Columbia EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:25 pm

Has anyone heard back from LA firms? Sitting on 0 cbs right now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard back from LA firms? Sitting on 0 cbs right now

Skadden LA.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:31 pm

In general, are we supposed to be contacted if there is a rejection, given that this is a Columbia-sponsored event?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, are we supposed to be contacted if there is a rejection, given that this is a Columbia-sponsored event?

The lovely folks at Jones Day had posted on their door that OCS required certain information from the employers regarding their decisions, which would then be available from OCS at the interviewee's request. I'd say after a week or so, ask OCS about it.

Assuming the folks at Jones Day weren't trolling, OCS should either have the information and (hopefully) give it to you, or tell you that the firm hasn't gotten back to them. If the latter, they'll hopefully (but realistically, probably won't) follow up with the employer regarding their decisions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, are we supposed to be contacted if there is a rejection, given that this is a Columbia-sponsored event?

If you get a rejection, you'll usually either get an e-mail or a letter a week or two later.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

The lovely folks at Jones Day had posted on their door that OCS required certain information from the employers regarding their decisions, which would then be available from OCS at the interviewee's request. I'd say after a week or so, ask OCS about it.

Assuming the folks at Jones Day weren't trolling, OCS should either have the information and (hopefully) give it to you, or tell you that the firm hasn't gotten back to them. If the latter, they'll hopefully (but realistically, probably won't) follow up with the employer regarding their decisions.

JD is talking about the stuff you get in April regarding how many callbacks and offers each firm gave. They probably don't get that back to OCS for quite some time. But if you get rejected you'll generally get an email or snail mail in a week or two. I remember getting three separate emails from Paul Hastings letting me know I'd been rejected, so they're pretty good about really making sure you know.

Regarding the earlier discussion, every year at this time there is a large portion of people freaking out about few or no callbacks, and almost all of them end up with good jobs.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Regarding the earlier discussion, every year at this time there is a large portion of people freaking out about few or no callbacks, and almost all of them end up with good jobs.

This is also true. Sorry for stirring shit. Still bitter, I guess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:49 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JD is talking about the stuff you get in April regarding how many callbacks and offers each firm gave. They probably don't get that back to OCS for quite some time. But if you get rejected you'll generally get an email or snail mail in a week or two. I remember getting three separate emails from Paul Hastings letting me know I'd been rejected, so they're pretty good about really making sure you know.

Regarding the earlier discussion, every year at this time there is a large portion of people freaking out about few or no callbacks, and almost all of them end up with good jobs.

Good to know re Paul Hastings. And that bit about JD. I interviewed with Paul Hasting's Palo Alto firm and was really astounded by how much their practice groups lined up with my interests, but was starting to worry about the lack of a callback when my NY-interview counterparts all received e-mails Friday night congratulating them. Although, I had heard somewhere that Cali offices take a while longer to respond because the interviewers have to fly back over the weekend then discuss with their partners the week following, so fingers crossed.

Question re callbacks for Cali firms: does that happen in Cali or in New York, and if the former, do I have to pay for my own airfare or will the firms (fingers crossed) pay for my ticket?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:50 pm

The firm pays for everything, including plane tickets, hotel, meals, taxis, etc.

smaug

Postby smaug » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:06 pm

jbagelboy wrote:This is also true. Sorry for stirring shit. Still bitter, I guess.

No offense, but why were you bitter? You did quite well.

OCS is bad. That's a bit of a given.

There's an unfortunate amount of luck in legal hiring. (haha)

People can mass mail and do other things, but it's hard to say what people could have really done differently.

To me, EIP always seemed like "The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson. Each year someone ends up like the black mark, and everyone pretends as though this is a necessary part of the system, a required action to ensure the financial well being of years to come. A fertility sacrifice to the biglaw gods.

Obviously, to an extent, it's false. People can get unlucky. People can get lucky. Yes, there's skill involved! Yes, grades help!

But, there's no solution to the problem, because the 'problem' of legal hiring is a silly one that's without solution. And by 'problem' I don't mean that a particular firm doesn't give you, Candidate X, the job of your dreams. Rather, I mean that Candidate Y, who did most things right (like attend Columbia Law School), strikes out and is marked forever as a failure.

It's a sham.

Let's be real—even with four interviews, legal interviews are generally so absurd that there's effectively no screening mechanism in place. A conversation about sports, or about books, or about art doesn't say anything about what you'll be like in the workplace. There are awful people at every firm. Yes, some firms might be marginally better at sorting, but ask yourself, what really are they sorting for? Assertiveness? Ability to spew the designated "right" lie unblinkingly? Amiability in the face of absurdity?

But, despite the absurdity of this all, there's not much OCS could do to save you. The absurdity is intrinsic to the system. They can't give you a magic answer for "Why X firm" that will get you a job. Even giving you a list of firms that MIGHT POSSIBLY, under the right circumstances, be hiring won't do much for you in the end. You just gotta hope you're not the person who got the black mark that year.

I'm sorry for those of you going through EIP right now. It's a soulless process. It is only fun if you're willing to believe absurdities that Columbia Law students should be too smart to believe. It's dehumanizing, inefficient, 'unfair' and, again, absurd.

But it's the system we have.

Godspeed.

Ify.123

Postby Ify.123 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dechert CB (JB)

Did your dechert CB invitation come by phone or email?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:25 pm

Any Skadden NY movement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:28 pm

Jones Day (JJ)

NY.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:30 pm

Skadden LA initials?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48 pm

Any Linklaters and Allen & Overy movement?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 pm

any skadden/cravath/wilmerhale ny?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:00 pm

Can we, as a class, get drinks tomorrow immediately after EIP is over?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Looks like I got dings from: Clifford, Chadbourne, Fried, Willkie, Kramer Levin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:35 pm

"Looks like I got dings from: Clifford, Chadbourne, Fried, Willkie, Kramer Levin."

Grades?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Is it normal not to have heard back from any of the firms that were here today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:37 pm

Grades?

Below median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 pm

Also dinged from Chadbourne, Clifford Chance, Kramer Levin, Fried Frank

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Is it normal not to have heard back from any of the firms that were here today?

R u serious
Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:42 pm

Can we, as a class, get drinks tomorrow immediately after EIP is over?

Can we all get aggressively shitfaced together

whateverclever

Postby whateverclever » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:45 pm

God bless u smaug

Return to “Legal Employment”