone else in the world has to do.)

The reason it doesn't happen so often is that you'll get around 65% of the interviews you bid on. So unless you have more than 15 firms in mind that you absolutely positively want to interview with, just rank the ones you want first and you'll get them through the regular process.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:06 pm

How low can you rank some of the more overbid NYC firms (think Debevoise, Weil, Cravath) to still ensure that you get an interview?

User avatar
Single-Malt-Liquor
Posts: 1439
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:49 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:43 pm

Something to remember is that just about all of these firms have no problem with adding someone to the list. Reach out before or during EIP and they'll typically squeeze you in. It might be before or after hours, but they'll get you a screener.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:42 pm

Appreciate everyone's responses, thanks guys.

3 DS, 5 Hs, 2 Ps. Won a couple of 1L awards.

Any shot at Wachtell?

--WakaFlaka

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:54 pm

PSA: If you have more DS's than P's, you are competitive everywhere and should not make a "am I competitive for _______?" post.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2740
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:34 am

OK.

It's extremely ugly and missing a bunch of available information, but it is better than the raw table on CSM: HLS Dope EIP market viewer.

The search functionality isn't part of it yet, just market viewing. If one of the links doesn't work, I'd like to know that. I'll send out an email and put it on the homepage when it's more useable later this week.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273578
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Appreciate everyone's responses, thanks guys.

3 DS, 5 Hs, 2 Ps. Won a couple of 1L awards.

Any shot at Wachtell?

--WakaFlaka

What 1L awards were there to win, other than Sears which I don't think hasn't been announced yet?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.