Northwestern OCI 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYC-WVU
Posts: 276
Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:38 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby NYC-WVU » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So they told us employers were up but I'm not seeing anything on simplicity...am I missing something?

Also, when will they give us the median GPA information for firms? Is that along with the list of employers?

They went up at noon. I don't know anything about the GPA info.

User avatar
berndie90
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby berndie90 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:55 pm

GPA info is up as well. Look under Resources -> Document Library on Simplicity.

personofinterest
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby personofinterest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:44 pm

It says "password protected". What is the password, and why is it password protected if I already logged in to symplicity?

User avatar
berndie90
Posts: 82
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 1:37 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby berndie90 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:05 pm

personofinterest wrote:It says "password protected". What is the password, and why is it password protected if I already logged in to symplicity?


I opened it directly in another Chrome Tab just by clicking on the link instead of downloading it. No password was needed. Not sure if that helps or not though...

personofinterest
Posts: 84
Joined: Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:13 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby personofinterest » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:46 pm

berndie90 wrote:
personofinterest wrote:It says "password protected". What is the password, and why is it password protected if I already logged in to symplicity?


I opened it directly in another Chrome Tab just by clicking on the link instead of downloading it. No password was needed. Not sure if that helps or not though...


Thanks! It worked when I used chrome.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:27 pm

Long story short, I was not able to complete the write-on due to personal reasons and now i'm freaking out a bit. I have a good gpa 3.7+, but have I closed the door to elite firms in NY and Chicago? It seems most firms want journal experience. I want to do transactional work.

Thanks for the help in advance.

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Long story short, I was not able to complete the write-on due to personal reasons and now i'm freaking out a bit. I have a good gpa 3.7+, but have I closed the door to elite firms in NY and Chicago? It seems most firms want journal experience. I want to do transactional work.

Thanks for the help in advance.

You're fine. If you were targeting lit you might have reason to be nervous but for transactional it shouldn't be a big deal, your GPA will be more than enough.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:16 pm

In a similar vein, if i am interested in doing transactional work and i don't get Law Review, is it worth my time to participate in any of the secondary journals?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Cobretti » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:29 pm

Can't say for sure, it's certainly not going to help if you don't do any journal, just might not hurt very much. If your GPA is as high as the first anon there's a good chance you would land mostly the same offers as you would otherwise.

But tbf I'd do it if it was still an option, never know what will happen at the margins.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:18 pm

If I'm targeting Chicago with a 3.7 and demonstrate interest in transactional (even though I have zero relevant experience and my background screams litigation), should I be bidding drastically more conservatively in Chicago than NYC/secondary markets?

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If I'm targeting Chicago with a 3.7 and demonstrate interest in transactional (even though I have zero relevant experience and my background screams litigation), should I be bidding drastically more conservatively in Chicago than NYC/secondary markets?


Everyone targeting Chicago should have a plan B, but with a 3.7 I don't think you need to be super conservative in NYC.

You should probably have your top 5 firms in Chicago and use your first 5 bids on them. Then implement plan B with Bids 6-15. Plan B should likely be good Chicago/NYC firms (but not necessarily super-elite) with bigger classes.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:04 pm

The secondary market I'm targeting only has a small handful of firms coming to OCI. Is there any downside to contacting a legal recruiter in the city for helping finding a 2L spot? I have a 3.85 but just don't know much about that market.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:12 pm

Career services says we should email attorneys we met at networking events to meet for coffee. How do I do this without looking like it's a shameless Oci plug?

blackcup
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:38 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby blackcup » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Career services says we should email attorneys we met at networking events to meet for coffee. How do I do this without looking like it's a shameless Oci plug?


Mention specific things about this attorney that interest you (and mean it) in the email asking for coffee. Make it sound like you specifically picked that person out because s/he is special and you are interested in what s/he does. Last thing you want to do is send an email that looks like you copied and pasted it to multiple attorneys.

User avatar
splitsplat
Posts: 607
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:25 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby splitsplat » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In a similar vein, if i am interested in doing transactional work and i don't get Law Review, is it worth my time to participate in any of the secondary journals?


3.6++ with decent resume and interviewer, don't do non LR journal, not worth the time or effort. anything less or if you are super risk adverse, then maybe

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Cobretti » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:45 pm

blackcup wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Career services says we should email attorneys we met at networking events to meet for coffee. How do I do this without looking like it's a shameless Oci plug?


Mention specific things about this attorney that interest you (and mean it) in the email asking for coffee. Make it sound like you specifically picked that person out because s/he is special and you are interested in what s/he does. Last thing you want to do is send an email that looks like you copied and pasted it to multiple attorneys.

Also, as long as you make it personable like the above post stated, don't really sorry about making it a shameless plug for oci. They know the position you are in and were in the same spot not long ago. Saying you are getting ready for oci in a couple months and are hoping to learn more about their firm and practice area is perfectly acceptable and probably even the ideal approach.

User avatar
Dr. Filth
Posts: 1158
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:22 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Dr. Filth » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:01 pm

splitsplat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In a similar vein, if i am interested in doing transactional work and i don't get Law Review, is it worth my time to participate in any of the secondary journals?


3.6++ with decent resume and interviewer, don't do non LR journal, not worth the time or effort. anything less or if you are super risk adverse, then maybe

I would do a secondary journal if you've already gone through write on. It really isn't much work, and a couple of the journals aren't even requiring you to write notes. If you don't have to write a note, then you have maybe 10 hours of work for a resume line.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:11 pm

OP should post poll to see what cities everyone is planning on primarily bidding.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby cookiejar1 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:37 am

I think journal teaches you transferable skills in the sense that you learn to put up with tedious, meaningless, and arbitrary shit early on as a law student which is basically what life as a junior associate seems to be like.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:04 pm

Start posting your possible bid lists for us 2L's and 3L's to help you out on!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:18 pm

Dr. Filth wrote:
splitsplat wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In a similar vein, if i am interested in doing transactional work and i don't get Law Review, is it worth my time to participate in any of the secondary journals?


3.6++ with decent resume and interviewer, don't do non LR journal, not worth the time or effort. anything less or if you are super risk adverse, then maybe

I would do a secondary journal if you've already gone through write on. It really isn't much work, and a couple of the journals aren't even requiring you to write notes. If you don't have to write a note, then you have maybe 10 hours of work for a resume line.


If your bidding Chicago there's a decent chance you'll have a call back with an NU alum, and a decent chance that they did a non-LR journal. I'm not sure it moves the needle any on whether you should or shouldn't do journal, but having one more connection with an interviewer isn't a bad thing.

sener212
Posts: 25
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:51 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby sener212 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:47 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:I think journal teaches you transferable skills in the sense that you learn to put up with tedious, meaningless, and arbitrary shit early on as a law student which is basically what life as a junior associate seems to be like.

+1. I hated journal and always complained about it, but as a current first year associate I'll admit learning to be really detail oriented about stupid stuff is a skill I use -- and it's a skill I honed on a secondary journal.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:36 pm

3.27, could really use some advice on whether I should stick close to my GPA in 2-3 markets, or bid NYC exclusively and include more than a few reach firms.

There are only so many NYC offices with larger classes that seem attainable (i.e., have medians ~.2 above my GPA). At the same time, there are a good number of Chicago offices that are within that range, although with smaller classes. Given the common advice to bid NYC with large classes, is it worth going with more reach firms in NYC at the expense of these Chicago offices, or should I bid both markets and keep as close as possible to my GPA? Bidding both would lower the medians I’m up against, but I wonder what it will cost me.

Additionally, I have solid, family/WE ties in 1-2 secondary markets that seem to have much lower medians. Is it suicide to add these?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:21 am

I would hesitate to put too many eggs in the Chicago basket. I knew quite a few people that did that and struck out. But focus on nyc with your gpa.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273128
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:30 pm

How far above our GPA should we reach? i.e if we have a 3.50 what callback GPA is realistically attainable and not a "reach" also what callback GPA would be a reach for a 3.50?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.