Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lavitz

Re: Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Mao wrote:In future years, applicants should each be assigned a number, and the results should be posted online, preferably before bidlists are due.

I will simply quote my own mentor in response to this.
Arbiter213 wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:The fact that they release journal information after bidlists are due is such a crock of shit.

Grading takes a lot of time man- the journals try as hard as they can to get it out but it just takes a long time to grade 160+ comps.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:08 pm

If we haven't heard back re Honors Fellow applications today, does that mean it's a no-go?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If we haven't heard back re Honors Fellow applications today, does that mean it's a no-go?

Seems like it. I know of two sections that have released them, so it's probably all today, unless someone transfers and declines their offer.

Mao

Postby Mao » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:16 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Mao wrote:In future years, applicants should each be assigned a number, and the results should be posted online, preferably before bidlists are due.

I will simply quote my own mentor in response to this.
Arbiter213 wrote:
teachmehowtoraji wrote:The fact that they release journal information after bidlists are due is such a crock of shit.

Grading takes a lot of time man- the journals try as hard as they can to get it out but it just takes a long time to grade 160+ comps.

No doubt it's a tough job. But sliding the bidlist deadline back a few days and sliding up journal decisions a few too could allow students to tailor their bids accordingly.

Any word on the streets for JLPP?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:23 pm

Dude, who are you kidding? Making a secondary journal is not going to markedly affect your odds at any firm. Law review, maybe, but even then it's more something that makes candidates who were already GPA qualified more likely to get an offer than something that changes who you bid.

Quit whining and sit tight.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:29 pm

Idk dude, it may have changed my bidding. I may have felt a little more confident bidding at firms that I may have been a 50/50 at...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:39 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If we haven't heard back re Honors Fellow applications today, does that mean it's a no-go?

Seems like it. I know of two sections that have released them, so it's probably all today, unless someone transfers and declines their offer.

Those that were offered HF's have until Monday to accept. Perhaps next week others may hear about HF if some decide to decline.

Mao

Postby Mao » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dude, who are you kidding? Making a secondary journal is not going to markedly affect your odds at any firm. Law review, maybe, but even then it's more something that makes candidates who were already GPA qualified more likely to get an offer than something that changes who you bid.

Quit whining and sit tight.

I've already heard back, and yes, it is a secondary journal and likely would not have changed my bidlist. But hearing back doesn't change the logic behind having journal decisions come out before bidlists are due.

Someone who does not make any journal may easily want to remove a reach for a safety.
Someone with a slightly lower GPA who made LR would have an anchor to their statement that they have the potential to be a great lawyer but just happen not to take exams well.

*shrugs* just sayin'.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:56 pm

Mao wrote:I've already heard back, and yes, it is a secondary journal and likely would not have changed my bidlist. But hearing back doesn't change the logic behind having journal decisions come out before bidlists are due.

The problem is logistics--not logic. The logic of the timing is fine. But convincing OCS to push the deadline back and getting everyone on all the journals to work harder to get decisions out faster is not as easy as you make it sound. But you are welcome to try.

ramadden13

Postby ramadden13 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:58 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Mao wrote:I've already heard back, and yes, it is a secondary journal and likely would not have changed my bidlist. But hearing back doesn't change the logic behind having journal decisions come out before bidlists are due.

The problem is logistics--not logic. The logic of the timing is fine. But convincing OCS to push the deadline back and getting everyone on all the journals to work harder to get decisions out faster is not as easy as you make it sound. But you are welcome to try.

It's nice that some people still have optimism after 1L.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:07 pm

ramadden13 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:

It's nice that some people still have optimism after 1L.

The key is coming into 1L pessimistic. That way you have one less thing they can take away from you.

tyrant_flycatcher

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:26 pm

Lavitz wrote:

I would start with moving away from a program that takes 72 hours to generate schedules. What is Symplicity doing for three entire days?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:35 pm

So if we haven't heard from secondary journals then is it a no go for that too? Jeesh. Failing law school hard. Sigh

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So if we haven't heard from secondary journals then is it a no go for that too? Jeesh. Failing law school hard. Sigh

JLPP is not out yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:41 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So if we haven't heard from secondary journals then is it a no go for that too? Jeesh. Failing law school hard. Sigh

JLPP is not out yet.

Thanks Lavitz, I guess there's some hope for me yet lol...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:21 pm

To above anon, keep your head up and keep grinding. Still a long way to go

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:34 pm

Regarding the utility of secondary journals: working this 1L summer in our attention to detail obsessed industry I have learnt that I need to step up my writing skills.

I still fear semicolons and couldn't identify a gerund to save my life. My hope is that being on any journal will give me lots of practice with these sorts of things and build up my writing skills.

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Agree that journal results should come out sooner, according to my co-workers and other law schools I've heard of they get their results like early July at the latest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Talking to people about who made what journal is the most painful and awkward thing ever. AJF is going to be much worse than this.

What's the etiquette? Do we just have to walk on egg shells until October break, basically?

Wol

Postby Wol » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:01 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
koval wrote:Is the correct method for emailing firms that you bid on but didn't get screeners for to send them a resume and transcript. Or, should we also be sending them a writing sample and maybe a cover letter.

For what its worth I've been sending just resume and transcript. So far I've gotten 2 screeners and/or "we'll try and find time at AJF for you" out of it, and I'm waiting to hear back on the other ones. But no one has raised issue of no writing sample or requested one yet.

About how long did it take them to get back to you?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:26 pm

Wol wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:
koval wrote:Is the correct method for emailing firms that you bid on but didn't get screeners for to send them a resume and transcript. Or, should we also be sending them a writing sample and maybe a cover letter.

For what its worth I've been sending just resume and transcript. So far I've gotten 2 screeners and/or "we'll try and find time at AJF for you" out of it, and I'm waiting to hear back on the other ones. But no one has raised issue of no writing sample or requested one yet.

About how long did it take them to get back to you?

I've had had 3, with 2 being "we'll try and get you at AJF". All 3 have been within 3 hours of my email. Everyone else has been silence or comes around way later.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Regarding the utility of secondary journals: working this 1L summer in our attention to detail obsessed industry I have learnt that I need to step up my writing skills.

I still fear semicolons and couldn't identify a gerund to save my life. My hope is that being on any journal will give me lots of practice with these sorts of things and build up my writing skills.

I've learned quickly that what I learned in lawyering is overkill in practice. A little frustrating really.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Talking to people about who made what journal is the most painful and awkward thing ever. AJF is going to be much worse than this.

What's the etiquette? Do we just have to walk on egg shells until October break, basically?

I've actively tried to avoid talking about my journal stuff with 1Ls. Idk why, but I feel rude otherwise. It sucks because, besides my parents, I have no no one to share my life with now. law school, man.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:03 pm

--
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:05 pm

^ Shots fired.
Last edited by Lavitz on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Legal Employment”