1L Summer Options: Compliance

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

1L Summer Options: Compliance

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:16 am

After a very interesting barbeque with some important people at the NYSE, I was tentatively offered a position with a securities company for my 1L summer. While I have ultimate hopes to work BigFed with a regulatory agency or for the Fed, I was wondering if this position would be of great help or of potential hindrance to my long term goals. Essentially, I am curious to see how compliance work is viewed by state or federal agencies who have a role in regulating and enforcing financial markets.

TL;DR How do governmental agencies view compliance work? Should I maintain these connections for my 1L summer or should I try to get more conventional legal work (firm/state agency)?

AreJay711

Re: 1L Summer Options: Compliance

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:30 am

As a general rule, what you do your 1L summer doesn't matter as long as you can spin it as good experience. You should be able to do so with a compliance gig. It should be good experience.

The one negative about the job would be if you wanted to do be a summer associate at a big firm your 2L summer. You should probably at least give it a shot with a firm so you enter 3L and the big fed job search with an offer on which you can fall back. Ideally, however, you work at a relevant agency at some point during law school to develop contacts and demonstrate your interest.

My advice would be to take the job (if it's paid) and try to extern with a regulatory agency at some point during your 2L year. Definitely maintain the connection, even if you don't decide to take the job 1L. Anyone capable of offering you a job at a finance firm (tentatively or otherwise) is worth knowing.

pancakes3

Postby pancakes3 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:35 am

OP is 0L?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:39 am

pancakes3 wrote:OP is 0L?

OP here. Yes. I am a 0L.

AreJay711 wrote: My advice would be to take the job (if it's paid) and try to extern with a regulatory agency at some point during your 2L year. Definitely maintain the connection, even if you don't decide to take the job 1L. Anyone capable of offering you a job at a finance firm (tentatively or otherwise) is worth knowing.

This was going to be my plan. Really appreciate the response!

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:56 am

0Ls aren't allowed to post questions in the Legal Employment forum. I'd move this to Ask a Law Student/Grad, but you're anon, and there's no anon function in that forum. Feel free to re-ask in that forum.

Return to “Legal Employment”