Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Wait so I can't round my 3.5 up to a 4.0? What the hell!

Bigredwolf

Postby Bigredwolf » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm

Hi all, I was reading the CSO's email this morning and they said our writing sample should be 5-10 pages. I was thinking about submitting my persuasive memo, which is ten pages of substance, but 12 pages total with the table of contents and title page. Is this ok to submit?

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:18 pm

Bigredwolf wrote:Hi all, I was reading the CSO's email this morning and they said our writing sample should be 5-10 pages. I was thinking about submitting my persuasive memo, which is ten pages of substance, but 12 pages total with the table of contents and title page. Is this ok to submit?

Yes. Nobody's going to ding you because your writing sample is 2 pages over our CSO's recommended limit when you include a table of contents and a title page explaining what the writing sample is.

tyrant_flycatcher

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wait so I can't round my 3.5 up to a 4.0? What the hell!

I'm rounding Cornell up to Columbia and my A- in Con Law to a CALI

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:02 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wait so I can't round my 3.5 up to a 4.0? What the hell!

I'm rounding Cornell up to Columbia and my A- in Con Law to a CALI

CLS is CLS

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:50 pm

In case anyone reading this forum isn't thinking about doing so, MAIL, especially the firms that you didn't get at AJF after bidding on them. I got a CB from a market-paying firm shortly after reaching out to them.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone reading this forum isn't thinking about doing so, MAIL, especially the firms that you didn't get at AJF after bidding on them. I got a CB from a market-paying firm shortly after reaching out to them.

+1000. This is literally the best thing you can do right now. That and researching all you can about firms which is equally as important.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Thu Jul 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In case anyone reading this forum isn't thinking about doing so, MAIL, especially the firms that you didn't get at AJF after bidding on them. I got a CB from a market-paying firm shortly after reaching out to them.

You can get multiple CBs this way. If you're already in the area of your home market (i.e., going home to visit for the last few weeks of summer), tell the biglaw firms in your market. If you're going to be in NYC before AJF, email some of the firms not coming to OCI (and the ones you didn't get bids with). Just email/email/email.

koval

Postby koval » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:20 am

Is the correct method for emailing firms that you bid on but didn't get screeners for to send them a resume and transcript. Or, should we also be sending them a writing sample and maybe a cover letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:20 am

For the love of God secondaries...

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:31 am

koval wrote:Is the correct method for emailing firms that you bid on but didn't get screeners for to send them a resume and transcript. Or, should we also be sending them a writing sample and maybe a cover letter.

For what its worth I've been sending just resume and transcript. So far I've gotten 2 screeners and/or "we'll try and find time at AJF for you" out of it, and I'm waiting to hear back on the other ones. But no one has raised issue of no writing sample or requested one yet.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:32 am

koval wrote:Is the correct method for emailing firms that you bid on but didn't get screeners for to send them a resume and transcript. Or, should we also be sending them a writing sample and maybe a cover letter.

Look at what they require at AJF. If they say writing sample, then send in writing sample too. If not, then don't. Cover letter is probably unnecessary. I just put in the body a short something about how I was interested in working there and bid on them but didn't get them, etc.

Also, I heard Honors Fellow picks were released early?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:42 am

Can confirm re honors fellow offers being out

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:50 am

Are honors fellow results for all the profs released at the same time?

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:57 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:

For what its worth I've been sending just resume and transcript. So far I've gotten 2 screeners and/or "we'll try and find time at AJF for you" out of it, and I'm waiting to hear back on the other ones. But no one has raised issue of no writing sample or requested one yet.

Can confirm this. Gotten a lot of love with just resume/transcript and a brief cover-letter in the body of the email

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:18 am

Secondary journals notifications are going out now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:22 am

Yeah, ILJ sent an email.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:39 am

Do they just send an email? And was it just one mass one or is it staggered?

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:46 am

runinthefront wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

Can confirm this. Gotten a lot of love with just resume/transcript and a brief cover-letter in the body of the email

I've been asked for writing samples in the reply email, so make sure to have them on-hand.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:49 am

any decisions from jlpp?

Toubro

Postby Toubro » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:22 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:

+1000. This is literally the best thing you can do right now. That and researching all you can about firms which is equally as important.

Query, when you say research all you can about firms, what exactly are we looking for? Like before going in for the screener, I'm guessing we should know the firm's party line as to their culture and what sets them apart, their stronger practice areas, and a couple of reasons you see yourself mixing well with the culture. But what else?

Should we also be looking at things like recent deals they've closed (for corporate), and have names of their big partners and their work? I think all of that might look a bit too researched, but idk.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do they just send an email? And was it just one mass one or is it staggered?

I got ILJ. Looks like it was BCC'd, although mine arrived 30 minutes later than some people reported in this thread, so I am not sure how that worked.

Relieved to say the least. Given how writing comp went I was starting to think I didn't make it.

FYI, in case anyone else is like me where I nearly didn't read to the bottom of the email, we are given ~24 hours to respond and confirm that we will be coming on.

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Toubro wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

Query, when you say research all you can about firms, what exactly are we looking for? Like before going in for the screener, I'm guessing we should know the firm's party line as to their culture and what sets them apart, their stronger practice areas, and a couple of reasons you see yourself mixing well with the culture. But what else?

Should we also be looking at things like recent deals they've closed (for corporate), and have names of their big partners and their work? I think all of that might look a bit too researched, but idk.

The vault guide has a list of cases/deals that have been making news or widely circulating the web. It may be helpful to be aware of these.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:any decisions from jlpp?

bump

Mao

Postby Mao » Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:any decisions from jlpp?

bump

It's strange that JLPP didn't come out together with ILJ. Actually, it's strange that all three aren't dropped at the same time. In future years, applicants should each be assigned a number, and the results should be posted online, preferably before bidlists are due.

Return to “Legal Employment”