Borderline BL candidate, how should I approach next two months?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Borderline BL candidate, how should I approach next two months?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:35 pm

Top third at a school that places roughly 1/3 into BL(WUSTL/ND/Emory/USC/UIUC/BU). Secondary market ties in different state. No work experience, probably no LR. I just want a job. Whats the strategy?

Massmail+OCI?

cheaptilts

Re: Borderline BL candidate, how should I approach next two months?

Postby cheaptilts » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:39 pm

I would really start cold-emailing almuni at firms in the secondary/primary market you want you to work in. "I am really interested in this firm for XYZ, and I would love it if I could speak with you briefly over the phone/coffee/whatever to discuss your experiences at XYZ"...I've also found it helpful to reach out and say something along the lines of "this firm is one of my favorites blah blah blah and I was wondering if I could talk to you particularly re: what their looking for in associates" idk. That seemed to work for a lot of my friends

sublime

Postby sublime » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 pm

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Yeah, definitely mass mail every firm in the country.

I don't think your strategy should be a whole lot different than the vast majority of T14 bros TBH

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:34 pm

Why not just show up at work with your social security card, your framed & ready to hang law school diploma, coffee cup, computer & a pen ?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Why not just show up at work with your social security card, your framed & ready to hang law school diploma, coffee cup, computer & a pen ?

wut

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:42 pm

Just a stab at humor since the answer has already been given above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 pm

OP here, Any tips to "outkick my coverage"? I'm pretty sociable and interview really well(I come across alot more intelligent than I actually am).

I'm more or less worried about getting screeners since my system is 100% preselect. I understand the T14 bros can get a bunch of interviews through lottery, while I'm a bit more worried on my end.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, Any tips to "outkick my coverage"? I'm pretty sociable and interview really well(I come across alot more intelligent than I actually am).

I'm more or less worried about getting screeners since my system is 100% preselect. I understand the T14 bros can get a bunch of interviews through lottery, while I'm a bit more worried on my end.

1) do everything people listed in this thread

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, Any tips to "outkick my coverage"? I'm pretty sociable and interview really well(I come across alot more intelligent than I actually am).

Mass mail every firm in the country

Bid smart at OCI

Rock those interviews

Read TLS threads for help. Sticked ones in the legal employment subforum are a great start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:17 pm

Ok I'll get a little more specific I go to Wash U. I might actually be top quarter but not sure on distributions. Our OCI is a 100% pre-select shit-show where everyone will bid on every firm(because they can).

I'm doing these multi-school external programs but no idea on the interviews I will get from them(same problem as above). I most likely will get interviews in my sub home market but thats the only thing I can think is a solid source of interviews.

Is the "disappointed I didn't get an interview, still interested please interview me when you are here" method recommended?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:35 pm

yes

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:57 pm

runinthefront wrote:yes

Yeah

Also make sure to mass blast, like, every firm in the country. Start with the best/most desireable for you/most likely to end up in a job and go from there.

Serious.

Return to “Legal Employment”