Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:52 pm

13 interviews between the 3rd/4th. Pleased.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:52 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know Dean DeRosa said that we should go to the hospitality suites of firms that we bid on but didn't get, but should we also reach out to them beforehand?

Yes feel free to send emails to recruiting contacts.

Some firms already have my resume on file. Should I still attach my resume when I reach out to these firms?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:58 pm

Q re: soliciting a few more slots. Should we immediately (like within next few days) reach out to the firms we missed? and if so, should we treat it as if we were mass mailing? (resume, transcript, e-mail cover, etc.?)

Yea All Right

Postby Yea All Right » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:20 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:Q re: soliciting a few more slots. Should we immediately (like within next few days) reach out to the firms we missed? and if so, should we treat it as if we were mass mailing? (resume, transcript, e-mail cover, etc.?)

I would think the sooner the better. Probably treat it like you are mass-mailing unless you have a relationship with the person you are emailing and can be more casual about it.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:49 pm

Yea All Right wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:Q re: soliciting a few more slots. Should we immediately (like within next few days) reach out to the firms we missed? and if so, should we treat it as if we were mass mailing? (resume, transcript, e-mail cover, etc.?)

I would think the sooner the better. Probably treat it like you are mass-mailing unless you have a relationship with the person you are emailing and can be more casual about it.

Sure, but obviously mention that you bid on them and didn't get them.

It's more likely to succeed if someone at the firm vouches for you. If you know anyone at the firm, maybe ask them if they would be willing to forward your resume. I just e-mailed an associate who did a mock interview with me, said I missed them in bidding, asked if he "had any advice," and attached my resume and transcript "if that helps." He forwarded it to the recruiting coordinator for me and attached a positive review. Eventually got a screener and a CB.

runinthefront

Postby runinthefront » Fri Jul 10, 2015 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know Dean DeRosa said that we should go to the hospitality suites of firms that we bid on but didn't get, but should we also reach out to them beforehand?

Yes feel free to send emails to recruiting contacts.

Some firms already have my resume on file. Should I still attach my resume when I reach out to these firms?

Yes. Don't make them dig

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:45 pm

Lavitz wrote:
Yea All Right wrote:

Sure, but obviously mention that you bid on them and didn't get them.

It's more likely to succeed if someone at the firm vouches for you. If you know anyone at the firm, maybe ask them if they would be willing to forward your resume. I just e-mailed an associate who did a mock interview with me, said I missed them in bidding, asked if he "had any advice," and attached my resume and transcript "if that helps." He forwarded it to the recruiting coordinator for me and attached a positive review. Eventually got a screener and a CB.

Yep do this, and as runinthefront said, don't make them dig for your resume. Recruiters are literally getting dozens/hundreds of emails during this period, so make it as easy for them as possible.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:56 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Yep do this, and as runinthefront said, don't make them dig for your resume. Recruiters are literally getting dozens/hundreds of emails during this period, so make it as easy for them as possible.

Yes, to illustrate: one firm asked for a writing sample. I included it when I mailed recruiting. I included it when I e-mailed a summer to forward it to recruiting. I included it when I dropped off my stuff at their hospitality suite. When they finally decided to give me a screener after AJF, they still asked me to send a writing sample; they didn't realize I gave it to them 3 times already.

tyrant_flycatcher

Postby tyrant_flycatcher » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:01 pm

A few more questions for Lavitz and ImNoScar:

1. In their latest email, Career Services hedged on whether we should sign up for open slots right before or after another interview. Can we expect firms to understand that an interview or two may run over or should we not risk it and make sure we have time to reload?

2. Should we visit hospitality suites of firms that we'll already be interviewing at, just to get our face out there and convey interest? Or is how we perform in screeners all that matters?

3. Should we print our resumes on something other than printer paper? And although I know this has been beaten to death on TLS, what are your thoughts on including an 'interests' section in your resume?

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:11 pm

tyrant_flycatcher wrote:A few more questions for Lavitz and ImNoScar:

2. Should we visit hospitality suites of firms that we'll already be interviewing at, just to get our face out there and convey interest? Or is how we perform in screeners all that matters?

3. Should we print our resumes on something other than printer paper? And although I know this has been beaten to death on TLS, what are your thoughts on including an 'interests' section in your resume?

I'm not Lavitz or ImNoScar so obviously defer to their opinion, but 2) I was told if there is a hospitality for your suite, stop by right before your interview, say hi, further establish your interest so they remember you at the end of the day. 3) Resumes should be on resume paper and I've been told definitely put an interest section as it can be a source of conversation/connection.

again, just 1L but this is what i've heard so far.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:15 pm

1. In their latest email, Career Services hedged on whether we should sign up for open slots right before or after another interview. Can we expect firms to understand that an interview or two may run over or should we not risk it and make sure we have time to reload?

1) I would not sign up for back to back interviews (i.e. you have an interview that ends at 10:20am and you want to sign up for one that starts at 10:20am). It's common for interviews to go a few minutes over, and then there's no guarantee that the next room will be anywhere close to yours. The elevators will be packed and take forever, so you may end up rushing up or down stairs, arrive 5 minutes late and make a terrible first impression. Not only that, but someone will be scheduled for 10:40am so your screener will cut your interview short or you're pushing the entire schedule back. 20 minutes in between each interview should be fine though. I think I wrote out a list of the possible times I could schedule interviews and referenced it as I raced to find something that worked for me as soon as open slots opened.

2) Yes. Before or after screeners. I think before the screener might be better. You may learn something about the screener that will help you in the interview, or you can at least tell the screener that you already visited the suite and that will make you look more interested in the firm. But after is still good. I visited the DPW suite after my screener to ask a few questions about the firm that I didn't get to ask in my screener, and they wrote down my name. They were apparently keeping track of who visited, and I assume it influenced the screeners' decisions.

3) Resume paper is definitely preferable to printer paper, but it's not a must have. I used printer paper. An interests section, an the other hand, is very important. You should have one.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:17 pm

1. Lavitz is right that you should generally try to avoid this when possible. But you should still do it if its the only option - firms are generally pretty understanding with this. It is the smarter move to maximize your screeners even if it means that you will be 1 or 2 minutes late to your next screener. I found my interviewers to be sympathetic the couple of times this happened to me. But I like Lavitz's suggestion of having your schedule when open slots pop up so you can avoid this as much as possible.

2. Yes, you should because it can only help you. Generally you won't see the interviewing partners at the hospitality suite (unless you go at lunch, and even then they probably won't be doing the meet and greet), but you will see people from recruiting and former SAs, as well as probably a group of junior associates. The benefit is being able to say you went in your screener "I talked to X associate and he really confirmed the appeal of free market to me," or "it was great hearing about the high profile recent corporate transactions the firm has done, associate X solidified my interest in M&A/cap markets/bankruptcy etc." Those sorts of additional interest indicators can only help.

3. You can use resume paper or card stock but frankly it does not really matter. And as far as interests go, the more distinct the better. "Reading" is boring, "Russian Literature" is interesting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm an idiot and placed bids on some firms'' non-NYC offices without without looking up what practice areas they had. Bidding on a firm's office that pretty much only does Antitrust <<<<<

don't be like me

Sloth Hero

Postby Sloth Hero » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm an idiot and placed bids on some firms'' non-NYC offices without without looking up what practice areas they had. Bidding on a firm's office that pretty much only does Antitrust <<<<<

don't be like me

Antitrust is pretty interesting tho ^.^

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 am

Inside source says LR offers may come out today.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 am

Lavitz wrote:Inside source says LR offers may come out today.

wat

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:58 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:

wat

Calls have begun.

runthetrap1990

Postby runthetrap1990 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:03 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

wat

Calls have begun.

How does the process work. They go out in waves through today? and then the JLPP and ILJ would likely follow either tomorrow or Wednesday in the same manner?

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

wat

Calls have begun.

How does the process work. They go out in waves through today? and then the JLPP and ILJ would likely follow either tomorrow or Wednesday in the same manner?

Yes this is exactly how it works.

King Cayuga

Postby King Cayuga » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:06 pm

It's great that journal calls are going out so early. Hopefully we'll be able to know by midweek.

Lavitz

Postby Lavitz » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Even if you don't get called by a journal, you may be on a waitlist and you could get in at the end of the week when transfers decline their offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:37 pm

Lol @ Sue sending a random email re: law review Note submissions on the same day that calls/emails are going out.

Poor choice, Sue. Very poor choice

King Cayuga

Postby King Cayuga » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Lol @ Sue sending a random email re: law review Note submissions on the same day that calls/emails are going out.

Poor choice, Sue. Very poor choice

LOL. Wasn't there a similar incident last month with the registrar sending out an email early on the day grades were expected to be released?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Also, what fucking 1L has a full length and quality note just lying around? Is somebody supposedly composing a note during their free time (lol) during the semester, or did they supposedly write it in the last month? And if such a note did exist, did the person who wrote it really need an email to remind them "Oh yeah, this gigantic paper I've written, I have to send it to someone eventually."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, what fucking 1L has a full length and quality note just lying around? Is somebody supposedly composing a note during their free time (lol) during the semester, or did they supposedly write it in the last month? And if such a note did exist, did the person who wrote it really need an email to remind them "Oh yeah, this gigantic paper I've written, I have to send it to someone eventually."

lol preach brotha.

Return to “Legal Employment”