3L OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
rgsm1987

New

Re: 3L OCI

Post by rgsm1987 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Can the person who got offers in all those places--i.e. K &E, STB an DP tell us a little bit about your stats--i.e. are you from New York? Are you URM? Are you from Cornell, Gtown or Northwestern? Thanks!
Not from New York, not URM, but a very strong interviewee with a lot of leadership roles at school and interesting prior work experience. From Cornell. I applied very late (early September) so I think I got lucky with how things turned out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:05 am

Congratulations again--I'm very impressed.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks! I had a sub-3.0 GPA after my first semester and got very lucky getting a 2L SA at all, so just wanted to let people know that there is hope even if you screw up in your first year!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:23 am

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks! I had a sub-3.0 GPA after my first semester and got very lucky getting a 2L SA at all, so just wanted to let people know that there is hope even if you screw up in your first year!
Damn. Teach us your interviewing ways!

whitecollar23

Bronze

Post by whitecollar23 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A little late, but K&E NY callback 2 weeks ago, offer the next day/STB callback last week, offer 5 days later/DPW callback last week, offer two days later. Around median at lower T-14 with very dramatic upward grade trend (awful grades 1L) and V100 SA in a secondary market. It can happen!
Business days or total days? And which day was interview/which days was offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:19 pm

Post callback ding from Weil :( came in the mail today.

Today sucked. :(

Dithyfish

New

Post by Dithyfish » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:49 pm

I feel your pain anon on Weil. I got it too. Just keep on pluggin along and try not to let it get you down.

Dithyfish

New

Post by Dithyfish » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:47 pm

I feel your pain anon on Weil. I got it too. Just keep on pluggin along and try not to let it get you down.

aunt_pearl

New

Post by aunt_pearl » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:03 pm

Dithyfish wrote:I feel your pain anon on Weil. I got it too. Just keep on pluggin along and try not to let it get you down.
Thanks.

I'm sorry to whine but I'm just going to whine for a bit:
I've done everything right my whole life. It just seems so stupid/unfair that my grades from two years ago have impacted me in this horrible way. I was offered over the summer, but it pays less than half of market. And I'm worried that once I take the bar, I'll be stuck in my home state. I know I'm lucky to have a job, but really I basically cry myself to sleep at nights, thinking about how I'm going to pay off my horrible student loans and get out of this horrible mess.

ETA: I'm the Weil anon above.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:57 pm

Checking in! Ending my 3L job search, accepting an offer by end of this week.

School Range: CCN
Market(s): NYC
Approximate class rank: Top 25%
Law review: Secondary journal
Work experience: Had an offer from my 2L summer firm.
Anything else that might have an impact?: Probably not.
Screening Interviews: 1
Callbacks received: 3
Callbacks accepted: 3
Offers: DVP, Weil, STB. Offers came within four days of the callback.
How many firms just didn't get back with you with a rejection/callback?: QE, LW, KE.
Thank-you notes sent: None.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:44 pm

whitecollar23 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A little late, but K&E NY callback 2 weeks ago, offer the next day/STB callback last week, offer 5 days later/DPW callback last week, offer two days later. Around median at lower T-14 with very dramatic upward grade trend (awful grades 1L) and V100 SA in a secondary market. It can happen!
Business days or total days? And which day was interview/which days was offer?
Business days. K&E interview was Thursday, offer Friday AM; STB was Wednesday, offer Tuesday; DPW was Tuesday, offer Thursday.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Last edited by barkschool on Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:15 pm

You can't say you've done everything right if you screwed up 1L. There are KJDs with strong grades at top schools but no offer at all

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Any job opportunities coming up atm? Just got rejected after a CB and don't see anything else being posted

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:08 pm

Any job opportunities coming up atm? Just got rejected after a CB and don't see anything else being posted

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm

I think we are det.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:42 pm

Anyone hear anything from sewkis?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:52 pm

WSGR SV interviewing

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:01 pm

I had 3 interviews through my school's (T2) 3LOL OCI. Two callbacks resulted that both occurred late September. I think both went well, but who knows.

Both firms gave me a turnaround time of one to two weeks. After hearing nothing, I sent an updated resume and transcript to each at the two-week mark (legit-ish reason, grade from independent research project over summer came in). Both replied. Firm #1, said essentially: "Great, thank you!" Firm #2 called me and explained what was going on. Basically, the only reason Firm #2 came to 3L OCI was because one of their 2L summer associates had not accepted Firm #2's offer yet. S/he still hasn't. Firm #2 is waiting on this summer associate to accept/decline their offer. If s/he declines, they will make me an offer. Seems a little blah, but it is what it is.

It has now been c. 1.5 weeks since I followed-up. Silence from both firms. I prefer Firm #1 over #2, but don't want to annoy Firm #1/eff up by following-up again too soon. I plan on reaching out to Firm #2 next week just to figure out if anything is new (I've met several times/had good rapport with one of the interviewer's from Firm #2, and feel pretty comfortable reaching out to him).

Any advice? How should I go about contacting Firm #1 (or, should I?)? At this point, is Firm #1 a rejection and I might as well find out sooner rather than later? Thanks, at the very least, for letting me vent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had 3 interviews through my school's (T2) 3LOL OCI. Two callbacks resulted that both occurred late September. I think both went well, but who knows.

Both firms gave me a turnaround time of one to two weeks. After hearing nothing, I sent an updated resume and transcript to each at the two-week mark (legit-ish reason, grade from independent research project over summer came in). Both replied. Firm #1, said essentially: "Great, thank you!" Firm #2 called me and explained what was going on. Basically, the only reason Firm #2 came to 3L OCI was because one of their 2L summer associates had not accepted Firm #2's offer yet. S/he still hasn't. Firm #2 is waiting on this summer associate to accept/decline their offer. If s/he declines, they will make me an offer. Seems a little blah, but it is what it is.

It has now been c. 1.5 weeks since I followed-up. Silence from both firms. I prefer Firm #1 over #2, but don't want to annoy Firm #1/eff up by following-up again too soon. I plan on reaching out to Firm #2 next week just to figure out if anything is new (I've met several times/had good rapport with one of the interviewer's from Firm #2, and feel pretty comfortable reaching out to him).

Any advice? How should I go about contacting Firm #1 (or, should I?)? At this point, is Firm #1 a rejection and I might as well find out sooner rather than later? Thanks, at the very least, for letting me vent.
Not sure if it's a good idea to keep asking for updates if you don't have an expiring offer at hand. My experience is if they want you they will let you know, if they don't want you they will either (1)keep you hanging or (2)e/mail you 10 months later.

I'm assuming no news is good news. Keep hustling!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:35 pm

I'm a 2L; so if this thread is for 3L's only, just ignore this post.

I'm at one of the non-T14 NYC schools. I've got mediocre grades, probably struck out at OCI, waiting to hear from a few firms but receiving a callback is probably a pipe dream at this point. Anyway, I received an offer from a smaller firm outside of the city. It has about 100 attorneys. Full-time offers are not guaranteed. Made on a case by case basis, taking into account the firm's needs, etc. I'll probably take the job, try my hardest, etc. If I manage to get an offer, that's great.

As a 3L I'll still mass mail and do OCI. How do big law firms view mid law SA jobs? Can an offer from the latter make up for mediocre 1L grades? (Assuming my 2L grades improve and I manage to get a few more extracurricular on my resume.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:58 am

Keep trying ya'll. 2 friends of mine both got offers in the last 2 weeks. 1 v100, 1 nlj250. Both somewhere above median but below top 1/3 at t20.

edit: both in real estate practice groups for what its worth

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:16 am

gaddockteeg wrote:Keep trying ya'll. 2 friends of mine both got offers in the last 2 weeks. 1 v100, 1 nlj250. Both somewhere above median but below top 1/3 at t20.

Congrats! Which firms/location?

gaddockteeg

Bronze

Post by gaddockteeg » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
gaddockteeg wrote:Keep trying ya'll. 2 friends of mine both got offers in the last 2 weeks. 1 v100, 1 nlj250. Both somewhere above median but below top 1/3 at t20.

Congrats! Which firms/location?
Hey sorry, I don't feel too comfortable sharing that information- that sort of specificity would absolutely out them. If it was me, it wouldn't matter but I obv don't have permission from them to talk about their personal situations in a public forum.

One is DC/NY/LA/SF; the other is Philly/Miami/OC if that matters.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:58 pm

Just received an interview for a V50 in a primary market. Maybe there's still hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”