3L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am

I am in the same boat and was told November is slow but hiring picks up again in January.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:50 pm

Bueler...?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:25 pm

Been waiting 2 weeks after a CB with Chadbourne.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:44 pm

I've also been waiting almost two weeks since a callback ......UgHhhH :cry:

User avatar
Kratos
Posts: 6790
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:50 pm

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Kratos » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:48 pm

cadwalader NC seeking 3L for cap markets

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:02 pm

Also waiting on a callback about 2 weeks ago... Hopefully we're not all out for the same job.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:is it just me or are there no postings at all worth applying to right now?

I've applied to maybe 2 jobs in the past month or so. I check Simplicity everyday but there just aren't any postings or I don't meet qualifications (ie: they're looking for trust and estates, and I have taken no T&E classes).

i go to a top school and been speaking with my cso who told me it's a little slow right now at this time of year. Just wondering if everyone's in the same boat


I would still apply regardless. I can only speak to tax, but there are junior associates at top firms who had little or no background in it. Just do some research online (including here) to learn what the practice entails so you can speak with some credibility during your interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:is it just me or are there no postings at all worth applying to right now?

I've applied to maybe 2 jobs in the past month or so. I check Simplicity everyday but there just aren't any postings or I don't meet qualifications (ie: they're looking for trust and estates, and I have taken no T&E classes).

i go to a top school and been speaking with my cso who told me it's a little slow right now at this time of year. Just wondering if everyone's in the same boat


I would still apply regardless. I can only speak to tax, but there are junior associates at top firms who had little or no background in it. Just do some research online (including here) to learn what the practice entails so you can speak with some credibility during your interview.


BYU Job bank

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:05 pm

Bumping the thread because I want to add some information for future 3Ls. I have no intention of bragging; rather, this thread helped me get offers after striking out 2L. So I wanted to pay back the favor.

1. During "3L OCI," I was offered screeners from about 14 firms (I turned down 2). From those 12, I received 8 callbacks (I turned down 2). The foregoing doesn't include the handful of non-profit organization and government interviews I received. The number of interviews I got was larger than I genuinely thought it would be.

That said, many of these interviews were limited to "less desirable" (read: not as prestigious, fewer exit options, more specific) practice groups, most of which were transactional. Also, as TLS says elsewhere, my interviews were concentrated toward the higher end of the Vault rankings, and mostly in New York. And there is less hiring overall. Obviously, any biglaw job is better than no job. But I'm saying this to warn 2Ls who think they can mess around during 2L OCI: do not do this.

2. Phone interviews were common. There's some truth to the idea that if you say you'll be in the area in your cover letter, you can grab a few more interviews. But it wasn't essential.

3. If you struck out 2L, depending on what you did over the summer, you will get asked why you chose that over a firm in every single interview. Have a rock-solid positive answer ready.

4. Firms generally had higher expectations during interviews. You need to be able to articulate "why firm x" and "why practice group x" well.

5. Be aggressive. I would start sending applications mid-July. Don't wait for Symplicity postings, and if you see a Symplicity posting, apply that same day.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Bumping the thread because I want to add some information for future 3Ls. I have no intention of bragging; rather, this thread helped me get offers after striking out 2L. So I wanted to pay back the favor.

1. During "3L OCI," I was offered screeners from about 14 firms (I turned down 2). From those 12, I received 8 callbacks (I turned down 2). The foregoing doesn't include the handful of non-profit organization and government interviews I received. The number of interviews I got was larger than I genuinely thought it would be.

That said, many of these interviews were limited to "less desirable" (read: not as prestigious, fewer exit options, more specific) practice groups, most of which were transactional. Also, as TLS says elsewhere, my interviews were concentrated toward the higher end of the Vault rankings, and mostly in New York. And there is less hiring overall. Obviously, any biglaw job is better than no job. But I'm saying this to warn 2Ls who think they can mess around during 2L OCI: do not do this.

2. Phone interviews were common. There's some truth to the idea that if you say you'll be in the area in your cover letter, you can grab a few more interviews. But it wasn't essential.

3. If you struck out 2L, depending on what you did over the summer, you will get asked why you chose that over a firm in every single interview. Have a rock-solid positive answer ready.

4. Firms generally had higher expectations during interviews. You need to be able to articulate "why firm x" and "why practice group x" well.

5. Be aggressive. I would start sending applications mid-July. Don't wait for Symplicity postings, and if you see a Symplicity posting, apply that same day.


School? Numbers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping the thread because I want to add some information for future 3Ls. I have no intention of bragging; rather, this thread helped me get offers after striking out 2L. So I wanted to pay back the favor.

1. During "3L OCI," I was offered screeners from about 14 firms (I turned down 2). From those 12, I received 8 callbacks (I turned down 2). The foregoing doesn't include the handful of non-profit organization and government interviews I received. The number of interviews I got was larger than I genuinely thought it would be.

That said, many of these interviews were limited to "less desirable" (read: not as prestigious, fewer exit options, more specific) practice groups, most of which were transactional. Also, as TLS says elsewhere, my interviews were concentrated toward the higher end of the Vault rankings, and mostly in New York. And there is less hiring overall. Obviously, any biglaw job is better than no job. But I'm saying this to warn 2Ls who think they can mess around during 2L OCI: do not do this.

2. Phone interviews were common. There's some truth to the idea that if you say you'll be in the area in your cover letter, you can grab a few more interviews. But it wasn't essential.

3. If you struck out 2L, depending on what you did over the summer, you will get asked why you chose that over a firm in every single interview. Have a rock-solid positive answer ready.

4. Firms generally had higher expectations during interviews. You need to be able to articulate "why firm x" and "why practice group x" well.

5. Be aggressive. I would start sending applications mid-July. Don't wait for Symplicity postings, and if you see a Symplicity posting, apply that same day.


School? Numbers?


T20, top 20-25%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:55 pm

I am spending my 2L SA at a V20 (corporate) in NYC. Does it make sense to apply for V5s next summer (I admit for pure prestige reasons/exit ops)? I have good stats but my school does not offer OCIs for 3Ls so I would apply directly to Hiring Managers. Thoughts? Thank you very much
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping the thread because I want to add some information for future 3Ls. I have no intention of bragging; rather, this thread helped me get offers after striking out 2L. So I wanted to pay back the favor.

1. During "3L OCI," I was offered screeners from about 14 firms (I turned down 2). From those 12, I received 8 callbacks (I turned down 2). The foregoing doesn't include the handful of non-profit organization and government interviews I received. The number of interviews I got was larger than I genuinely thought it would be.

That said, many of these interviews were limited to "less desirable" (read: not as prestigious, fewer exit options, more specific) practice groups, most of which were transactional. Also, as TLS says elsewhere, my interviews were concentrated toward the higher end of the Vault rankings, and mostly in New York. And there is less hiring overall. Obviously, any biglaw job is better than no job. But I'm saying this to warn 2Ls who think they can mess around during 2L OCI: do not do this.

2. Phone interviews were common. There's some truth to the idea that if you say you'll be in the area in your cover letter, you can grab a few more interviews. But it wasn't essential.

3. If you struck out 2L, depending on what you did over the summer, you will get asked why you chose that over a firm in every single interview. Have a rock-solid positive answer ready.

4. Firms generally had higher expectations during interviews. You need to be able to articulate "why firm x" and "why practice group x" well.

5. Be aggressive. I would start sending applications mid-July. Don't wait for Symplicity postings, and if you see a Symplicity posting, apply that same day.


School? Numbers?


T20, top 20-25%


congrats!, where did you end up?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Bumping the thread because I want to add some information for future 3Ls. I have no intention of bragging; rather, this thread helped me get offers after striking out 2L. So I wanted to pay back the favor.

1. During "3L OCI," I was offered screeners from about 14 firms (I turned down 2). From those 12, I received 8 callbacks (I turned down 2). The foregoing doesn't include the handful of non-profit organization and government interviews I received. The number of interviews I got was larger than I genuinely thought it would be.

That said, many of these interviews were limited to "less desirable" (read: not as prestigious, fewer exit options, more specific) practice groups, most of which were transactional. Also, as TLS says elsewhere, my interviews were concentrated toward the higher end of the Vault rankings, and mostly in New York. And there is less hiring overall. Obviously, any biglaw job is better than no job. But I'm saying this to warn 2Ls who think they can mess around during 2L OCI: do not do this.

2. Phone interviews were common. There's some truth to the idea that if you say you'll be in the area in your cover letter, you can grab a few more interviews. But it wasn't essential.

3. If you struck out 2L, depending on what you did over the summer, you will get asked why you chose that over a firm in every single interview. Have a rock-solid positive answer ready.

4. Firms generally had higher expectations during interviews. You need to be able to articulate "why firm x" and "why practice group x" well.

5. Be aggressive. I would start sending applications mid-July. Don't wait for Symplicity postings, and if you see a Symplicity posting, apply that same day.


School? Numbers?


T20, top 20-25%


Sounds like you absolutely crushed 3loci, what was the biggest difference in gaining those callbacks the second time?

Did you have similar numbers but no offers the first time/ poor bidding, ect..?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:congrats!, where did you end up?


Thanks, but I can't say without outing myself.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 3:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like you absolutely crushed 3loci, what was the biggest difference in gaining those callbacks the second time?

Did you have similar numbers but no offers the first time/ poor bidding, ect..?


I don't know about "crushed," but things worked out unexpectedly well.

Same numbers, basically. Biggest reason (probably) for striking out? I was a terrible interviewee during 2L OCI.

I think interviewing is the most underrated skill in law school.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like you absolutely crushed 3loci, what was the biggest difference in gaining those callbacks the second time?

Did you have similar numbers but no offers the first time/ poor bidding, ect..?


I don't know about "crushed," but things worked out unexpectedly well.

Same numbers, basically. Biggest reason (probably) for striking out? I was a terrible interviewee during 2L OCI.

I think interviewing is the most underrated skill in law school.
how did you get better at interviewing? tips?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:how did you get better at interviewing? tips?


A couple of major things:

1. I made an outline for every interview. On the outline, I would include (1) scripted answers to questions I knew would probably be asked (or at the very least, highlights I wanted to hit); (2) facts about the firm, practice area, and the firm's city (if applicable); and (3) potential questions to ask my interviewers. I don't feel like this method is unique to me, but it definitely helped me out because I realized I couldn't improvise in conversations that well. It also gave me a sense of what questions were really appropriate to ask, instead of sounding like a weirdo.

2. I did several mock interviews with different people. I had one person grill me in an aggressive interviewing style while video-recording me. The recording revealed that I looked and sounded like I didn't want to be in the room because I was anxious. So I paid more attention to my demeanor and body language in interviews, and I worked on being "pleasant" instead of looking tense and worried.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:how did you get better at interviewing? tips?


A couple of major things:

1. I made an outline for every interview. On the outline, I would include (1) scripted answers to questions I knew would probably be asked (or at the very least, highlights I wanted to hit); (2) facts about the firm, practice area, and the firm's city (if applicable); and (3) potential questions to ask my interviewers. I don't feel like this method is unique to me, but it definitely helped me out because I realized I couldn't improvise in conversations that well. It also gave me a sense of what questions were really appropriate to ask, instead of sounding like a weirdo.

2. I did several mock interviews with different people. I had one person grill me in an aggressive interviewing style while video-recording me. The recording revealed that I looked and sounded like I didn't want to be in the room because I was anxious. So I paid more attention to my demeanor and body language in interviews, and I worked on being "pleasant" instead of looking tense and worried.


I should have done this shit

User avatar
sims1
Posts: 164
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:03 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby sims1 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sounds like you absolutely crushed 3loci, what was the biggest difference in gaining those callbacks the second time?

Did you have similar numbers but no offers the first time/ poor bidding, ect..?


I don't know about "crushed," but things worked out unexpectedly well.

Same numbers, basically. Biggest reason (probably) for striking out? I was a terrible interviewee during 2L OCI.

I think interviewing is the most underrated skill in law school.
how did you get better at interviewing? tips?


Even though interviewing skills may be somewhat inherent, you can definitely improve a lot. Practice with anyone and everyone you can (OCS, classmates, attorneys) and ask them for honest feedback.

I agree w/ anon, it always surprises me how many people are willing to spend 14 hours a day for months in the library but will maybe spend 30 minutes preparing for an interview.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:27 pm

Anyone see any job openings on symplicty? Hanson Bridgett has an opening for healthcare/transactional in their SF office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:31 pm

Going on 3 weeks since CB now :(

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Going on 3 weeks since CB now :(

Tomorrow marks three weeks for me. But I wasn't really expected to hear anything the past week. No way the hiring committee met the week of Thanksgiving.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:20 pm

Going on 3 weeks since CB now :(


What firm/position?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273601
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Going on 3 weeks since CB now :(


What firm/position?


I'm a third person, but I"m waiting for chadbourne Lit




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.