Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Arbiter213

Gold

Re: Cornell 2015 AJF/BOJF/DCJF/OCI

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:It sounds like we're in the same position then. I (mostly) fit the description of who the scholarship is supposed to benefit. I was considering referencing it when asked why I chose Cornell. Is it kosher to say that I decided on Cornell because I received a generous merit scholarship, or am I supposed to stick with answers like "I fell in love with upstate NY on my visit."
Sure, but literally no one is going to ask why you went to Cornell.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:54 am

Oh. I was under the impression that would be a popular question. Works for me.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:46 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It sounds like we're in the same position then. I (mostly) fit the description of who the scholarship is supposed to benefit. I was considering referencing it when asked why I chose Cornell. Is it kosher to say that I decided on Cornell because I received a generous merit scholarship, or am I supposed to stick with answers like "I fell in love with upstate NY on my visit."
I was asked "Why Cornell" in two callbacks I had for a 1L SA position. Then again, both were in secondary markets where Cornell alum weren't present. I doubt a fellow Cornellian would ask "Why Cornell?" But I'm sure it happens.
Last edited by runinthefront on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:43 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
I was asked "Why Cornell" in two callbacks I had for a 1L SA position. Then again, both were in secondary markets where Cornell alum weren't present. I doubt a fellow Cornellian would ask "Why Cornell?" But I'm sure it happens.
How do you like Cornell/Law School seems to be more popular.

ramadden13

New

Post by ramadden13 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:32 am

runthetrap1990 wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
How do you like Cornell/Law School seems to be more popular.
"How do you enjoy Ithaca?" is the most popular. I was asked that in almost every interview. Smugly by CA firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:02 pm

How many people do we interview with? On Symplicity, if I click on an interview slot, in the top right corner ("Schedule Details") it has the information of the firm and the people doing the interviewing for that firm for AJF.

But then when I look at the main part of the page, under "OCI interview", it only shows my interviewer as one of the people listed in schedule details section. Does this mean I am only interviewing with that person, or is this a symplicity issue?

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many people do we interview with? On Symplicity, if I click on an interview slot, in the top right corner ("Schedule Details") it has the information of the firm and the people doing the interviewing for that firm for AJF.

But then when I look at the main part of the page, under "OCI interview", it only shows my interviewer as one of the people listed in schedule details section. Does this mean I am only interviewing with that person, or is this a symplicity issue?
1 or 2. But I remember one part should list all the people interviewing for the firm and then somewhere it should say who your interviewer(s) is, so that makes sense. The other interviewers will be in different rooms. Since the most slots a firm can have is 80, firms can have up to 4 rooms and the 1 or 2 interviewers in each room each interview about 20 people per day. But interviewers may change the day of, so it's helpful to research the other ones too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:11 pm

Thoughts on this open slots session:

1) Interviews with DPW, Cravath, and Gibson Dunn are of no value to me
2) I was a fool for thinking that not all 20 of Sidley LA's slots would get snatched up in 3 minutes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:23 pm

They'd be really valuable to me...if they weren't at times I already have interviews. Such a tease.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:33 pm

3 open slots sessions, and only able to get one interview which didn't conflict with my schedule. Sigh.

JaysonNix1aDay

New

Post by JaysonNix1aDay » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Bros, check open slots yet. Somehow another slot opened up for Cravath, when I checked this afternoon there wasn't a slot for me, when I was scrolling through tonight to look up some numbers for a friend there was a slot open for me.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:00 pm

What's the smallest number of writing samples I can print out and still be safe for 18 interviews? Also taking advice on transcripts, reference sheets, and resumes.

runthetrap1990

Bronze

Post by runthetrap1990 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the smallest number of writing samples I can print out and still be safe for 18 interviews? Also taking advice on transcripts, reference sheets, and resumes.
If you are looking to minimize....bring 10-12? 5 for monday, 5 for Tuesday, and then 2 if you have wednesday interviews.

WRT transcripts, just go 20-22, same for resumes. For references? 8 to 10 total?

That could be totally off base though. So I'm curious as well.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:24 pm

runthetrap1990 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:What's the smallest number of writing samples I can print out and still be safe for 18 interviews? Also taking advice on transcripts, reference sheets, and resumes.
If you are looking to minimize....bring 10-12? 5 for monday, 5 for Tuesday, and then 2 if you have wednesday interviews.

WRT transcripts, just go 20-22, same for resumes. For references? 8 to 10 total?

I'd do 7-10 writing samples / reference sheets. I don't remember anyone asking for them besides the places who I already knew would ask.

25-30 resumes / transcripts assuming some hospitality suite drops and interviews with 2 interviewers.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:00 pm

Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

I'd do 7-10 writing samples / reference sheets. I don't remember anyone asking for them besides the places who I already knew would ask.

25-30 resumes / transcripts assuming some hospitality suite drops and interviews with 2 interviewers.

Agree with Lavitz's numbers, though there's no way you'll need that many writing samples. I only printed 10 writing samples, used 3 I think.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:32 pm

Useful for gathering intel on firms quickly/ double-checking: http://www.navforward.com/#/dashboard/firms

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:34 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

Agree with Lavitz's numbers, though there's no way you'll need that many writing samples. I only printed 10 writing samples, used 3 I think.
Thanks! Do you remember which firms asked for writing samples?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Trippel wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

Cravath, White and Case, Quinn Emmanuel my year, as I recall.

ramadden13

New

Post by ramadden13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Trippel wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Lavitz wrote:
runthetrap1990 wrote:

Cravath, White and Case, Quinn Emmanuel my year, as I recall.
O'Melvany & Myers asked for one last year too.

King Cayuga

Gold

Post by King Cayuga » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:43 pm

I'm bringing plenty of resumes and enough writing samples considering how few firms ask for them, but could I get away with bringing only a dozen transcripts and 15 reference sheets? I'm planning on visiting 5-6 hospitality suites on top of my average # of screeners.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:46 pm

King Cayuga wrote:I'm bringing plenty of resumes and enough writing samples considering how few firms ask for them, but could I get away with bringing only a dozen transcripts and 15 reference sheets? I'm planning on visiting 5-6 hospitality suites on top of my average # of screeners.
Again, almost nobody will ask for reference sheets, but a lot will ask for transcripts. I'd bring the same number of resumes and transcripts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:02 pm

Good luck, kids.

And remember to report callbacks here.

BourneAgain

New

Post by BourneAgain » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:14 pm

How early is too early to visit hospitality suites?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:26 am

BourneAgain wrote:How early is too early to visit hospitality suites?
They'll tell you to come back if you're too early. Otherwise, no such thing.

Babum

Bronze

Post by Babum » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:08 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
About half my interviewers asked about why Cornell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”