Columbia EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any DPW offerz?

Previous DPW summer here. We got a list of offered cls 2Ls; there are at least 15.

I wonder if this includes Friday callbacks?

Meep115

Postby Meep115 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Previous DPW summer here. We got a list of offered cls 2Ls; there are at least 15.

Firms do this?! Even before the list is complete?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:12 pm

Meep115 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

they want the 3L's to recruit the 2L's. Lots of firms do this

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:28 pm

any one do ropes cb yet? any advice on how things go?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:13 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:
Meep115 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

they want the 3L's to recruit the 2L's. Lots of firms do this

What do you mean by "recruit" the 2Ls? Thanks

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you mean by "recruit" the 2Ls?

They send an email to the people just finishing up their summer letting them know which rising 2L's have received offers and who has accepted. The hope is that rising 3L's will reach out to rising 2L's who may be considering that firm in the hopes that the rising 3L's will be able to close the deal. More than anything I think they figure that if you're a rising 3L who is going to accept an offer and you see a person a year behind you who you are friends with you'll reach out to that person and tell them what an awesome place XYZ firm is.

Most importantly, the firm will likely pay for cocktails so if you know a 3L who summered there and you're a 2L who has an offer and would like a free drink in order to be convinced this is your chance.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:08 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

They send an email to the people just finishing up their summer letting them know which rising 2L's have received offers and who has accepted. The hope is that rising 3L's will reach out to rising 2L's who may be considering that firm in the hopes that the rising 3L's will be able to close the deal. More than anything I think they figure that if you're a rising 3L who is going to accept an offer and you see a person a year behind you who you are friends with you'll reach out to that person and tell them what an awesome place XYZ firm is.

Most importantly, the firm will likely pay for cocktails so if you know a 3L who summered there and you're a 2L who has an offer and would like a free drink in order to be convinced this is your chance.

what a sad, gross system. do people not recognize that NOBODY in the rest of the world knows or cares which shitty law firm you work for? are you just trying to make up for not being cool in high school?

lawman84

Postby lawman84 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

what a sad, gross system. do people not recognize that NOBODY in the rest of the world knows or cares which shitty law firm you work for? are you just trying to make up for not being cool in high school?

I'm a bit confused by this response. People in the law world care...especially people in law school. So it makes a lot of sense to have 3Ls that summered with the firm try to convince 2Ls that they know to work for the firm. And yes, those 2Ls do care what law firm they work for. I also am not really sure where high school plays into all of this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:41 am

Tiago Splitter wrote:

Do 3Ls get a say in which 2Ls are made an offer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:37 am

What's the procedure for on the spot callbacks? I had an interviewer tell me that they would love to have me come down to the firm to meet more people, I just kind of said that's great but didn't capitalize on it, and now I haven't heard from them. Did I do something wrong or should I just sit tight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Baker & McKenzie DC CB via email

Waitwaitwait. Yesterday, or today?

I can get dings... today?!?!

I got it yesterday.

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone here heard from Skadden DC?

Yes.

PW or MH? Asking for a friend.

My Skadden DC CB was from MH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:11 am

Any Cadwalader offers?

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Do 3Ls get a say in which 2Ls are made an offer?

Not after the interview, but your chances are typically better if someone puts in a good word for you beforehand. That said I think most of the benefit takes place in getting people pre-OCI interviews.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:16 am

any one do ropes cb yet? any advice on how things go?

Had mine this past week. It was similar to having 4 screeners, except they're a little longer and the attorneys you meet with appear to put on less of a facade. The advice in the callback tips thread seemed to work pretty well - you cleared the credentials hurdle, so just be able to shoot the shit for 30 minutes and get people to like you. I'm still waiting to hear back from them though, so maybe my advice sucks.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Tiago Splitter wrote:

Weak anon post, bro. Go throw shade in another thread. Where you summer is one of the bigger career decisions you'll make in law school. Friends and other students that summered at a firm you're considering play a large role your choice, that's how social peer networks operate; it would be lazy of the firms not to capitalize on it, the same way they capitalize on the stylized bourgeois aspirations and class anxiety of ivy league law students with tasting menu dinners and black cars.

Who gives a shit about lay opinion? You're trying to make the choice that's right for you and your professional development in this field. The decision - like the choice of law school - should have as little to do with how non-lawyers perceive it as possible.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:37 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Weak anon post, bro. Go throw shade in another thread. Where you summer is one of the bigger career decisions you'll make in law school. Friends and other students that summered at a firm you're considering play a large role your choice, that's how social peer networks operate; it would be lazy of the firms not to capitalize on it, the same way they capitalize on the stylized bourgeois aspirations and class anxiety of ivy league law students with tasting menu dinners and black cars.

Who gives a shit about lay opinion? You're trying to make the choice that's right for you and your professional development in this field. The decision - like the choice of law school - should have as little to do with how non-lawyers perceive it as possible.

(Not projecting at all guy)

For me it was the endless bourbon.

Back on topic: Of course the opinions of people you know are relevant. If it wasn't part of your calculus that a bunch of people you like/are not insufferable are going to Firm A and everyone you know to be a boring gunner aspie is going to Firm B, then you wouldn't be thinking in the way you should.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:45 pm

So, I'm massmailing firms (will be sending a wave of emails tomorrow morn), but to what extent does it make sense to badger OCS about more potential opportunities of getting screeners or anything for that matter? Is it a waste of time? For any of the upperclass people who struggled or know people who did: are those of us with few or no callbacks just wasting our time with them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:40 pm

I'm assuming being told from MMing pre-OCI to go to their hospitality suite and then failing to get a spot through that is essentially a ding and any further inquiry is useless?

Humbert Humbert

Postby Humbert Humbert » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm assuming being told from MMing pre-OCI to go to their hospitality suite and then failing to get a spot through that is essentially a ding and any further inquiry is useless?

I wouldn't assume that. Maybe they were just too busy/full to squeeze you in during EIP, or maybe their yield is looking lower than expected following EIP. I don't see any downside to just re sending your stuff and hoping for the best.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:10 pm

any on the spot offers from Cravath on Friday/Saturday?

If not, did they just give you a piece of paper with the names of the people you interviewed with at the end?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:28 pm

whats the appropriate follow up (if any) for firms you didnt interview with but stopped by the hospitality suite and gave your resume and transcript to the recruiter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:whats the appropriate follow up (if any) for firms you didnt interview with but stopped by the hospitality suite and gave your resume and transcript to the recruiter?

I mass-mailed them. I couldn't imagine it would hurt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:23 pm

What is mass mailing and what documents do you provide the firms with?

mylifeis24

Postby mylifeis24 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What is mass mailing and what documents do you provide the firms with?

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=195818

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 am

Does anyone have a Paul, Weiss offer?

Return to “Legal Employment”