Columbia EIP 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
John_Luther1989

Bronze

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Post by John_Luther1989 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For firms we didn't get, who should we be emailing to ask if we can get an extra interview with them? Recruiting contact/hiring partner?
Please email Brad Karp asking for an interview and report back. In all seriousness, don't do that. Just email the main recruiting address, or the head recruiter.

That said, I'm really interested in how this FFB stuff went down. Last year most of the big NY firms only went up a spot or two. OCS must have really gotten into people's heads about where to rank firms.

ProfBono

New

Post by ProfBono » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:05 pm

John_Luther1989 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:For firms we didn't get, who should we be emailing to ask if we can get an extra interview with them? Recruiting contact/hiring partner?
Please email Brad Karp asking for an interview and report back. In all seriousness, don't do that. Just email the main recruiting address, or the head recruiter.

That said, I'm really interested in how this FFB stuff went down. Last year most of the big NY firms only went up a spot or two. OCS must have really gotten into people's heads about where to rank firms.
IIRC a handful of firms jumped 4 or more spots last year. It seems that 5-10 firms jumped 3+ this year, with everything else mostly moving between 0-2.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:11 pm

ProfBono wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:

IIRC a handful of firms jumped 4 or more spots last year. It seems that 5-10 firms jumped 3+ this year, with everything else mostly moving between 0-2.
A minimum of 17 firms went up 3+ spots, because that's how many I lost that I bid 2 higher. This of course excludes ties where I was consistently unlucky.

ProfBono

New

Post by ProfBono » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ProfBono wrote:
John_Luther1989 wrote:

A minimum of 17 firms went up 3+ spots, because that's how many I lost that I bid 2 higher. This of course excludes ties where I was consistently unlucky.
How did you figure out if the FFB movement was 3+ as opposed to being 2 and you tieing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:21 pm

We should riot. Ropes, Wilkie, Latham, Cravath, Cahill and Weil all jumped 3-5 Slots.
And I missed K&E at 1.

-Captain Fire

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheoO

Silver

Post by TheoO » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:23 pm

The first fail lists have really screwed the system up with regard to some firms, I think.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:24 pm

ProfBono wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: A minimum of 17 firms went up 3+ spots, because that's how many I lost that I bid 2 higher. This of course excludes ties where I was consistently unlucky.
How did you figure out if the FFB movement was 3+ as opposed to being 2 and you tieing?
Sorry if I was unclear, I meant 17 less those I tied at. However I would be shocked if I actually tied and lost 7+ firns, so I'm confident it will be over 10 moving 3+ just for the firms I bid.

I was unsure if I was being too conservative too, lol

ProfBono

New

Post by ProfBono » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:28 pm

TheoO wrote:The first fail lists have really screwed the system up with regard to some firms, I think.
There are people who got an unnamed FFB = 2 firm at sub 20 bids, so yes, the system has been fucked.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:30 pm

ProfBono wrote:
TheoO wrote:The first fail lists have really screwed the system up with regard to some firms, I think.
There are people who got an unnamed FFB = 2 firm at sub 20 bids, so yes, the system has been fucked.
wait what?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:30 pm

ProfBono wrote:
Wow seriously? I'd guess Sidley or Shearman. Shearman?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Only 10, completely screwed, and I'm a transfer. None of them are grade selective, but jesus, am I done?
You're not screwed. If you only have 10 after Add/Drop, then I might be more worried. Add/Drop is more productive than you'd think (not that you should relax entirely, but honestly, you aren't screwed).

And to the median guy, Boies isn't going to pan out. I'm hoping W&C refers to White & Case rather than Williams & Connolly. Proskauer's more than achievable with your grades, and Debevoise you have a chance.
I was expecting as much with Boies. Also, yes, Williams & Connolly. Well, at least I got interviews with them... it technically doesn't HURT, right? As long as I have 13 other, much more achievable interviews?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Only 10, completely screwed, and I'm a transfer. None of them are grade selective, but jesus, am I done?
You're not screwed. If you only have 10 after Add/Drop, then I might be more worried. Add/Drop is more productive than you'd think (not that you should relax entirely, but honestly, you aren't screwed).

And to the median guy, Boies isn't going to pan out. I'm hoping W&C refers to White & Case rather than Williams & Connolly. Proskauer's more than achievable with your grades, and Debevoise you have a chance.
I was expecting as much with Boies. Also, yes, Williams & Connolly. Well, at least I got interviews with them... it technically doesn't HURT, right? As long as I have 13 other, much more achievable interviews?
It doesn't hurt so much with Williams & Connolly, but I'm assuming you ranked Boies first to get it. If that's true, then by bumping all your other bids up one it's possible you might've had 20+ more achievable interviews rather than 15. :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:58 pm

At median Boies and Williams and Connolly are complete wastes of time. I don't know why you'd even show up to waste the interviewer's time.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote: It doesn't hurt so much with Williams & Connolly, but I'm assuming you ranked Boies first to get it. If that's true, then by bumping all your other bids up one it's possible you might've had 20+ more achievable interviews rather than 15. :(
I did choose Boies first. But I scored interviews with pretty much everywhere I wanted to interview with.

Weil Gotshal & Manges (IP)
Boies, Schiller & Flexner
Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Dechert
Cravath, Swaine & Moore
Debevoise & Plimpton
Cahill Gordon & Reindel
Nixon Peabody
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Jones Day
Proskauer Rose
Simpson Thacher & Bartlett
Mintz, Levin, Cohn, Ferris, Glovsky and Popeo
Williams & Connolly
King & Spaulding

My grades might be crap for W&C and BS&F but as long as I'm not completely out of luck with I'd say half of these firms, I don't think I'd mind so much if they outright reject me.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At median Boies and Williams and Connolly are complete wastes of time. I don't know why you'd even show up to waste the interviewer's time.
Yea, I mean, it doesn't "hurt" but it's also kind of silly. I don't particularly "enjoy" speed-dating style interviewing, and I think most people don't either; it's pretty rote and while some attorneys that show up to EIP are pretty cool and I actually liked meeting them, a lot of others are just irritable or awkward. We interview so that we can get jobs, not because it's good conversation. If there's no job what's the point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:17 pm

So for the firms we missed, when emailing the recruiting contact, should we include a cover letter? I'm assuming transcript + resume and an explanation that we "bid them high but were not able to obtain an interview through Columbia's lottery system" or some such us sufficient? Damnit why did I have to include Milbank... :roll:

-Captain Fire

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:18 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At median Boies and Williams and Connolly are complete wastes of time. I don't know why you'd even show up to waste the interviewer's time.
Yea, I mean, it doesn't "hurt" but it's also kind of silly. I don't particularly "enjoy" speed-dating style interviewing, and I think most people don't either; it's pretty rote and while some attorneys that show up to EIP are pretty cool and I actually liked meeting them, a lot of others are just irritable or awkward. We interview so that we can get jobs, not because it's good conversation. If there's no job what's the point.
Really that worthless, huh? Even though they don't have an explicit grade requirement?

...maybe I'll rethink this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So for the firms we missed, when emailing the recruiting contact, should we include a cover letter? I'm assuming transcript + resume and an explanation that we "bid them high but were not able to obtain an interview through Columbia's lottery system" or some such us sufficient? Damnit why did I have to include Milbank... :roll:

-Captain Fire
I've been including cover letters - I think it's probably a good idea to do so. I've also been writing a little blurb in the email like you put there.

-E

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm

Even though they don't have an explicit grade requirement?
W&C doesn't have an explicit grade requirement because it's assumed you have at the very least a 3.7.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:37 pm

should we e-mail recruiters now or wait until after add/drop?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Really that worthless, huh? Even though they don't have an explicit grade requirement?

...maybe I'll rethink this.
Boies is at least theoretically possible (still not worth it), but williams & connolly only gives 3-5 offers to CLS students each year and those are the types of candidates that have already been interviewing with feeder judges the past month. I haven't heard of W&C interviewers doing this personally, but a Wachtell interviewer has looked at someone's transcript after the interviewee walked in to the interview and handed it over and asked them point blank, why would you interview us with median grades, why do you think this is a good use of our time. That's just unnecessary discomfort and personally it would hurt my confidence for the rest of my real interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Boies is at least theoretically possible (still not worth it), but williams & connolly only gives 3-5 offers to CLS students each year and those are the types of candidates that have already been interviewing with feeder judges the past month. I haven't heard of W&C interviewers doing this personally, but a Wachtell interviewer has looked at someone's transcript after the interviewee walked in to the interview and handed it over and asked them point blank, why would you interview us with median grades, why do you think this is a good use of our time. That's just unnecessary discomfort and personally it would hurt my confidence for the rest of my real interviews.
I think I'll stick with Boies. I feel that, of all the firms I'm looking for, they're my top choice by far, so I should at least strive.

While I appreciate W&C, and their work is super-cool, I wouldn't want to feel so much grief because of them. I'd be fine with that for Boies, but not for them. So I guess I'll drop them.

Probably should drop Cravath too, if Wachtell's doing that.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I think I'll stick with Boies. I feel that, of all the firms I'm looking for, they're my top choice by far, so I should at least strive.

While I appreciate W&C, and their work is super-cool, I wouldn't want to feel so much grief because of them. I'd be fine with that for Boies, but not for them. So I guess I'll drop them.

Probably should drop Cravath too, if Wachtell's doing that.
Cravath and Wachtell do not have the same hiring standards. That being said, you're still quite a long-shot from median.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 pm

How is one supposed to take advantage of firms' hospitality suites during EIP??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How is one supposed to take advantage of firms' hospitality suites during EIP??
I'm imagining it's like PILF fair. You do research on the firm, bring your resumes, but then just go in and talk to people. About anything, really. Impress them.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”