3L OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:People have callbacks already?..


Both of mine are with firms that gave me SA offers last year. Haven't heard back from the firms I reached out to for the first time

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:01 pm

I am assuming you are at a firm that gives out offers right now? If so, arent you worried about your current firm finding out you are looking elsewhere? I might just paranoid though

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am assuming you are at a firm that gives out offers right now? If so, arent you worried about your current firm finding out you are looking elsewhere? I might just paranoid though


How would they find out?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:30 pm

Rising 3L here with a SA position. I'm considering switching due to a lack of options in practice areas I'm interested in. If I'm interested in two fairly different practice areas at a firm should I include both in a cover letter (think finance/restructuring) or just stick with one?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else planning on re-applying to firms that they had a summer offer from originally? I turned a few down for geographic reasons and now I'm planning on re-applying to them (geographic preferences have shifted). Is this process different in this situation?


FYI, I did this and did very well--got offers from all the firms that I had previously been offered at.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Rising 3L here with a SA position. I'm considering switching due to a lack of options in practice areas I'm interested in. If I'm interested in two fairly different practice areas at a firm should I include both in a cover letter (think finance/restructuring) or just stick with one?


Don't sweat it either way because recruiters will specifically ask you which practice areas you're interested in if you're coming in (in other words, I think the interview decision is based almost exclusively on the resume). It probably depends on how the firm is organized. Off your example, if they have a big finance or big restructuring practice, then I would be more specific. Other places "corporate" might include the finance attorneys and/or restructuring so you could just put corporate. Again, probably won't matter.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:28 pm

Any callbacks outside of NY yet?

beautyistruth
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby beautyistruth » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else planning on re-applying to firms that they had a summer offer from originally? I turned a few down for geographic reasons and now I'm planning on re-applying to them (geographic preferences have shifted). Is this process different in this situation?


FYI, I did this and did very well--got offers from all the firms that I had previously been offered at.


Mind telling us which geographic regions you were looking at?

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:People have callbacks already?..


Both of mine are with firms that gave me SA offers last year. Haven't heard back from the firms I reached out to for the first time


Interestingly I've had the opposite experience. I've gotten interview offers from V10 firms that I had never previously applied to.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:12 pm

offer from V5. Have three more cb's scheduled. One from firm that didn't give me callback during OCI last year, two that i didn't meet at all.

ETA: my SA program w/ current firm isn't officially over yet.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:21 pm

Above anon: stats?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Above anon: stats?

CCN. summering at non-NYC office of V10.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:05 pm

anon above,

congrats, are these offer/cbs in nyc? it would be pretty impressive if you flew from your "non-nyc" office to nyc to do a cb during a SA...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anon above,

congrats, are these offer/cbs in nyc? it would be pretty impressive if you flew from your "non-nyc" office to nyc to do a cb during a SA...

yup they're NY...and yeah...it was wildly irresponsible but i was in full YOLO mode that week for some reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:12 pm

nice lol well looks like it paid off.

do you have killer stats or something.. still surprised the firm extended an offer before the end of SA

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:nice lol well looks like it paid off.

do you have killer stats or something.. still surprised the firm extended an offer before the end of SA

I had an offer from this firm during 2L OCI so that might explain the accelerated timeline...but another V5 i hadn't met before was willing to interview me before my SA program ended too so it might just be that hiring is going on much earlier? I'm not sure how good my stats are, but my cumulative grades are right in the range for a callback with this firm for 2L's.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:14 pm

When I reach out to the firms that already gave me offers for 2L OCI, do I reach out to recruiting or someone that I interviewed with? Is a cover letter necessary or just an email saying I received an offer last year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:When I reach out to the firms that already gave me offers for 2L OCI, do I reach out to recruiting or someone that I interviewed with? Is a cover letter necessary or just an email saying I received an offer last year?

CCN anon with offer from above. When i turned down the firm last year they sent me one of those "Good luck with your career and let us know if you ever want to be considered for an associate position" emails, I just replied to that. No cover letter, I just wrote a message in the body of the email saying that I had received a summer offer from the firm and that I would now like to be considered for a first-year associate position because i decided i wanted to start my career in NYC

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:42 am

Could somebody give me any advice on trying to recontact non-NYC firms that gave me a 2L offer? Having serious buyer's remorse about choosing NYC big law. When should I contact them? I won't get a formal offer until the 7th of August and I don't wan to jeopardize my offer by having somebody find out that I'm trying to jump ship to a secondary market (Texas).

hartfordhockaloogies
Posts: 58
Joined: Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:55 pm

Re: 3L OCI

Postby hartfordhockaloogies » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:54 am

It's strange that SAs shouldn't contact other firms before receiving an offer from their 2L firm, but should after receiving an offer.

beautyistruth
Posts: 213
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:23 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby beautyistruth » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:14 pm

I think the idea is that if the firm you contact contacts your current summer firm, it could hurt your chance of getting an offer, or at the very least, of getting an offer into the group you want to work for if it is a highly desirable group. I guess once you have the first offer in hand, they can't really rescind it because you're technically allowed to look around a bit before you commit. That said, it seems like people are already having some success getting in touch with firms, so maybe I'm wrong.

doctoroflaw91
Posts: 374
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:38 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:37 pm

beautyistruth wrote:I think the idea is that if the firm you contact contacts your current summer firm, it could hurt your chance of getting an offer, or at the very least, of getting an offer into the group you want to work for if it is a highly desirable group. I guess once you have the first offer in hand, they can't really rescind it because you're technically allowed to look around a bit before you commit. That said, it seems like people are already having some success getting in touch with firms, so maybe I'm wrong.



I imagine that most firms would understand that you're still awaiting an offer from your summer firm, and wouldn't jeopardize that for you.

OutoftheWoods
Posts: 106
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:49 pm

Re: 3L OCI

Postby OutoftheWoods » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:46 pm

massmailed today. complete fail so far. the vale of tears is real.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Who are people emailing when they contact firms that gave them offers?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273254
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: 3L OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:58 pm

Any thoughts on the notion that, since summer classes at many, many firms have reached record-highs after the crisis, 3L hiring won't be as robust as, say...last summer?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.