Columbia EIP 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:02 pm

@ Tiago Splitter --- I agree with you. There are several firms that I really wanted to bid and they all have really close FFB so trying to add interviews during Add/Drop is definitely a good idea.

@jbagelboy I've got the same feedback from the OCS that these are kind of waste bids. Any idea what my replacements should be though? I'm considering replacing Debevoise with Mayer Brown but am utterly clueless as to what I should replace Cleary and DPW with. There aren't that many firms that with FFB around 17-20 at all. And Simpson is just there because I have so much room towards the bottom of my list and I thought why the hell not. Any suggestions on how to make the most of the bids after 20 (assuming I'm strictly looking at the NY market)?

Also, what about mass-mailing? OCS advised against mass mailing firms before the EIP in general. But there are a few coming to EIP that I am actually really interested in but just cannot fit into my list (White & Case, Hogan Lovells, Kaye Scholer, Proskauer Rose, etc.). Will they actually give out callbacks through mass mailing considering they are already coming to EIP?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 8:50 am

when do law review results go out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:41 am

Anonymous User wrote:when do law review results go out?
tomorrow

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:42 am

Have calls been going out?

-Bobbitt's Hobbit

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:49 am

Yeah, calls are going out now. They'll be going out for a while yet (throughout the morning if not later, depending on your caller), so don't count yourself out yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:59 am

What is the timeline for other journals?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:23 am

What's happening with the other journals is that they have to wait for Law Review to select first before they know if they can take certain people. You'll probably hear back from the other journals within 1-2 days tops, release time varying a little bit journal to journal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:32 pm

For obvious reasons, grades are the predominant criteria affecting chances of receiving a CB/Offer from a firm. But how does no LR factor in here?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For obvious reasons, grades are the predominant criteria affecting chances of receiving a CB/Offer from a firm. But how does no LR factor in here?
I'm not sure that grades are even the "predominant criteria" affecting your chances. LR helps. Not being on any sort of journal probably hurts. (maybe) Not being on CLR doesn't sink you pretty much anywhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:18 pm

As far as I can tell, LR is not an absolute requirement anywhere. It's nice to have, but I don't know how much of a plus it is, or how much it can make up for weaker grades, resume, or whatever else.

There are SCOTUS clerks without LR. Elite lit boutiques don't seem to require LR either. It seems that any journal will do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:31 pm

How many people usually strike out entirely with journals, assuming the average person applies to 3 secondaries?

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many people usually strike out entirely with journals, assuming the average person applies to 3 secondaries?
No one. And if you didn't get one, I'm sure you will still be able to get one later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:39 pm

smaug wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:How many people usually strike out entirely with journals, assuming the average person applies to 3 secondaries?
No one. And if you didn't get one, I'm sure you will still be able to get one later.
Well that's a nice bit of relief in an otherwise mediocre day. How does one get a journal offer later?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smaug

Diamond

Post by smaug » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
smaug wrote:
Well that's a nice bit of relief in an otherwise mediocre day. How does one get a journal offer later?
Journals that weren't able to get as many people as they wanted (maybe the people they wanted all chose other journals) will beg, or you talk to people, or something. I don't know tons of details, but I think there are some journals that have been short on bodies in the past, and they've taken on additional staffers.

Not having a journal is not something I would be worried about. At all.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:44 pm

Kent, and worked hard on the writing component. No call so far. This is rather depressing..

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Mon Jul 06, 2015 1:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kent, and worked hard on the writing component. No call so far. This is rather depressing..
Day's not over yet. But don't be depressed. Kent grades will speak for themselves. LR is not a requirement for any job. You'll do better than fine anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:00 pm

One of the previous 3.1X posters here. Looks like I wrote my way on to Law Review. Should this influence my bidding strategy at all? Should I go for any of the more grade-conscious firms, especially those that seem to have dipped last year (Debevoise, Ropes, etc.)? I'll send OCS an email as well but I don't imagine them getting back to me before the deadline/having any useful information or insight on this matter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One of the previous 3.1X posters here. Looks like I wrote my way on to Law Review. Should this influence my bidding strategy at all? Should I go for any of the more grade-conscious firms, especially those that seem to have dipped last year (Debevoise, Ropes, etc.)? I'll send OCS an email as well but I don't imagine them getting back to me before the deadline/having any useful information or insight on this matter.
Congrats! I'm sure it's a boost, but yeah OCS will probably know exactly how to handle your situation.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kent, and worked hard on the writing component. No call so far. This is rather depressing..
Only giving this shpeal b/c it can be a tough day for some folks

What you're describing happens to a surprisingly large number of people every year. As far as EIP is concerned, I perceived zero effect for those who already had very high grades (whereas LR for a borderline candidate grades-wise is a more important boost). There are summers at WLRK/Munger/any DC firm/State Dept/ect on another journal not-law review.

As for your individual esteem or writing confidence or whatnot: having been on the other side of the law journal thing I can now say with experience that application evaluation often devolves into a shockingly ad hoc process with sufficient endemic randomness to entirely squash any value it might have had as a reflection of you or your ability. Tl;dr shake it off

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:39 pm

I'm going anon for this one though it might be unnecessary.

When I was on an exec board for a secondary, we declined people who were accepted by CLR and CLR declined some of our tippy top choices.

JBB is totally right.

papercut

Silver

Post by papercut » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:we declined people who were accepted by CLR
JBB is totally right.
Out of curiosity, how does this work? I thought CLR had first pick, and then the secondaries pick from whoever is left.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:02 pm

When do LR ding emails go out?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:04 pm

papercut wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:we declined people who were accepted by CLR
JBB is totally right.
Out of curiosity, how does this work? I thought CLR had first pick, and then the secondaries pick from whoever is left.
They do, but despite best efforts to anonymize the applications, you still will know who some people are. That's especially true if you really liked or disliked the application.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:04 pm

I got the sense that the LR people are gonna make some sort of official announcement tomorrow.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:06 pm

They do, but despite best efforts to anonymize the applications, you still will know who some people are. That's especially true if you really liked or disliked the application.
So secondary journals get to see all the applications even if they already made it onto LR? That kinda makes me uncomfortable.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”