HLS EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 pm

mino wrote:
Pneumonia wrote:On CSM, what does "estimated 2L slots" mean on "employer review" tab? I have lots of interviews for which that number is 0, but also firms I bid on but did not get an interview from that have a positive value in that field. So it doesn't make sense to me that it would mean interviews "scheduled" or "still available." Thoughts?


I've been told that sometimes you don't get interviews because there are no slots left and sometimes you don't get interviews because you have no room in your schedule that works with them. My guess is that the reason for not getting interviews in cases like this is the latter.

Yup.

This is why I added the green/yellow/red color code to the bottom of everyone's draft bid list. It's deceptively easy to overbid your personal schedule.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:16 pm

6 H's - interview with Susman. Does anyone know if that's below their requirements?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:10 pm

For people who have done this before, how many screeners is too many? I'm currently at 27 but there are a couple big firms in NY that I missed. If I can add those, should I delete some firms on my list? I have median grades.

User avatar
heythatslife
Posts: 897
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:18 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby heythatslife » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:For people who have done this before, how many screeners is too many? I'm currently at 27 but there are a couple big firms in NY that I missed. If I can add those, should I delete some firms on my list? I have median grades.

Would also like to know. I scored 24 screeners out of 26 bids, 7 of which will take place on the 14th. I'm wondering whether I should cut one or two out on the last day if I'm going to be so drained for the afternoon ones that it might impact my interview.

LS2515
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby LS2515 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:6 H's - interview with Susman. Does anyone know if that's below their requirements?


I would drop.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:54 pm

LS2515 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:6 H's - interview with Susman. Does anyone know if that's below their requirements?


I would drop.


Aren't you also a rising 2L?

Susman is a hard get, but it's definitely not all about grades. Delving into the stats a little bit, it seems like one office may be a little easier to get than some of the others, so maybe it depends on which one you bid.

But unless it's going to stress you out or something, why not do the interview? What could it hurt?

robotrick
Posts: 153
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:53 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby robotrick » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:43 pm

So if I missed 2 firms that I'm really interested in and there are no slots available to add them to my schedule, can/should I reach out to the recruiter to try to set up an interview outside the time frame? If it matters these are really big NYC firms that are interviewing lots of people as it is.

But unless it's going to stress you out or something, why not do the interview? What could it hurt?

Definitely agree (as another rising 2L)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:59 pm

Grades below SG cutoff.

User avatar
georgej
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:55 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby georgej » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:14 pm

Any tips for handling seven screeners on a single day? Like, are their special yoga moves or something I should do? Any good pump songs that reference the Charles hotel?

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:31 pm

robotrick wrote:So if I missed 2 firms that I'm really interested in and there are no slots available to add them to my schedule, can/should I reach out to the recruiter to try to set up an interview outside the time frame? If it matters these are really big NYC firms that are interviewing lots of people as it is.

Sure. It's harder but doable.

georgej wrote:Any tips for handling seven screeners on a single day? Like, are their special yoga moves or something I should do? Any good pump songs that reference the Charles hotel?

I could get you a cut of the HLS Parody of When I'm Gone, "At the Charles." :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:00 pm

2DS/6H/2P here. Here's what I have scheduled:

Covington DC
Gibson DC
Hogan DC
Krikland & Ellis DC
Latham DC
Paul Weiss DC
Sidley Austin DC
Skadden DC
Williams & Connolly DC
Boies NYC
Cleary NYC
Davis Polk NYC
Debevoise NYC
Paul Weiss NYC
Simpson Thacher NYC
Sullivan & Cromwell NYC
Susman NYC
Wachtell NYC

I'd like to, if possible, split next summer in DC and NYC. I'm leaning DC, but I've never lived in NYC, so I don't want to rule it out before having done it

Is this current list conducive to that goal? Are there firms on this list that are more likely than others to allow something like this?

Thanks!

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:59 pm

Guys, splitting a 2L summer between two law firms is not a thing. Yes, people do it, and it's expected (for two weeks) if you did a 1L SA. But it's not the norm. Most large law firms have a summer program, parts of which are intentionally structured chronologically. You start with the same class, go through the same workshops and sessions, and sometimes work on month long projects for the firm. Then all 50 of you leave at the same time. They don't like it when you jump between firms because you mess up this flow.

Now, most firm's summer programs are May-July, so if you can find a small or mid sized firm that will take you for August, the first firm probably won't care. Many people who you have heard split their summers do exactly this, or do this with their 1L firm, or with a gov internship. But finding a big law firm that will take you for five weeks at the end of the summer is going to be a challenge.

Caveat: I don't know about any of those firms specifically. I just have never met anyone anywhere who split between two big firms during 2L summer but hadn't worked at one before.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:51 pm

^ except Texas firms. I know of people who have done 3 x 4 weeks at boutiques, and there's a couple firms that do second half only (fish and Richardson and Andrews kurth I think). The flipside to that is basically no Texas firms do 10 weeks, so you might just get first 6 weeks offers

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^ except Texas firms. I know of people who have done 3 x 4 weeks at boutiques, and there's a couple firms that do second half only (fish and Richardson and Andrews kurth I think). The flipside to that is basically no Texas firms do 10 weeks, so you might just get first 6 weeks offers

That's true.

In Texas you could work at four different firms before you graduate, since they also love 1L summers.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:13 pm

Another exception would be MTO, which people routinely go to in the second half of their summer.
Of course, part of the reason behind that is MTO routinely no-offering people.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:18 pm

FWIW, I know of MANY people that have split with the above firms and between them.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:59 pm

If you can do it, go for it. I just want you to have realistic expectations about the process.

This might include using callbacks as an opportunity to evaluate the city. That's how I noped out of New York.

User avatar
Pneumonia
Posts: 1643
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:05 pm

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Pneumonia » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:09 am

In TX, you can do five: two 1L and three 2L. Never known anyone to do more than four tho.

yesman2380
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby yesman2380 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:55 am

1. What is the right way to go about trying to get a screener interview with a firm that you bid on but didn't get an interview with?

2. What is the right way to get a screener with a firm that you didn't bid on but have since realized that you want an interview with? (Do they know that you didn't bid on them?)

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 am

yesman2380 wrote:1. What is the right way to go about trying to get a screener interview with a firm that you bid on but didn't get an interview with?

2. What is the right way to get a screener with a firm that you didn't bid on but have since realized that you want an interview with? (Do they know that you didn't bid on them?)

They technically can know whether you bid on them because they get a copy of your resume, but usually don't bother checking and don't care if you didn't bid on them. Bidding to show you like a firm is (thank god) not part of this game.

Anyway, just email the recruiting contact.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:49 am

Am I screwed if I didn't do a secondary journal? I want corporate work and figured not spending 8 hours on a saturday as a cite checking monkey wouldnt be a big deal, but now I'm afraid it might have been.

User avatar
TripTrip
Posts: 2739
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby TripTrip » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Am I screwed if I didn't do a secondary journal? I want corporate work and figured not spending 8 hours on a saturday as a cite checking monkey wouldnt be a big deal, but now I'm afraid it might have been.

You're fine.

User avatar
jrf12886
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:52 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby jrf12886 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:32 pm

TripTrip wrote:Guys, splitting a 2L summer between two law firms is not a thing. Yes, people do it, and it's expected (for two weeks) if you did a 1L SA. But it's not the norm. Most large law firms have a summer program, parts of which are intentionally structured chronologically. You start with the same class, go through the same workshops and sessions, and sometimes work on month long projects for the firm. Then all 50 of you leave at the same time. They don't like it when you jump between firms because you mess up this flow.

Now, most firm's summer programs are May-July, so if you can find a small or mid sized firm that will take you for August, the first firm probably won't care. Many people who you have heard split their summers do exactly this, or do this with their 1L firm, or with a gov internship. But finding a big law firm that will take you for five weeks at the end of the summer is going to be a challenge.

Caveat: I don't know about any of those firms specifically. I just have never met anyone anywhere who split between two big firms during 2L summer but hadn't worked at one before.


I can attest that my firm (V10 NYC) has a policy that splitting with another firm is generally not allowed. There is an exception for those who did a 1L SA the previous year. Will some firms make an exception for you? Probably. But they do NOT like it, and it could be held against you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:42 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Guys, splitting a 2L summer between two law firms is not a thing. Yes, people do it, and it's expected (for two weeks) if you did a 1L SA. But it's not the norm. Most large law firms have a summer program, parts of which are intentionally structured chronologically. You start with the same class, go through the same workshops and sessions, and sometimes work on month long projects for the firm. Then all 50 of you leave at the same time. They don't like it when you jump between firms because you mess up this flow.

Now, most firm's summer programs are May-July, so if you can find a small or mid sized firm that will take you for August, the first firm probably won't care. Many people who you have heard split their summers do exactly this, or do this with their 1L firm, or with a gov internship. But finding a big law firm that will take you for five weeks at the end of the summer is going to be a challenge.

Caveat: I don't know about any of those firms specifically. I just have never met anyone anywhere who split between two big firms during 2L summer but hadn't worked at one before.


I can attest that my firm (V10 NYC) has a policy that splitting with another firm is generally not allowed. There is an exception for those who did a 1L SA the previous year. Will some firms make an exception for you? Probably. But they do NOT like it, and it could be held against you.


Welp, time to decide which city I like better.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273316
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12 pm

jrf12886 wrote:
TripTrip wrote:Guys, splitting a 2L summer between two law firms is not a thing. Yes, people do it, and it's expected (for two weeks) if you did a 1L SA. But it's not the norm. Most large law firms have a summer program, parts of which are intentionally structured chronologically. You start with the same class, go through the same workshops and sessions, and sometimes work on month long projects for the firm. Then all 50 of you leave at the same time. They don't like it when you jump between firms because you mess up this flow.

Now, most firm's summer programs are May-July, so if you can find a small or mid sized firm that will take you for August, the first firm probably won't care. Many people who you have heard split their summers do exactly this, or do this with their 1L firm, or with a gov internship. But finding a big law firm that will take you for five weeks at the end of the summer is going to be a challenge.

Caveat: I don't know about any of those firms specifically. I just have never met anyone anywhere who split between two big firms during 2L summer but hadn't worked at one before.


I can attest that my firm (V10 NYC) has a policy that splitting with another firm is generally not allowed. There is an exception for those who did a 1L SA the previous year. Will some firms make an exception for you? Probably. But they do NOT like it, and it could be held against you.


IME there will always be exceptions. I split with an NY V5 and a firm in CA and I wasn't the only one. Cravath specifically told me they do not allow splits except for touch backs, which was one reason I didn't go there, but I later found out that was a lie - Cravath let a summer split with a CA firm. The firm that abides by the no split policy most rigorously is probably Wachtell since they require 10 weeks, but even then you can swing it if the second half firm offers a very late start date. Davis Polk, S&C, and Simpson all allow splitting as long as your first 8 weeks are with them. Cleary doesn't like it but they won't stop you (and I know people who split with Cleary).

As far as getting an offer is concerned, it's never "held against you" so long as you complete the minimum number of weeks offered (typically eight).




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.