Columbia EIP 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LegalPterodactyl

New

Re: Columbia EIP 2015

Post by LegalPterodactyl » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear back from Kirkland (NY) interview with KS and CK?
-Britney Spears xo
Yes, during lunch today.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Cahill CW, nothing so far.
Same here. I thought the interview went fairly well.

But echoing others' comments, I know of a lot of people who haven't gotten any callbacks yet.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:36 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty much the end of eip for me, one interview tomorrow and only one callback at this point. Hovering too close to strikeout.

Has anyone gotten the Schulte (mc) callback?
Look, I'm super nervous too. I have five interviews left tomorrow but absolutely no callbacks yet after 16 interviews. No need to fret just yet, you haven't struck out. I'm closer to striking out than you are. Just remember, at least you have something. A lot of people still have nothing.
what in all fuck is career services doing
No clue.

I know I had to talk to them because one of my interviewers cut my interview time by five minutes to take a conference call, watched the clock the whole time, then kicked me out. For a firm that I was really interested in and actually had a chance of getting into, too. I felt there was a lack of decorum and talked to Petal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Any Cahill (JL) movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Any Cravath movement yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:38 pm

Any Skadden NY or Cravath NY movement?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any Skadden NY or Cravath NY movement?
Anonymous User wrote:Any Cravath movement yet?
No for Cravath, although I don't expect positive news from them personally.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Pretty much the end of eip for me, one interview tomorrow and only one callback at this point. Hovering too close to strikeout.

Has anyone gotten the Schulte (mc) callback?
Look, I'm super nervous too. I have five interviews left tomorrow but absolutely no callbacks yet after 16 interviews. No need to fret just yet, you haven't struck out. I'm closer to striking out than you are. Just remember, at least you have something. A lot of people still have nothing.
what in all fuck is career services doing
No clue.

I know I had to talk to them because one of my interviewers cut my interview time by five minutes to take a conference call, watched the clock the whole time, then kicked me out. For a firm that I was really interested in and actually had a chance of getting into, too. I felt there was a lack of decorum and talked to Petal.
They should be helping students who don't have CBs yet fill more interview slots in the final days. They should be helping people mail and secure interviews throughout the week at other firms. There are always firms out there that want more Columbia students and won't get them. In other words, they should be doing their job.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:49 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
They should be helping students who don't have CBs yet fill more interview slots in the final days. They should be helping people mail and secure interviews throughout the week at other firms. There are always firms out there that want more Columbia students and won't get them. In other words, they should be doing their job.
Yeah, I'm getting kind of pissed off. I think my guy Buchman is superb, but besides him and Marsha, they've all been holed up in their little conference room, not speaking with students.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Anyone heard from Cleary (SR) or Debevoise (CB)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
Yeah, I'm getting kind of pissed off. I think my guy Buchman is superb, but besides him and Marsha, they've all been holed up in their little conference room, not speaking with students.
Why don't you go into the conference room and speak to them....?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:57 pm

You aren't 15 anymore. Take the initiative to go talk to them yourself if you need help. Their job is not to go around looking for students who got spanked by EIP.

CLSisaMess

New

Post by CLSisaMess » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You aren't 15 anymore. Take the initiative to go talk to them yourself if you need help. Their job is not to go around looking for students who got spanked by EIP.
^^^^Exactly, I had a shitty interviewer went and told OCS and they're asking he not be allowed to come back to EIP. They can only help if they know what's wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You aren't 15 anymore. Take the initiative to go talk to them yourself if you need help. Their job is not to go around looking for students who got spanked by EIP.
I'm not a 2L in EIP, but I respectfully disagree. I think if the school is going to spend millions of dollars on salaried employees -- salaries we pay for as students -- they should do what they can to deliver the service provided in their job description. Right now, as the formal recruiting process winds down, it should be precisely their job to help students who weren't as successful as their peers to hustle. This isn't the middle of the recession. There are jobs for a CLS student with any set of grades. Sometimes they are very helpful, as evidenced by comments here, but other times they waste energy and resources on the wrong problems. If you're struggling, absolutely go talk to them, but they should also make themselves available.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:07 pm

(1) I did.

(2) Simply making an observation that may correlate with some of the earlier posts regarding the lack of activity on their part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:10 pm

How could they help if they aren't made aware of the problem. Should they be sending emails to everyone in EIP asking how many callbacks they've received??

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:14 pm

jbagelboy wrote:They should be helping students who don't have CBs yet fill more interview slots in the final days. They should be helping people mail and secure interviews throughout the week at other firms. There are always firms out there that want more Columbia students and won't get them. In other words, they should be doing their job.
I've never figured out a good reason why OCS doesn't keep a mass mail list, other than that they're not really trying that hard to get jobs for strikeouts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:15 pm

Kirkland (PJ)
Covington (DK)

Both NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland (PJ)
Covington (DK)

Both NY.
What time frame?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 pm

OCS might not be as helpful as they could be, but it's your life and your career. Unless OCS was unhelpful when you took the time to approach them, I don't see any room for complaint here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:18 pm

I think most people I've talked to with none/few callbacks don't realize they should be worried

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm

Anyone heard from Cleary (SR) or Debevoise (CB)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm

I don't think Columbia is obligated to solicit information about callbacks from everyone, but it's a pretty good idea.

Yes, people need to take charge of their own careers. But the whole point of OCS is to get better results for students than they would attain solely through their own initiative. Sending out emails is just an extension of that.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How could they help if they aren't made aware of the problem. Should they be sending emails to everyone in EIP asking how many callbacks they've received??
In fact, yes, in my opinion. They could send an auto-generated survey over the weekend and on Monday evening simply asking students whether they had received callbacks and if not, whether they felt they needed assistance from career services. In addition to reaching out to the students who responded a particular way, they could use their contacts with firm recruiters to find additional spaces for those students to interview in subsequent days.

They could set up an online exchange system whereby students could trade interviews or cancel an interview, which then another student could add; an active market for interview slots. This could operate continuously until the morning of, rather than the uniquely ridiculous system of morning auctioneering currently in place.

They could set up a system for under-bid firms or firms that are still looking for additional students to interview to place requests for screeners at their offices that students could select, after which they'd be routed directly to that firm's recruiting personnel.

They could actually socialize and talk with students and make themselves approachable rather than sequestering themselves to do god knows what all day long.
Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:They should be helping students who don't have CBs yet fill more interview slots in the final days. They should be helping people mail and secure interviews throughout the week at other firms. There are always firms out there that want more Columbia students and won't get them. In other words, they should be doing their job.
I've never figured out a good reason why OCS doesn't keep a mass mail list, other than that they're not really trying that hard to get jobs for strikeouts.
Exactly, of course they should.
Anonymous User wrote:I think most people I've talked to with none/few callbacks don't realize they should be worried
Right. They don't always know to do it themselves. I don't think the school (or your peers) should take a "well that's on you" attitude here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:25 pm

I think it's ridiculous that, with an alleged 87% success rate for EIP, so many people are still completely in the fog.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”