Below 3.0 at NYU... Need help for EIW...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Below 3.0 at NYU... Need help for EIW...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:20 pm

Hey guys, so I am need of some dire help. Have a below 3.0 gpa at NYU. First semester was going through some personal issues with family, but second semester I thought I did better, changed my studying methods and such, and found that I actually dropped below the 3.0 mark. I am extremely disappointed with my performance, but knowing that I can't really dwell on this, trying to be smart about EIW.

Have some experience/interested in a niche market. Told I come off as likable and personable in interviews. Obvs not shooting for like V10, but would maybe still try to take a shot as high as possible. Highest ranking firm I have in my list is Paul Hastings... Is even that too ambitious?? Could really use some advice. Thank you.

Anonymous User

Re: Below 3.0 at NYU... Need help for EIW...

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:31 pm

I'm assuming that by the 100+ views but lack of replies that I am fucked...

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:04 pm

I would make an appointment with career services ASAP and ask them:

1) who got hired at which firms with your GPA in the last several years;
2) Resources to find small to mid-size firms, with the intention of mass mailing them.

Last thing. I know people without offers at firms that got them as 2Ls or at 3L OCI. If you go empty handed and you really want to work in the private sector, you should be extremely strategic about your classes next year, and take easy classes. There is historical grade info available on NYU's website, so you can see which classes have given out the most As. If you raise your GPA, you'll have a good shot for 3L OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:19 pm

NYU alum. I was in the same situation couple years ago. I did 30+ interviews at doubletree, ended up with 3 callbacks and 1 offer before first day of class. It can be done. Stay positive, have interesting stories/what you learned from your summer job, sign up for all available interview slots. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:31 pm

Are you a highly sought after URM? Several of my close URM friends were in your position entering our early OCI with that type of GPA and comfortably got V15s.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:37 pm

Not URM and not V15. Happy to just get $160k

michael2015

Postby michael2015 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming that by the 100+ views but lack of replies that I am fucked...

This made my chuckle.

I would have responded but I have 0 knowledge about NYU EIW/OCI #s.

Best of luck though; strangers on the internet are cheering for you

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:52 pm

Hey OP, this is just anecdotal evidence meant to cheer you up. A friend with a 3.1 at a DNCG got two 160 SA offers and didn't have any special soft factors to make their resume exceptional. (not URM either). Their advice (same as anywhere on TLS): get as many interviews as you can and work any connections you have with profs/lawyers. Best of luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:45 pm

Friend with some smaller soft factors and a 2.8 or 2.9 got an offer and had about 5 callbacks. But you need to meet with Wendy or Irene before bids (not one of the others - it needs to be Wendy or Irene) to lock down that you're bidding for the best spots for your grades. Both will really pare your list to the right places, and Irene has a lot of knowledge of particular firms in that lower grade range (many of whom my friend refused to bid - which would have likely netted more CBs)

lonerider

Postby lonerider » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Friend with some smaller soft factors and a 2.8 or 2.9 got an offer and had about 5 callbacks. But you need to meet with Wendy or Irene before bids (not one of the others - it needs to be Wendy or Irene) to lock down that you're bidding for the best spots for your grades. Both will really pare your list to the right places, and Irene has a lot of knowledge of particular firms in that lower grade range (many of whom my friend refused to bid - which would have likely netted more CBs)

Going to second talking to Irene. She is sharp and knows the score. She's the best resource in that office, and there are lots of smart people in there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:35 am

lonerider wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Friend with some smaller soft factors and a 2.8 or 2.9 got an offer and had about 5 callbacks. But you need to meet with Wendy or Irene before bids (not one of the others - it needs to be Wendy or Irene) to lock down that you're bidding for the best spots for your grades. Both will really pare your list to the right places, and Irene has a lot of knowledge of particular firms in that lower grade range (many of whom my friend refused to bid - which would have likely netted more CBs)

Going to second talking to Irene. She is sharp and knows the score. She's the best resource in that office, and there are lots of smart people in there.

I'm going to third talking to Irene, was below media at NYU a few years back with a sharp decline in grades. Met with general Career service person, they were helpful in that "youre at NYU youre going to get a job" type of way. Met with Irene and she gave me real advice. NYU has a book with the call back range from every single firm that does OCI, with exact numbers for the lowest GPA called back and the highest GPA called back. GET ACCESS TO THAT BOOK (for some reason they don't like sharing it). Bid any and every firm that has every given an offer to an NYU student that has a 3.0 gpa or below. Also DO NOT CARE about pay/type of work/reputation for this summer. Goal should be get a biglaw job even if its at a place that is below market or bad reputation. From someone who tried 3LOCI, its much easier coming in with an offer, even at a shitty place, then coming from your second summer on PILC funding.

Also, in that book they have the names of students with sub-3.0 gpas and whether they are willing to get contacted, contact those students, they may have advice/be willing to help.

Return to “Legal Employment”