Columbia EIP 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess these firms aren't going to get cute and offer callbacks over a week after the screener? It's too bad, they only get cute with rejections. Looks like it's failure from the top of the bid list to the bottom, damn.


At least let us know EARLY that we're not wanted. A simple "Sorry, no" would suffice. Instead, they drag this out and cause me to prematurely age.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:12 pm

"You go to Columbia Law School," they said. "Hundreds of firms are looking for Columbia students," they said.







:evil:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:"You go to Columbia Law School," they said. "Hundreds of firms are looking for Columbia students," they said.







:evil:

They do let you know that it happens, nothing is guaranteed, but they don't do a great job of explaining why it happens or what these people are looking for or even what to do next. I guess I just didn't worm my way into the particular interviewer's sympathies enough by seeming too stiff? or didn't sell my competency and work ethic hard enough? or sold it too hard so it became obnoxious? They really can come with any excuse they want for why you're not a fit. The failure speaks for itself, but I don't know what it is saying about me or about them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:They do let you know that it happens, nothing is guaranteed, but they don't do a great job of explaining why it happens or what these people are looking for or even what to do next. I guess I just didn't worm my way into the particular interviewer's sympathies enough by seeming too stiff? or didn't sell my competency and work ethic hard enough? or sold it too hard so it became obnoxious? They really can come with any excuse they want for why you're not a fit. The failure speaks for itself, but I don't know what it is saying about me or about them.


My OCS communication has basically been this.

Me: I need help mass-mailing.
OCS: First, how many call-backs did you get?!
Me: None.
OCS: Oh. Well, how many rejections did you get?
Me: Half of them.
OCS: Oh. Well, that's still half of them to go!
Me: So how should I plan my mass-mailing?
OCS: Oh. Well, you still have to hear from some.
Me: This far out? Not good news.
OCS: Oh. Well...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:45 pm

I don't understand why they seem to be so opposed to mailing and why they seem to have this annoying habit of keeping people hopeful of responses when its increasingly clear that the remaining unanswered interviews are dings. I have heard bs fed to students about "firms are responding slowly/late this year," which just makes students complacent. It seems to me that firms have responded this year no differently to last. They should be trying as hard as they can to contact firms right now to try and secure more interviews, but instead they just give bullshit lip service to students.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:25 pm

Anyone hear from OMM LA, Gibson Dunn LA, or White & Case LA? No CB but no dings either...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:58 pm

WilmerHale LA (KM)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:04 pm

Any "day of" offers from Cravath?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't understand why they seem to be so opposed to mailing and why they seem to have this annoying habit of keeping people hopeful of responses when its increasingly clear that the remaining unanswered interviews are dings. I have heard bs fed to students about "firms are responding slowly/late this year," which just makes students complacent. It seems to me that firms have responded this year no differently to last. They should be trying as hard as they can to contact firms right now to try and secure more interviews, but instead they just give bullshit lip service to students.


last year, while i was waiting a VERY long time to hear back from firms, OCS told me mass mailing wasn't necessary. i mass mailed anyway and landed a straight-to-callback with a Vault firm in my desired market (a more difficult market than NYC). that ended up being my only offer from that market. i was a SA at that firm this year and just accepted a full-time offer to return after i graduate.

OCS told someone i know to also wait about mass mailing. dunno if that was the direct cause of anything, but he/she ended up striking out.

(edited for spelling)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:13 pm

McDermott (TS) by email

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 pm

Stroock ding

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:22 pm

For those doing mailings I would be up to meet with some over the weekend to do them together. This is a lonely, terrifying, and anxiety-ridden process and I wouldn't mind having some others to mingle with.

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:32 pm

We have all been saying for MONTHS now, DO NOT WAIT TO MAIL, if you haven't heard from a new york firm in 48 hours its almost certainly a ding, START EMAILING RECRUITERS YOUR RESUME TODAY by searching on NALP directory. Seriously all the 3Ls/grads have given this advise from the beginning: don't listen to career services, they don't necessarily have your best interests at heart; if you're median or below, mail every firm you missed a bid on and every firm in a secondary market

OCS won't help you mail because they are LAZY and PROTECTIVE of EIP as the only route to firms. They try to block or interrupt seminars and panels discussing alternative routes to biglaw on campus during the spring. They manufacture a narrative about EIP.

You just copy paste an email and a form message several hundred times with your materials attached and change the names or add minor details about a firm event you attended, and follow up on any networking you did in the spring.

Anyone who wants help or advise with this can pm us

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:42 pm

Has anyone gotten offers from CBs yet?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers from CBs yet?


Yes

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:last year, while i was waiting a VERY long time to hear back from firms, OCS told me mass mailing wasn't necessary. i mass mailed anyway and landed a straight-to-callback with a Vault firm in my desired market (a more difficult market than NYC). that ended up being my only offer from that market. i was a SA at that firm this year and just accepted a full-time offer to return after i graduate.

OCS told someone i know to also wait about mass mailing. dunno if that was the direct cause of anything, but he/she ended up striking out.

When I transferred in to Columbia, one of my first meetings was with a CSO adviser who was both chill and gave me solid advice on my resume. I was super pleased that unlike my old school where only a couple of the advisers were worthwhile, I would finally be at a university where they had it together.

Super disappointing to know I was wrong, telling people not to mass mail is the shittiest advice possible and is borderline actively screwing students. Even if you have a few callbacks, what could it possibly hurt to massmail up until the moment you have an offer in hand at a firm you like?

User avatar
jbagelboy
Posts: 9647
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:last year, while i was waiting a VERY long time to hear back from firms, OCS told me mass mailing wasn't necessary. i mass mailed anyway and landed a straight-to-callback with a Vault firm in my desired market (a more difficult market than NYC). that ended up being my only offer from that market. i was a SA at that firm this year and just accepted a full-time offer to return after i graduate.

OCS told someone i know to also wait about mass mailing. dunno if that was the direct cause of anything, but he/she ended up striking out.

When I transferred in to Columbia, one of my first meetings was with a CSO adviser who was both chill and gave me solid advice on my resume. I was super pleased that unlike my old school where only a couple of the advisers were worthwhile, I would finally be at a university where they had it together.

Super disappointing to know I was wrong, telling people not to mass mail is the shittiest advice possible and is borderline actively screwing students. Even if you have a few callbacks, what could it possibly hurt to massmail up until the moment you have an offer in hand at a firm you like?


I don't think you need to mail if you're an honors student with 5+ callbacks, although others might be more aggressive. But if you have one or two (or zero) cbs, yea, you should treat this like any job application process and pound that pavement

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers from CBs yet?


Yes

Which firm? Post-EIP CB and offer? That's quick.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone gotten offers from CBs yet?


Yes

Which firm? Post-EIP CB and offer? That's quick.


Yes. Cahill and STB.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:25 pm

DPW, Weil, and STB. Also heard one person got a Cravath offer but he was a former Cravath paralegal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:41 pm

Got a cravath same day offer, three other people who interviewed at the same time as me (diff interviewers obviously) but they weren't from columbia

Good luck to all, guys it's a crazy hellish process, but my grades were only decent, just relax and be yourself and hopefully they love you!

(Also only had 4 CB's btw, so I'm not like rolling in them either)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:42 pm

When did you interview?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:43 pm

Skadden ding (DY)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273386
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Got a cravath same day offer, three other people who interviewed at the same time as me (diff interviewers obviously) but they weren't from columbia

Good luck to all, guys it's a crazy hellish process, but my grades were only decent, just relax and be yourself and hopefully they love you!

(Also only had 4 CB's btw, so I'm not like rolling in them either)


Grades were only decent
.
Cravath.

Only decent.

Cravath.

Only had 4 CBs.

Cravath.


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

User avatar
smaug
Posts: 12654
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:31 pm

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Postby smaug » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm

(although it's kinda funny, someone's only offer might be Cravath, and even more shocking many folks would rather work someplace other than Cravaaaath)




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.