HLS EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: HLS EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:15 pm

Sorry, I must not have been clear. I know they come out over several days starting Monday. What I meant was, what thread should I look to see that it has started? Will anyone report it on a thread?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 pm

I have from a reputable source (or am one myself) that calls will go out beginning Monday.

robotrick

Postby robotrick » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sorry, I must not have been clear. I know they come out over several days starting Monday. What I meant was, what thread should I look to see that it has started? Will anyone report it on a thread?

I'd guess the Class of 2017 thread

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:41 pm

Does anyone know how callbacks work with firms that interview for international offices? Do they fly you out to the international office, or do you do callbacks with their head office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:00 am

Thoughts on pre-EIP interviews?

Jatt

Postby Jatt » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:21 am

Re: conversation about HLR calls--definitely on HLS Class of 2017 page, not here. This thread is already stressful enough.
Last edited by Jatt on Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:34 am, edited 4 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:27 am

Hey!

I'm also looking for advice on my current bid list. I'm bidding primarily in NY and DC just because I honestly don't know in which of those two markets I would like to begin my career. I'm hoping to split the summer between a NY firm and a DC firm (or even in the NY office and DC office of the same firm) to get a taste for both markets, though I am well aware that it is difficult/unlikely for me to be able to do so. I'm from Texas, so I am bidding a couple of Dallas firms just in case. If you have any thoughts (about firms I should eliminate/add, too many "reaches" and too few "targets" or "safeties," etc.), please let me know!

Information:

5 Hs/5 Ps, litigation-focused, K-JD, non-URM (but "diverse"), some DC "ties"

Bid list (in no particular order):

Vinson & Elkins (Dallas)
Baker Botts (Dallas)
Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP (NY)
Cleary, Gottlieb, Steen & Hamilton (NY)
Sullivan & Cromwell (DC) *
Cravath, Swaine & Moore (NY)
Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison (NY)
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (NY)
Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom (DC)
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher (NY)
Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher (DC)
Weil Gotshal & Manges (NY)
Wachtell, Lipton, Rosen & Katz (NY)
Kirkland & Ellis (NY)
Kirland & Ellis (DC)
Covington & Burling LLP (NY)
Covington & Burling LLP (DC)
Latham & Watkins (NY) *
Sidley Austin LLP (NY)
Sidley Austin LLP (DC)
Paul Hastings LLP (NY) *
Jones Day (DC) *
Hogan Lovells (DC)
Williams & Connolly LLP (DC)
Arnold & Porter (DC)
Steptoe & Johnson (DC)
O'Melveny & [deleted] (DC)
Debevoise & Plimpton (NY)
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett (NY)
Shearman & Sterling (NY)
WilmerHale (NY)
WilmerHale (DC)
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld (DC)
Boeis Schiller & Flexner (NY) *

* = denotes multiple bids, only one interview (so I will express interest for other market too)

Thanks in advance!

-- Cowboy

MyNameIsFlynn!

Postby MyNameIsFlynn! » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:24 am

Anon, you really need to order your bidlist so that we can give meaninfdul advice. It may not be necessary for the big NY firms who interview everyone, but a lot of DC firms have limited slots and will go soon. Random thoughts: cut tiny DC offices like SullCrom, and why Wachtell if you want lit?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Can someone discuss the importance of HLR and having a COA clerkship for EIP, given how early hiring was this year? I imagine they will be close to requirements for W&C, Munger, Keker, Susman. Anybody else?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:33 pm

Someone explain EIP to me like an idiot.

We start interviewing with August 10. Then when do callbacks start happening / when do people start flying down to NY, etc.?

- Village Idiot

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can someone discuss the importance of HLR and having a COA clerkship for EIP, given how early hiring was this year? I imagine they will be close to requirements for W&C, Munger, Keker, Susman. Anybody else?

I can't speak to Keker, but HLR is definitely not a requirement (or close to one) for W&C, Susman, or Munger.
Grades along with fit are what matter.

I'm sure having a COA clerkship is nice and will help you, but I doubt any firm is holding not having one against you. The vast majority of COA judges still haven't hired after all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:02 am

To add some numbers to the speculation:

Of full time (so, not summer) associates who graduated from HLS at each firm currently, the following is the number there were on HLR:

MTO: 3/10
W&C: 5/17
Susman: 0/5
KVN: 2/4

Frankly, those numbers are kind of shocking to me. I wonder where all the HLR people go.
Also, again, not the same as asking about summers. From experience, I know that HLR people tend to do well at EIP.

(NB: If they left it off their firm profile, I wouldn't have seen it. May also have miscounted, though I tried to be accurate.)

TripTrip

Postby TripTrip » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:Someone explain EIP to me like an idiot.

We start interviewing with August 10. Then when do callbacks start happening / when do people start flying down to NY, etc.?

- Village Idiot

Callback calls start August 11. Callback interviews start August 17.

hlsperson1111

Postby hlsperson1111 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:52 pm

I did a big thing about this (using c/o 2013 as my sample) several years ago and two things stood out:

(1) HLR members worked at a wide variety of places (I counted about 30 discrete employers and only saw one place with more than 2 HLR members (CSM)).
(2) There were almost no firms where it appeared that HLR membership was a requirement. Even Kellogg Huber, Cooper & Kirk, and other ultra-elite places that do SCOTUS and sexy appellate work will hire folks without HLR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Conversely, how much of a bump is HLR? If 6-7 Hs, are things in play that otherwise wouldn't have been?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:07 pm

TripTrip wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Someone explain EIP to me like an idiot.

- Village Idiot

Callback calls start August 11 10. Callback interviews start August 17.

I still remember the panic that set in when people were getting callbacks at 3pm on the first day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To add some numbers to the speculation:

Of full time (so, not summer) associates who graduated from HLS at each firm currently, the following is the number there were on HLR:

Frankly, those numbers are kind of shocking to me. I wonder where all the HLR people go.
Also, again, not the same as asking about summers. From experience, I know that HLR people tend to do well at EIP.

(NB: If they left it off their firm profile, I wouldn't have seen it. May also have miscounted, though I tried to be accurate.)

From what year? Those numbers seem way too low for the sheer number of associates from Harvard at those firms. Many recent graduates who summered at MTO/W&C/Susman are currently at their clerkships, and therefore wouldn't be reflected on the firm page. Several (I believe 3) of the MTO summers this year are on HLR. Of course it's far from a requirement though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Feedback would be much appreciated!

1) BACKGROUND: 4Hs. V5 internship 1L in CA. Graduate degree from Harvard in social sciences. Ties to socal, weak ties to nocal.

2) BID LIST REASONING: Targeting Silicon Valley (SV)/SF firms b/c of big interest in emerging companies/technologies work.
Main factors include (1) % of bid-to-interview; (2) number of emerging companies partners and leverage; (3) compilation of culture rankings. SV unless otherwise noted. I'm not bidding on too many firms b/c I would be happy at my 1L firm's SV location.

3) BID LIST (from highest rank to lowest rank)

Cooley (highest rank on bidlist)
Fenwick
WSGR
Pillsbury
Perkins
Gunderson
DLA Piper
WSGR SF
Latham
Goodwin
Orrick
Orrick SF
Wilmerhale
Sidley
Gibson
GDC
MOFO SF
MOFO PA
O'Melveny

jingosaur

Postby jingosaur » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm

Tag. Also August 10th callbacks? OMG!!!!!

Does anyone know when NY hiring is usually over for the most part?

Single-Malt-Liquor

Postby Single-Malt-Liquor » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:48 pm

jingosaur wrote:Tag. Also August 10th callbacks? OMG!!!!!

Does anyone know when NY hiring is usually over for the most part?

It all depends on need and acceptance rates. Traditionally the "better" firms finish sometime in September with things taking longer as you go down the vault rankings.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to remind you guys that picking a law firm is not like picking a law school. Don't use the vault rankings exclusively. Practice area, fit, and location are much better guides.

I picked a V20 over a bunch of V5/10 offers and have little doubt that it was the right move.
Last edited by Single-Malt-Liquor on Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

From what year? Those numbers seem way too low for the sheer number of associates from Harvard at those firms. Many recent graduates who summered at MTO/W&C/Susman are currently at their clerkships, and therefore wouldn't be reflected on the firm page. Several (I believe 3) of the MTO summers this year are on HLR. Of course it's far from a requirement though.

These are all the current associates at these firms that appeared on their website.
Obviously the associates currently clerking aren't counted, but all the former clerks who returned are (and you'd expect the average for the past seven or so years--the time between coming back from a clerkship and making partner--to be relatively consistent with what will happen to the current clerks).
Again, it's quite possible that some people didn't list HLR on their firm profile (though at Susman, everybody listed a different journal).

And yeah, many (most?) of the MTO, W&C, etc. summers in the current summer class are definitely on HLR.
I'm just curious what happens to them afterwards since they seem not to go back to these firms in particularly large numbers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:38 pm

On the other hand, last summer HLR had two people at W+C and none at any of the other firms mentioned above.

KaNa1986

Postby KaNa1986 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

These are all the current associates at these firms that appeared on their website.
Obviously the associates currently clerking aren't counted, but all the former clerks who returned are (and you'd expect the average for the past seven or so years--the time between coming back from a clerkship and making partner--to be relatively consistent with what will happen to the current clerks).
Again, it's quite possible that some people didn't list HLR on their firm profile (though at Susman, everybody listed a different journal).

And yeah, many (most?) of the MTO, W&C, etc. summers in the current summer class are definitely on HLR.
I'm just curious what happens to them afterwards since they seem not to go back to these firms in particularly large numbers.

A lot of HLR and top 15% students go to Cravath/Wachtell/S&C in New York, even though people on this board tend to deny that top students want NYC biglaw. I also know HLR people working at non-V5 firms in New York and other firms across the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:00 pm

BACKGROUND: 6 Hs, 4 Ps. 1L SA at a NY V15 (corporate), and interested in more of the same. No visibility on offer/no-offer until after bidding closes.

If I just bid the V25 in order, do I end up with a bidlist that will guarantee me interviews at all of the better corp shops (Cravath, S&C, DPW, Skadden, etc.), while getting enough safety interviews in the off-chance I get no-offered?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:44 pm

Background: Medianish, norcal ties, want transactional. A few firms omitted because of pre EIP interviews. Gibson and Arnold Porter are skippable, right?

Bidlist (all SF/SV, in order):

MoFo
Fenwick
Orrick
Cooley
Gunderson
Wilson Sonsini
Skadden
Ropes & Gray
Kirkland
OMM
Davis Polk