Odd Question: Dressing for Success

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
capnobvious123

Odd Question: Dressing for Success

Postby capnobvious123 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi all,

Hopefully this isn't the wrong place to post this thread (seemed about as close as any), but I wanted to ask for advice/tips on dressing well from people who probably have a good deal of experience in the matter.

I'm a 0L, applying to law schools this cycle, but I'm also starting as a paralegal at a small firm soon. My sense of style for formal men's attire is virtually non-existent, so I was hoping people might have advice on where to read up on picking out good looking suits/dress shirts/etc.

I'm not quite sure what the dress code is at the small firm where I'll be working, but from what I've gathered it can't be more than button downs and ties, and probably less formal than that. Still, advice for the long run in the legal field would be nice, as I'm pretty clueless.

Advice specifically catered to picking things out on a budget would be appreciated as well, although feel free to speak more broadly than this. It'd just be nice if I could get an idea of things I should be looking to pick out while on a 32k-40k paralegal salary.

Thanks! Again, apologies if this thread is totally misplaced. Fairly new here.

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Re: Odd Question: Dressing for Success

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:54 pm

Dude don't wear a suit as a paralegal if the lawyers aren't. It's weird enough to be a male paralegal.

capnobvious123

Postby capnobvious123 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:59 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Dude don't wear a suit as a paralegal if the lawyers aren't. It's weird enough to be a male paralegal.

Yeah sorry, not planning on it, although I'm not sure what the dress code is there, like I said.

I just meant for future reference, advice on suits would be appreciated.

General advice on picking out dress shirts/ties etc and where to get them would be great.

Where do people shop? Recommend a brand?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:02 pm

Allen Edmonds for shoes. Suit Supply, Brooks Brothers, or J. Crew for suits. And Brooks brothers for shirts. And thetiebar.com for ties.

orangecup

Postby orangecup » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:05 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:Allen Edmonds for shoes. Suit Supply, Brooks Brothers, or J. Crew for suits. And Brooks brothers for shirts. And thetiebar.com for ties.

Pretty accurate. My vote is Suit Supply for suits, since they're half-canvassed, solid fabrics, and already marked down. You shouldn't be buying suits from Brooks Brothers unless it's a sale.

stannis

Postby stannis » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:42 pm

Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts. Use the chat function on Customer Support to get a link to the $29 shirt sale. Get extra-slim if you are slim, slim if you are larger than average, and classic if you are very large. Or buy one of each, return the ones you don't like and buy 5-10 of the ones you like. The fewer shirts you have in your rotation, the simpler the patterns and colors should be. For example, a subdued Prince of Wales check shirt is fine every 3 weeks, but would be weird to wear every week. However, if you only want/can afford 5 shirts, stick with solid light blue or subtle patterns. Start with puppytooth, bengal stripes, and gingham (assuming business casual).

Also, don't wear a tie without a jacket. Lots of young male professionals and sub-professionals do this thinking it looks "professional." It has the opposite effect.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:44 pm

lacrossebrother wrote:It's weird enough to be a male paralegal.

:lol:

capnobvious123

Postby capnobvious123 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:30 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Wasn't aware there were gender conventions for paralegal jobs, but whatever, I'll be there for a year until I get into law school. Just a way to make some cash and have a law related soft to put on the resume.

everton125

Postby everton125 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:16 pm

[quote="capnobvious123"]Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate it.

Wasn't aware there were gender conventions for paralegal jobs, but whatever, I'll be there for a year until I get into law school. Just a way to make some cash and have a law related soft to put on the resume.[]

It is probably the case that female paralegals outnumber male paralegals, but it was fairly ridiculous, borderline sexist, and just an overall dick move by the laxbro guy to suggest that there is anything odd about being a male paralegal. I work as a biglaw paralegal and, though female paralegals do outnumber the male paralegals at my office, it is like a 60%/40% split, and males are very well represented. Maybe the split is more dramatic outside of biglaw, but there is certainly nothing wrong or even odd about males working as a paralegal before law school. I personally found the experience to be a great one, as I have detailed excessively in a previous post that you can read (you will likely be the first).

I hope you enjoy your job.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:58 pm

This thread is definitely one of Lax's best efforts in the on topics IMO. On so many levels.

OP- there are like 2 official men's style threads on TLS. And every summer associate thread devolves into one as well. Those should all get you where you need to go (though what Lax said is a pretty excellent cliff's notes version)

Clemenceau

Postby Clemenceau » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:18 pm

stannis wrote:Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts. Use the chat function on Customer Support to get a link to the $29 shirt sale. Get extra-slim if you are slim, slim if you are larger than average, and classic if you are very large. Or buy one of each, return the ones you don't like and buy 5-10 of the ones you like. The fewer shirts you have in your rotation, the simpler the patterns and colors should be. For example, a subdued Prince of Wales check shirt is fine every 3 weeks, but would be weird to wear every week. However, if you only want/can afford 5 shirts, stick with solid light blue or subtle patterns. Start with puppytooth, bengal stripes, and gingham (assuming business casual).

Also, don't wear a tie without a jacket. Lots of young male professionals and sub-professionals do this thinking it looks "professional." It has the opposite effect.

This post is spot-on from top to bottom.

capnobvious123

Postby capnobvious123 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:41 pm

BigZuck wrote:This thread is definitely one of Lax's best efforts in the on topics IMO. On so many levels.

OP- there are like 2 official men's style threads on TLS. And every summer associate thread devolves into one as well. Those should all get you where you need to go (though what Lax said is a pretty excellent cliff's notes version)

Oh. I'm an idiot. Search functions exist for a reason. My bad guys. Regardless, thanks for the feedback, this thread is obviously a little easier to sort through than those other very lengthy ones. Appreciate the condensed advice.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 am

Clemenceau wrote:
stannis wrote:Charles Tyrwhitt for shirts. Use the chat function on Customer Support to get a link to the $29 shirt sale. Get extra-slim if you are slim, slim if you are larger than average, and classic if you are very large. Or buy one of each, return the ones you don't like and buy 5-10 of the ones you like. The fewer shirts you have in your rotation, the simpler the patterns and colors should be. For example, a subdued Prince of Wales check shirt is fine every 3 weeks, but would be weird to wear every week. However, if you only want/can afford 5 shirts, stick with solid light blue or subtle patterns. Start with puppytooth, bengal stripes, and gingham (assuming business casual).

This post is spot-on from top to bottom.

Return to “Legal Employment”