Columbia EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:36 pm

That would be a huge turnoff - for me, at least, an autoding. Your LinkedIn page should be simple and 100% consistent with your resume. I.e.:

College
- any honors (cum laude, prizes, etc)
- activities (but these should check out with your resume - if you have any activities on linkedin that aren't on your resume, you are very likely to get asked about them because its a good way to push you off your script)
Professional career / Graduate School, if any
- blurbs about your work, same sort of stuff you put on your resume
Law School
- any honors, activities

You might be able to get away with putting high school on LinkedIn as well, if its a situation where you're trying to establish ties.

Generally, it is good practice before you start interviewing to clean up / make consistent your social media presence and your internet presence generally. I know some firms google applicants; make sure your FB/instagram/twitter privacy settings are set as tightly as possible (i.e., you will be interviewing with people who share mutual friends or went to your undergrad/LS a couple of years before you; under many common privacy settings they can see your posts). I'm sure OCS told you all this already but I've heard plenty of horror stories from colleagues at other firms, so it doesn't sink in for everyone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:48 pm

We all place our law school honors/awards on our resume, but few if any include them on LinkedIn unless we've graduated/transferred/left. Many of us don't like to bring attention to grades and academics in a context where friends and peers can see them. Is this a problematic inconsistency?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We all place our law school honors/awards on our resume, but few if any include them on LinkedIn unless we've graduated/transferred/left. Many of us don't like to bring attention to grades and academics in a context where friends and peers can see them. Is this a problematic inconsistency?

No. No one is gonna not believe you were Stone because it says Stone on your resume but not Linkedin.

More generally, for a lot of people Linkedin is going to include more than the standard one page resume, and that's fine. A resume is not intended to be a complete personal history, so don't feel like you've gotta shove everything on there.

I'd definitely avoid putting LSAT or SAT score on Linkedin. Undergrad GPA might look a little tacky too but it wouldn't be as bad. Something like an honors designation works much better.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:We all place our law school honors/awards on our resume, but few if any include them on LinkedIn unless we've graduated/transferred/left. Many of us don't like to bring attention to grades and academics in a context where friends and peers can see them. Is this a problematic inconsistency?

Not a problem - you CAN include them but certainly don't need to. But seeing as its going to be on your firm bio page in about 2 years, you should start getting used to that attention.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:19 pm

More generally, for a lot of people Linkedin is going to include more than the standard one page resume, and that's fine. A resume is not intended to be a complete personal history, so don't feel like you've gotta shove everything on there.

This is bad advice, unless you're willing to prep for your linkedin page. Interviewers will go to town on the stuff you've put on linkedin but left off your resume, since that's a big red flag that you don't want to talk about that stuff, which is exactly the sort of topic an aggressive interviewer will look to talk about in order to push you off-script.

You should aggressively curate your online presence prior to OCI. Most folks (me included) wont care and wont look for it, but I have friends at other firms who take almost a fiendish glee in catching these glitches.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:35 pm

If there's something you really don't want them to ask about then obviously get rid of it everywhere. If you were all in on public interest or something before law school you're gonna need an answer for that regardless of what you do with your linkedin.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:19 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:If you were all in on public interest or something before law school you're gonna need an answer for that regardless of what you do with your linkedin.

^^ what is a good answer for that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:36 am

Talk about it as little as possible and move on / change topic. "I decided it wasn't the path for me".

And if they follow up with "Why?" - "Because I saw what friends were doing in the for-profit sector, like this, and the work looked more interesting and exciting - this is the work I want to do"

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:34 pm

Hey all, so I literally just got accepted as a transfer at Columbia (Coming from a T20) and figured that before I read every TLS thread about the school that has ever been posted I'd ask the experts here for some broad advice. If I do end up transferring here, its nice to meet all of you lovely, anonymous folks!

1. How do transfers do at Columbia generally?
2. Am I too late for EIP?
3. Are there any off campus interview programs in different cities I can still participate in? Specifically interested in CA (Strong ties) and TX.
4. Transfer stigma?
5. Law Review / Moot still possible?
6. Are students at Columbia all gunners, super collegial, or the more likely unhappy medium where there are just enough dbags to keep you irked.

Thanks!!!

papercut

Postby papercut » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:17 pm

ForgotMyPassword wrote:Hey all, so I literally just got accepted as a transfer at Columbia (Coming from a T20) and figured that before I read every TLS thread about the school that has ever been posted I'd ask the experts here for some broad advice. If I do end up transferring here, its nice to meet all of you lovely, anonymous folks!

3. Are there any off campus interview programs in different cities I can still participate in? Specifically interested in CA (Strong ties) and TX.
4. Transfer stigma?
6. Are students at Columbia all gunners, super collegial, or the more likely unhappy medium where there are just enough dbags to keep you irked.

Thanks!!!

1. Don't know, but people earlier in the thread said transfers do great.
2. You shouldn't be too late for EIP, but you should definitely get in touch with someone at the school about this right now.
3. I know a few people are going to the Chicago IP thing. Haven't heard of people going anywhere elese.
4. I think there's a bit of transfer stigma, but that really depends on the individual interviewers.
5. I think you just missed the CLR deadline: http://columbialawreview.org/home/about ... n-process/
6. I think this year is very nice. There are about 400 people so I'm sure there's a mix of everything. You should have no problem finding a group of about a dozen people you'd enjoy hanging out with, no matter what you're into.

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:24 pm

papercut wrote:
ForgotMyPassword wrote:Hey all, so I literally just got accepted as a transfer at Columbia (Coming from a T20) and figured that before I read every TLS thread about the school that has ever been posted I'd ask the experts here for some broad advice. If I do end up transferring here, its nice to meet all of you lovely, anonymous folks!

4. Transfer stigma?

Thanks!!!

1. Don't know, but people earlier in the thread said transfers do great.
2. You shouldn't be too late for EIP, but you should definitely get in touch with someone at the school about this right now.
3. I know a few people are going to the Chicago IP thing. Haven't heard of people going anywhere elese.
4. I think there's a bit of transfer stigma, but that really depends on the individual interviewers.
5. I think you just missed the CLR deadline: http://columbialawreview.org/home/about ... n-process/
6. I think this year is very nice. There are about 400 people so I'm sure there's a mix of everything. You should have no problem finding a group of about a dozen people you'd enjoy hanging out with, no matter what you're into.

As to Law Review as a transfer, you still have a chance. You have to have a note published, though. I think the details are in the above link.

Laweorp

Postby Laweorp » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:02 am

:roll:

4. Transfer stigma?

Thanks!!!

1. Transfers do incredibly well at EIP. Interviewers love us.
2. No. You're just in time for EIP--which is why Columbia accepts transfers when they do.
3. yes--main EIP
4. Not that I've experienced. I did tremendously well at EIP as a transfer from a low t1. I got multiple V10 offers and even more outside of the v10. No stigma at CLS either, other than the initial "who are you?" look that you will inevitably get in the hallways at EIP. Just own that you are a transfer and everyone is fine.
5. Yes--you can try for law review or the secondary journals as a transfer. The secondary journal application process is incredibly simple. Just pick a journal that interests you.
6. I had significantly more gunners at the T1 I transferred from.
I also easily got high stone last year, as did most other transfers. Don't be intimidated by Columbia. If they accepted you--you will do fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:40 pm

New question: is CLS not handing out the first-year prizes this year? o.O

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:New question: is CLS not handing out the first-year prizes this year? o.O

The awards are posted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:New question: is CLS not handing out the first-year prizes this year? o.O

The awards are posted

publicly? where?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The awards are posted

publicly? where?

http://web.law.columbia.edu/prizes-awards/2015

ForgotMyPassword

Postby ForgotMyPassword » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:39 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied, it really helped! Good to know that Columbia seems like a transfer-friendly place.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:46 am

congrats to the transfers! welcome to CLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:39 pm

Hey guys, I'm starting to get into mass mail mode but unfortunately I can't start mass mailing because I have a scheduling problem that I need to figure out first, and I'm hoping someone can help me out with it.

So I'm planning on mass mailing a bunch of west coast firms and it seems like it’s a good idea (or even a requirement) to put in my cover letters “I will be in the area [X dates]” so I would be available to interview with those firms at those times, but I’m having a lot of trouble figuring out what a good time is to plan to be in the area. Since I will be mass mailing firms in multiple regions on the west coast, I think it is necessary I stay over there at least 4 days to give me plenty of time to travel from one place to the next. The only time I can arrange that trip before EIP is from Aug 1 – Aug 5th, but I’m worried that those times are too close to EIP (maybe I'll burn out prior to EIP, or just be too tired/not prepared enough). Alternatively, I could schedule to fly over Aug 18th- 21st/22nd (or really any time after EIP), and while the plane tickets during that time are considerably cheaper, I’m not sure if that would be a bad idea because of the CB timeline after EIP. though I have no idea how CBs are scheduled during that time. While I know that I have a little say in when I can schedule CB interviews I don’t know if it would be a terrible idea to be on the west coast for a whole week just a week or two after EIP after bidding nearly all NYC firms.

Halp?

[Edit: I'm in D.C. for the summer]
- Penguins

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Yes, we do look at LinkedIn.

Do you look for anything in particular? For example, some people have very detailed and long LinkedIn profiles and others have more barebones ones that may just list former employers and educational institutions, but dont have the same resume-like descriptions.

Also, let's say I hypothetically had a 2400 SAT and a 180 LSAT and a perfect UG GPA. While I would not allowed to showcase this on my resume, would making that prominent on LinkedIn be something a prospective employer would find appealing? Or would it be off-putting/showy/revealing of undesirable anal-retentiveness?

-Captain Fire

That would be extremely weird.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:51 pm

Hey all, I was hoping you could lend your wisdom to a lowly transfer student who is trying to make his bidlist. Would preferably like to practice in either Florida (first choice) or Chicago (second choice) but obviously want to bid NY because that's where all the jobs are.

I don't really know what I'm doing , so any advice would be much appreciated!!! (I also know I'm 6 over, so any advice on which ones I should cut out would be much appreciated). Primarily interested in work-life balance (read: relatively low billables) and then prestige.

Thanks again!!

1. Proskauer Rose (NY)
2. Baker & McKenzie (IL, FL)
3. Sidley Austin LLP (NY)
4. Skadden (NY)
5. Paul Hastings (NY)
6. WilmerHale
7. Weil Gotshal
8. Jones Day (IL, FL)
9. Paul Hastings (IL)
10. Ropes and Gray (IL)
11. Winston Strawn (IL)
12. Ropes and Gray (NY)
13. Gibson Dunn
14. Paul Weiss
15. Covington and Burling
16. Sullivan and Cromwell
17. O’Melveny & [deleted] (NY) decent hours and entertainment law
18. Debevoise & Plimpton
19. Milbank Tweed (decent hours)
20. Clifford
21. Paul Weiss
22. Davis Polk
23. Hogan Lovells (FL) (NY also, but no multiple)
24. Holland & Knight (FL)
25. While & Case (FL)
26. Fried Frank
27. Simpson Thacher
28. Cravath
29. Skadden (IL)
30. Arnold & Porter
31. Cahill
32. Lantham Watkins (IL)
33. Kirkland & Ellis
34. Linklaters
35. Greenberg Taurig (FL)
36. Foley & Lardner (IL, FL)

Adds:
Shearman & Sterling NY
White and Case NY
Wilkie farr (decent hours) NY
Hogan Lovells NY

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:52 pm

If you are interested in work-life balance, I would remove all the law firms from your list.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:54 pm

To the transfer who just posted his or her list:

I think you risk missing many if not most of your firms if you don't shave off a couple near the top. Actually, I should state more forcefully that you will miss a ton of these firms and you really need to re-do your list with the FFB in mind. This is how people strike out at CLS. Drop Baker. Maybe Drop Paul Hastings (depending on how competitive a candidate you are for other firms). Move SullCrom down and a few others up.

Lol at firms like Milbank having decent hours. O'Melveny may or may not survive; I might shed them too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback! I was just going off of what I saw on vault, and apparently that was mistaken.

Also only interested in corporate. Since it seems like VERY few people are interested in Florida or Chicago should I put all of those at the bottom and the NY firms on top? (Aside fr S&C, cravath and Simpson)

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks for the feedback! I was just going off of what I saw on vault, and apparently that was mistaken.

Also only interested in corporate. Since it seems like VERY few people are interested in Florida or Chicago should I put all of those at the bottom and the NY firms on top?

Yes. The less popular a firm is to bid on, the lower on your list it goes, and vise versa.

Do you have access to the first failed bid list? Vault, chambers, ect, may instruct your decision to interview with certain firms or to accept an offer, but they play no role in how you organize the firms within your list. That decision is strictly dictated by your chances of receiving an interview spot given how many other CLS students bid for the same firm. And no offense intended but your list is all sorts of fucked up on that count. Put all the popular NY firms you want first, at least one but more responsibly two spaces higher than their first failed bid last year

(e.g., you have Milbank at like 19; if you want Milbank, you have to bid them above their previous FFB, which was like 11. Same goes for Davis Polk, Paul Weiss, Debevoise, Gibson, Paul Hastings, ect.)

Return to “Legal Employment”