Columbia EIP 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:07 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Echoing what was said above, for those candidates with strong credentials, there are several firms that will interview with your pre-eip. I'm a rising 3L and last year I had interviews with Cravath, Davis Polk, and Skadden before EIP (and had 2/3 offers before EIP as well, with the third coming soon after). Can't hurt to cold email recruiting a copy of your resume, and call in any close contacts you made at the networking events.

Fair warning, reaching out to firms might be against some OCS policy, but idgaf. It made the whole process so much easier.
Any advice for someone who is working internationally and cannot interview in person in NY pre-EIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:35 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Echoing what was said above, for those candidates with strong credentials, there are several firms that will interview with your pre-eip. I'm a rising 3L and last year I had interviews with Cravath, Davis Polk, and Skadden before EIP (and had 2/3 offers before EIP as well, with the third coming soon after). Can't hurt to cold email recruiting a copy of your resume, and call in any close contacts you made at the networking events.

Fair warning, reaching out to firms might be against some OCS policy, but idgaf. It made the whole process so much easier.
Yeah, but "strong credentials" for you = law review + Kent and unfortunately, 90%+ people don't fall in that category...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, but "strong credentials" for you = law review + Kent and unfortunately, 90%+ people don't fall in that category...
Probably 97%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:40 pm

It doesn't have to be Kent, but probably some kind of Stone + work experience in financial services.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It doesn't have to be Kent, but probably some kind of Stone + work experience in financial services.
The above poster with the pre-EIP Cravath, DPW, and Skadden callbacks had better grades than that, is all. Worth noting before you go down that route.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It doesn't have to be Kent, but probably some kind of Stone + work experience in financial services.
The above poster with the pre-EIP Cravath, DPW, and Skadden callbacks had better grades than that, is all. Worth noting before you go down that route.
What about mid-Stone? Like 3.6? Would that be worth contacting firms like Cravath, DPW, and Skadden pre-EIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:52 pm

As the journal preference ranking change is coming up, I was wondering how people generally view the "prestige" of each journal. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:53 pm

I'm pretty sure it's 1) LR 2) Everything else.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm pretty sure it's 1) LR 2) Everything else.
Echoing above, I was told that if not LR, just go with the one with the least amount work as they are all the same (for EIP purposes). Please correct if wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 11:59 pm

I'm the poster who was quoted.

I mean, I prioritized transnational and business simply because I didn't want to look like I was some kind of SJW. But it's up to you.

- Strauss' Mouse.

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:As the journal preference ranking change is coming up, I was wondering how people generally view the "prestige" of each journal. Any advice?
there are two levels of prestige

law review

not law review

don't choose something because you think it's prestigious

signed,

former board member of a ~prestigious~ secondary journal
Last edited by smaug on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:05 am

Anyone still waiting for grades? For people in Bobbitt's section, I think Crim grades are still not up?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:20 am

Harcourt section. Yup still waiting on two grades.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Any advice for someone who is working internationally and cannot interview in person in NY pre-EIP?
it doesn't matter; you don't need to interview pre-EIP. don't let what others are doing psyche you out. the vast majority of offers will still go out after EIP.
Anonymous User wrote:As the journal preference ranking change is coming up, I was wondering how people generally view the "prestige" of each journal. Any advice?
go where you like the people most on the incoming board and where your substantive interests might lie for note-writing purposes, if you're so inclined. while there's nothing prestige related about journals there are personalities; there were/are definitely some journals where I like everyone or nearly everyone on them, and others where that's not the case... To the extent I could consider journal a worthwhile/enjoyable experience it's because I spent time around people I liked and respected

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone still waiting for grades? For people in Bobbitt's section, I think Crim grades are still not up?
Expecting a B- in that class didnt go to maybe 80% of the classes lolol

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone still waiting for grades? For people in Bobbitt's section, I think Crim grades are still not up?
This is up.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:58 am

I have about a 3.1, so below median. Any advice on my bid list? 3+ years of decent WE.
Rank Firm Name
1 Baker & McKenzie LLP
2 paul hastings llp
3 proskauer rose llp
4 sidley austin llp
5 Linklaters
6 Shearman & Sterling LLP
7 O'Melveny & Myers LLP (New York, NY - Transactional ONLY)
8 mayer brown llp
9 Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
10 White & Case LLP
11 Ropes & Gray LLP
12 Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
13 Arnold & Porter LLP
14 Clifford Chance US LLP
15 goodwin procter llp
16 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
17 Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
18 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
19 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
20 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
21 Dechert LLP
22 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP
23 Kaye Scholer LLP
24 Jones Day
25 Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
26 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
27 Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
28 Seward & Kissel LLP
29 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
30 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
31 Reed Smith LLP
32 katten muchin rosenman llp
33 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
34 Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
35 Chadbourne & Parke LLP
36 Hogan Lovells US LLP
37 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
38 King & Spalding

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:41 pm

In what world do we get 38 bids?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:08 pm

I need to cut down, but just listed all the firms I had in mind. What do you guys think? Maybe I should remove the reaches like weil or sidley? Anyone want to opine on ordering?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:15 pm

you need to cut in various places

did anyone get proskauer at 3 last year? or shearman at 6?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Jason Taverner wrote:you need to cut in various places

did anyone get proskauer at 3 last year? or shearman at 6?
This entire bid list is off, starting at the top. Look at the discrepancies between your bid and the FFB from last year (in parenthesis), with problems in bold.

1 Baker & McKenzie LLP (2)
2 paul hastings llp (2)
3 proskauer rose llp (1)
4 sidley austin llp (2)
5 Linklaters (9)
6 Shearman & Sterling LLP (2)
7 O'Melveny & Myers LLP (New York, NY - Transactional ONLY) (22)
8 mayer brown llp (5)
9 Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP (8)
10 White & Case LLP (7)

Based on just the first ten, you've missed Proskauer, Sidley, Sherman, Mayer, Weil, and White. You probably got Baker, but it's likely you missed Paul Hastings since you bid right on the FFB (which is not necessarily a problem, just a noted risk). You've definitely got Linklaters, and O'Melveny, but why are you ordering them at 5. and 7. respectively, when the FFB for them was 9. and 22. respectively?

Haven't looked at the other 24, but I imagine it is also flawed. Even if they're perfect though, you've wasted the majority of your first 10 bids, which will kill you in EIP.

With regards to those five firms that failed at 1. or 2., you're going have to cut at least 3 of them if you want to be within last year's FFB.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

buffalo_

Bronze

Post by buffalo_ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have about a 3.1, so below median. Any advice on my bid list? 3+ years of decent WE.
Rank Firm Name
1 Baker & McKenzie LLP
2 Paul Hastings LLP
3 Proskauer Rose LLP
4 Sidley Austin LLP
5 Linklaters
6 Shearman & Sterling LLP
7 O'Melveny & Myers LLP (New York, NY - Transactional ONLY)
8 Mayer Brown LLP
9 Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
10 White & Case LLP
11 Ropes & Gray LLP
12 Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP
13 Arnold & Porter LLP
14 Clifford Chance US LLP
15 Goodwin Procter LLP
16 Willkie Farr & Gallagher LLP
17 Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP
18 Cahill Gordon & Reindel LLP
19 Schulte Roth & Zabel LLP
20 Cadwalader, Wickersham & Taft LLP
21 Dechert LLP
22 Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer US LLP
23 Kaye Scholer LLP
24 Jones Day
25 Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
26 Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe LLP
27 Hughes Hubbard & Reed LLP
28 Seward & Kissel LLP
29 Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel LLP
30 Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman LLP
31 Reed Smith LLP
32 Katten Muchin Rosenman LLP
33 Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP
34 Curtis, Mallet-Prevost, Colt & Mosle LLP
35 Chadbourne & Parke LLP
36 Hogan Lovells US LLP
37 Stroock & Stroock & Lavan LLP
38 King & Spalding
You might want to look at the first failed bid list on Symplicity. Assuming you are bidding NY, a few of these bids will be a waste. For example, Proskauer you really will need to bid 1 to have a shot. Sidley Austin FFB was 2 last year, so 4 might be a stretch. Arnold & Porter FFB was 9. Akin 17. These are jsut the few I spot off the bat.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Not sure why arnold & porter keeps showing up on below median bid lists. Their NY office isn't as selective as DC, but I still wouldn't waste a bid on them lower than 3.3, at least one within your top 15

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Need to decide between Boies (NY) and Kirkland (NY) for my bid list- Can only fit one. I know Kirland gave out many more offers last year and is probably the safer bet, but Boies is boutique lit, and that's what I'm looking for. 3.69 GPA.

In addition, are there any firms in the NY or DC market that are out of my range/not worth a bid on with a 3.69?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Need to decide between Boies (NY) and Kirkland (NY) for my bid list- Can only fit one. I know Kirland gave out many more offers last year and is probably the safer bet, but Boies is boutique lit, and that's what I'm looking for. 3.69 GPA.

In addition, are there any firms in the NY or DC market that are out of my range/not worth a bid on with a 3.69?
I know more people who received offers from Boies via mass mail than via OCI. For some reason they barely offer any CLS students from EIP but give out offers in other markets to CLS students who reach out to the recruiters. So you might just want to do Kirkland at EIP and mail Boies Schiller. Then again, you could probably pick up a KE interview pretty easily by resume dropping, whereas that wouldn't work for Boies. Regardless, I wouldn't stress on it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”