Do biglaw firms look at or care about 3L grades?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stronitsing

Do biglaw firms look at or care about 3L grades?

Postby stronitsing » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:25 pm

I have an offer at a V100 that is not super prestigious, but still relatively selective. This year and semester are shaping up to be my worst in LS, with many B's. I'm at a t14.

Do firms typically ask for, or care about, 3L grades? This has been discussed once or twice, but not with much detail. Thanks.

UVAIce

Re: Do biglaw firms look at or care about 3L grades?

Postby UVAIce » Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:43 pm

Depends. I know that the firm I am going to let me know over my 2L SA that they asked for a final transcript when everything was said and done. But they also let me know that I wouldn't lose my offer because of 3L grades.

From everything I know your bad 3L grades won't make you lose your job, but it might make it more difficult to lateral in the future.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:31 pm

firms ask for a final transcript just to make sure you graduated, not to scrutinize your 3L grades

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:12 pm

No. The final transcript is only to see that you finished your degree. By this point, the firm has invested so much money and time in you that you would need to do something really egregious to mess it up, like fail a class or get all B-. The only exception to this is if the firm has financial problems--then they might use grades to see which offers to rescind.

Return to “Legal Employment”