Columbia EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Tiago Splitter

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Tiago Splitter » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am also probably risking it at #12-22 given how close I've ranked them to FFB, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which firm I should cut out.

K&L Gates made a bunch of no offers last year so they're a good candidate for a cut. Also Schulte loves giving out offers to CLS students but it's pretty universally considered a terrible place to work and you've got the credentials to do really well so I wouldn't sweat leaving them off.

With your credentials and preferences I'm pretty sure you're gonna choose one of the dozen or so firms that are highly ranked across the board for the things you're interested in. Don't get too caught up in the process; make sure those you get interviews with all of the firms you'd realistically choose.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:06 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am also probably risking it at #12-22 given how close I've ranked them to FFB, and was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to which firm I should cut out.

K&L Gates made a bunch of no offers last year so they're a good candidate for a cut. Also Schulte loves giving out offers to CLS students but it's pretty universally considered a terrible place to work and you've got the credentials to do really well so I wouldn't sweat leaving them off.

With your credentials and preferences I'm pretty sure you're gonna choose one of the dozen or so firms that are highly ranked across the board for the things you're interested in. Don't get too caught up in the process; make sure those you get interviews with all of the firms you'd realistically choose.

Thanks. Could you possibly elaborate on why Schulte is considered a terrible place to work? It is in my list pretty much only because they seem to give a ridiculous # of offers.

-Fat Man Jungle

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:08 am

Kent. Not backdoor.

It seems like it is going to be very difficult to get an interview with Boies NY. First failed bid is 1, and there are twice as many bids as there are screeners.

Would it make sense to just apply to Boies before EIP, at, say, the end of June?

Do you just email them a resume, transcript, and a brief cover letter?

Thanks!

- Pancakes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:13 am

Did anyone do significantly worse in Ristroph's Crimlaw class compared to other classes? That class fucked me, and I'm wondering if she graded on a harsher curve (given that she's visiting, etc)

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Thanks. Could you possibly elaborate on why Schulte is considered a terrible place to work? It is in my list pretty much only because they seem to give a ridiculous # of offers.

-Fat Man Jungle

Anecdotes combined with Schulte always being near the bottom of the associate surveys for quality of life. Those rankings are far from perfect but it's not like we have much to go on.

Schulte also has a very narrow specialty (hedge funds) so if you want to try out a few different areas of corporate practice it's not a great choice for that reason alone.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

-Fat Man Jungle

Anecdotes combined with Schulte always being near the bottom of the associate surveys for quality of life. Those rankings are far from perfect but it's not like we have much to go on.

Schulte also has a very narrow specialty (hedge funds) so if you want to try out a few different areas of corporate practice it's not a great choice for that reason alone.

Thanks. I would like to make sure I get Cleary and DPW, so it seems like a great candidate for a cut.

-Fat Man Jungle

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:42 am

Thanks Tiago and jbagelboy. Just looked at the data and I agree that Cooley's not worth such a high spot. I think I'll strike it from the list entirely.

- Original Toaster

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:46 am

Kent here as well. Echoing the question above: when is it appropriate to mass mail Quinn, Boies? Should we wait until journals are released?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:07 am

does anyone have anecdotal evidence on what kind of people struck out at EIP last year? I have barely above a 3.0 and reading last years EIP thread makes me feel ill. The honors percentage thing doesn't seem to help me very much either, because not only do i not have honors, I am wayyyyyy below the honors cut-off.

Was it low grades? bad bidding? People who had no social skills? Combination of all 3?

I would just like to know what firms people with my GPA ended up at. Would OCS give me this kind of info?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:37 am

Did anyone do significantly worse in Ristroph's Crimlaw class compared to other classes? That class fucked me, and I'm wondering if she graded on a harsher curve (given that she's visiting, etc)

I did better. Pretty sure all profs use the same curve that's on Lawnet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Same- it was my best class, and like everyone else, I hated that class and did not pay attention.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:40 am

Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Totally valid points. For the massmails, I really can't lose notwithstanding the slim chances. For the DC bids like KE, WH, C&B, etc., they're all relatively low bids, they're all my preferred choices, and I really don't know what else I would replace them with in NY that I would be happy in- same thing with WLRK. You're probably right that I should dump Hogan-DC to better increase my chances at NY firms in bids 7-10 and keep Deb who gives out a lot of offers in NY. I'm having a really hard time of finding the proper balance between playing it risk-averse and bidding mainly NY and giving up my dream of DC, and bidding DC at the expense of NY market security. I just know that for most NY firms that focus on financial and corporate matters, even in litigation, I would not be happy there.

-Crutcher

I'm really sorry to be an interloper, since I didn't go to CLS and thus don't know anything about EIP strategy. But if you really want to be in DC, and have the grades to get in the door but not to make anything a lock, I think it'd be a pretty big mistake not to get an interview with Hogan. There are so few big classes in D.C. that you need to get pretty much all of the ones you meet the minimum qualifications for. Obviously you need to balance that with making sure you get a job anywhere, and I don't know how conservative someone in your position needs to be. Hopefully someone from CLS who tried for DC can confirm or deny that advice.

Appreciate your input. Is there a particular reason why you would recommend not cutting Hogan specifically? They only gave out 2 CLS offers last year. Given that it would put my bid at -1 margin from last year's FFB for 4 NY firms with bigger classes, I'm skeptical, but certainly open to persuasion.

-Crutcher

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:48 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

couldn't agree more with this as a general rule for competitive students

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Elston Gunn wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Totally valid points. For the massmails, I really can't lose notwithstanding the slim chances. For the DC bids like KE, WH, C&B, etc., they're all relatively low bids, they're all my preferred choices, and I really don't know what else I would replace them with in NY that I would be happy in- same thing with WLRK. You're probably right that I should dump Hogan-DC to better increase my chances at NY firms in bids 7-10 and keep Deb who gives out a lot of offers in NY. I'm having a really hard time of finding the proper balance between playing it risk-averse and bidding mainly NY and giving up my dream of DC, and bidding DC at the expense of NY market security. I just know that for most NY firms that focus on financial and corporate matters, even in litigation, I would not be happy there.

-Crutcher

I'm really sorry to be an interloper, since I didn't go to CLS and thus don't know anything about EIP strategy. But if you really want to be in DC, and have the grades to get in the door but not to make anything a lock, I think it'd be a pretty big mistake not to get an interview with Hogan. There are so few big classes in D.C. that you need to get pretty much all of the ones you meet the minimum qualifications for. Obviously you need to balance that with making sure you get a job anywhere, and I don't know how conservative someone in your position needs to be. Hopefully someone from CLS who tried for DC can confirm or deny that advice.

Appreciate your input. Is there a particular reason why you would recommend not cutting Hogan specifically? They only gave out 2 CLS offers last year. Given that it would put my bid at -1 margin from last year's FFB for 4 NY firms with bigger classes, I'm skeptical, but certainly open to persuasion.

-Crutcher

My only thinking is that there are literally only 7 or so firms in DC that have classes of 20 or bigger (I count Hogan as having the third biggest class in all of D.C. after Covington and W&C), and of those it's in the (slightly) less selective side of things. But that only two CLS people had offers last year is exactly the kind of info I don't have. if that's consistent over a couple years and not just a fluke (and they do a decent number of interviews--if it's 2 out of 10 screeners or something that's not too bad), cutting it could make sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:02 am

Posting Bidlist for comment. Any feedback would be appreciated. 3.52, 2 yrs paralegal experience, would prefer NY but I threw some DC firms on there just in case one bites.

No city named means NY, FFB in parenthesis.

1) Shearman & Sterling (2)
2) Kirkland & Ellis (2)
3) Gibson Dunn & Crutcher (4)
4) Skadden (4)
5) Debevoise (6)
6) White & Case (7)
7) Jones Day (9)
8 ) Milbank (11)
9) MoFo (12)
10) Paul Weiss (14)
11) SulCrom (14)
12) Debevoise DC (15)
13) Cahill (16)
14) Cleary (17)
15) Davis Polk (19)
16) Cadwalader (17)
17) Fried Frank (19)
18) Latham (20)
19) Cooley (22)
20) Skadden DC (24)
21) Cravath (26)
22) Covington & Burling DC (25)
23) Crowell & Moring DC (25)
24) Cleary DC (NA)
25) Latham DC (NA)
26) Axinn Veltropp DC (NA)
27)
28)
29)
30)

Also, if anyone has any ideas for the last four spots (interested in lit, maybe securities or antitrust lit) I'd love some feedback on that.

Thanks,

Tywin

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have anecdotal evidence on what kind of people struck out at EIP last year? I have barely above a 3.0 and reading last years EIP thread makes me feel ill. The honors percentage thing doesn't seem to help me very much either, because not only do i not have honors, I am wayyyyyy below the honors cut-off.

Was it low grades? bad bidding? People who had no social skills? Combination of all 3?

I would just like to know what firms people with my GPA ended up at. Would OCS give me this kind of info?

I would try to ask OCS about strikeouts; last year we had a panel where a couple people who hadn't found work at large firms (but ended up with firm jobs in the fall after mass mail) came and spoke. TBH I know a couple people who didn't get an offer through EIP, but they all eventually landed offers from market paying firms through other channels. There are presumably people who completely struck out, I just don't know of a single one personally.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Same- it was my best class, and like everyone else, I hated that class and did not pay attention.

Great. And to think that that shit class fucked me out of Kent..

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:does anyone have anecdotal evidence on what kind of people struck out at EIP last year? I have barely above a 3.0 and reading last years EIP thread makes me feel ill. The honors percentage thing doesn't seem to help me very much either, because not only do i not have honors, I am wayyyyyy below the honors cut-off.

I would try to ask OCS about strikeouts; last year we had a panel where a couple people who hadn't found work at large firms (but ended up with firm jobs in the fall after mass mail) came and spoke. TBH I know a couple people who didn't get an offer through EIP, but they all eventually landed offers from market paying firms through other channels. There are presumably people who completely struck out, I just don't know of a single one personally.

I guess i'm talking about striking out during EIP only. I want to avoid the stress of having to hustle and mass mail by all costs.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I guess i'm talking about striking out during EIP only. I want to avoid the stress of having to hustle and mass mail by all costs.

if you have bad grades, and I mean, well below median, you should be hustling/mass-mailing now starting by the end of this month. don't wait for EIP to take action. sure, you'll probably still get something through EIP, but if you want to minimize stress and guarantee an offer, hustle early and hustle hard. this is your career

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess i'm talking about striking out during EIP only. I want to avoid the stress of having to hustle and mass mail by all costs.

I think you're heading down the wrong path by thinking of mass mailing as a stress to be avoided. It's something you absolutely should be doing -- and not after EIP is over. (Though you should do it then too). Especially if you are the same anon who has around a 3.0

Signed, an EIP strike out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:00 pm

Where should we mass mail if we only have NYC ties?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:15 pm

It's annoying that we don't have greater information on the range of grades, but just honors or not. Debevoise for instance seems reasonable to bid on since they are 50% honors, but I imagine that those that don't have honors should be around median to have a shot?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:39 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed at length in prior threads, but what's our consensus as to where median actually falls? I've always assumed somewhere in the 3.25-3.3 range, or maybe a bit higher, though I'm pulling that number from basically nowhere

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:52 pm

I also wonder to what extent employers give a better look at an individual who did poorly the first semester but then did median during the second. That's my scenario right now. I'd be pretty solid median if it weren't for my shitty 1st semester grades.

Secondly, is there any realistic way of grabbing proskauer sidley and paul hastings? Then there is also Kirland. These are all firms I would like to bid on given my GPA, but they all hover in the 1-2 range. I guess perhaps whatever I don't get I can maybe try and schedule by emailing the firm? But I'm even scared of just getting 1/3.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm sure this has been discussed at length in prior threads, but what's our consensus as to where median actually falls? I've always assumed somewhere in the 3.25-3.3 range, or maybe a bit higher, though I'm pulling that number from basically nowhere

It's 3.3-3.33, give or take. Some potential fluctuation but around straight B+s. Stone's not that much higher at 3.41, which could be anywhere from top third to top 40%.

To the other guy asking about Debevoise, given how high their offers by honors has been before this year, I'd assume you'd need to be around median at least to have a chance. I don't think their 50% offers by honors indicates a willingness to accept any Columbia student.

Return to “Legal Employment”