Northwestern OCI 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Micdiddy

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 pm

NYC-WVU wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:General question, if you had a 4.3 and could go to any firm in the country, where would you go and why?

If I could go to any firm in the country, I'd go to Hamlin, Hamlin and McGill. If I had a 4.3, I'd probably think I could go to any firm in the country. If I had a 4.3 and I could go to any firm in the country, I'd probably end up at some sweatshop.

HHM, really? You want to do doc review on a fraud class-action against a retirement home for the next several years?
I'll be an associate for Hutz esq. Works on contingency? No, Money Down!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:54 pm

Is a 3.28 going to be considered medianish? Transactional NYC doable for an average interviewer?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Is a 3.28 going to be considered medianish? Transactional NYC doable for an average interviewer?

Yes but it's far from a guarantee. This puts you in the best position to succeed but you're going to want to have alternative strategies to be safe. This means mass mail and mass mail hard. All your secondary markets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:12 pm

3.85, heart set on litigation, don't want to live in NY. Thoughts?

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.85, heart set on litigation, don't want to live in NY. Thoughts?

Interview well and you should be set. You're hovering at the top 10% mark if I recall correctly. Try to nab a QE offer this summer before OCI starts which will allow you to go ham with your bidlist. Congrats, OCI should be easy for you just don't be weird.

somuchwaiting

Postby somuchwaiting » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:31 pm

cookiejar1 wrote:Interview well and you should be set. You're hovering at the top 10% mark if I recall correctly. Try to nab a QE offer this summer before OCI starts which will allow you to go ham with your bidlist. Congrats, OCI should be easy for you just don't be weird.

When does the QE hiring process start and what does it entail?

snapdragon25

Postby snapdragon25 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:52 pm

tagging for future reference

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:20 pm

What's QE?

onionz

Postby onionz » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:47 pm

Qe= quinn Emmanuel. Once you have grades you can apply. People had offers in June.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 am

Mid 3.8 here as well, how do we apply to QE? I thought they held some sort of mixer at some point?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:46 am

Does it make sense to wait for law review results before applying to QE and mass-mailing in July?

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:06 am

I hear Quinn is scrapping the mixer-interview experiment and going back to regular OCI this year.

SEO Training Karachi

Postby SEO Training Karachi » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:09 am

nice post i like it i really like good job

cookiejar1

Postby cookiejar1 » Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:33 am

bananasplit19 wrote:I hear Quinn is scrapping the mixer-interview experiment and going back to regular OCI this year.

Is this true? Then that's a shame. QE used to invite people to call backs during the summer and hand out offers before bidding for OCI was even due. I thought that was a huge differentiating point for them. I guess they weren't happy enough with their yield.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:12 am

I'm at a 3.37 with a low first semester and decent second semester targeting primarily Chi, but have no real WE. I'm a little indifferent about lit vs. transactional and really just want to maximize my chances for a job so I feel like targeting transactional is the way to go, but I don't know how to sell myself as really interested in that kind of work without WE. Will an A in BA help or not so much? tyia.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:19 am

Just to emphasize the NYC/Mass mail message. I thought i had strong midwest narrative. 3.7 LR

http://imgur.com/aRQaN7a

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does it make sense to wait for law review results before applying to QE and mass-mailing in July?

I didn't get the impression QE cared about journal. Offers were definitely going out prior to journal announcements. I also wouldn't wait because its an excuse to re-contact the firm and look interested. Hey I just wanted to update you, I am a BLUEBOOKING GENIUS who wants to work here so bad I'm keeping you up to speed on my mad bluebooking skills.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:02 pm

feralinfant wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does it make sense to wait for law review results before applying to QE and mass-mailing in July?

I didn't get the impression QE cared about journal. Offers were definitely going out prior to journal announcements. I also wouldn't wait because its an excuse to re-contact the firm and look interested. Hey I just wanted to update you, I am a BLUEBOOKING GENIUS who wants to work here so bad I'm keeping you up to speed on my mad bluebooking skills.

If QE is doing oci do not send them your resume in advance as that would both be a faux pas and violate school policy (maybe NALP also?). If the school found out I am pretty sure they won't let you interview with them at oci (multiple of these violations could lead to no oci for you at all. These rule recitations are from memory, read guidelines/talk to your CSO to be sure). Someone figure out for certain if QE is doing oci or not before sending them anything.

feralinfant

Postby feralinfant » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:35 pm

Sorry, missed that QE may be returning to OCI. def. don't mail anyone who is coming to OCI.

But I stand by not waiting for journal results before mailing anyone who you are sure is NOT coming to OCI.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:02 am

feralinfant wrote:Sorry, missed that QE may be returning to OCI. def. don't mail anyone who is coming to OCI.

But I stand by not waiting for journal results before mailing anyone who you are sure is NOT coming to OCI.

Yeah fa sho

Dr. Filth

Postby Dr. Filth » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just to emphasize the NYC/Mass mail message. I thought i had strong midwest narrative. 3.7 LR

http://imgur.com/aRQaN7a

I had similar but even worse results in Chicago. I stupidly told everyone all I wanted was lit. NYC and my secondary market was much friendlier though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:57 pm

Micdiddy wrote:If QE is doing oci do not send them your resume in advance as that would both be a faux pas and violate school policy (maybe NALP also?). If the school found out I am pretty sure they won't let you interview with them at oci (multiple of these violations could lead to no oci for you at all. These rule recitations are from memory, read guidelines/talk to your CSO to be sure). Someone figure out for certain if QE is doing oci or not before sending them anything.

This is incorrect in so far as there are plenty of students who interview with firms who come to OCI before OCI begins. You're 100% allowed to interview with the 1L SA firms you interviewed with that have extended early CBs to you without any fear of breaking NALP rules (there are none on point) or pissing off CSO (they have their own interests to protect but generally you have to be egregious to get "banned" from OCI). This often requires sending them your updated resume again and saying, "pls hire me." Furthermore, firms will often times just hand out interviews to you early -- Sidley Austin Chicago did this last year for the students who were in their "summer mentorship" program and a couple of NYC firms just gave me straight CBs. So while it may seem weird to e-mail firms who are definitely coming to OCI that you can definitely bid on just know that if an opportunity does arise don't feel like you shouldn't take it.

Perhaps we should wait for someone who massmailed to comment here? It seems late to start massmailing sometime after ~July 27th after bid results come out.

Micdiddy

Postby Micdiddy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Micdiddy wrote:If QE is doing oci do not send them your resume in advance as that would both be a faux pas and violate school policy (maybe NALP also?). If the school found out I am pretty sure they won't let you interview with them at oci (multiple of these violations could lead to no oci for you at all. These rule recitations are from memory, read guidelines/talk to your CSO to be sure). Someone figure out for certain if QE is doing oci or not before sending them anything.

This is incorrect in so far as there are plenty of students who interview with firms who come to OCI before OCI begins. You're 100% allowed to interview with the 1L SA firms you interviewed with that have extended early CBs to you without any fear of breaking NALP rules (there are none on point) or pissing off CSO (they have their own interests to protect but generally you have to be egregious to get "banned" from OCI). This often requires sending them your updated resume again and saying, "pls hire me." Furthermore, firms will often times just hand out interviews to you early -- Sidley Austin Chicago did this last year for the students who were in their "summer mentorship" program and a couple of NYC firms just gave me straight CBs. So while it may seem weird to e-mail firms who are definitely coming to OCI that you can definitely bid on just know that if an opportunity does arise don't feel like you shouldn't take it.

Perhaps we should wait for someone who massmailed to comment here? It seems late to start massmailing sometime after ~July 27th after bid results come out.

I'm sorry, do either of your examples contradict anything I said?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I know I have read a few times that NU students shouldn't try to interview with firms that have strong relationships with NU (i.e. Kirkland and Sidley) through diversity fairs and initiatives because that is outside of the receptive context of the firm's relationship with NU. Would this hold true for the Sidley mentorship program as well?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:47 am

So they told us employers were up but I'm not seeing anything on simplicity...am I missing something?

Also, when will they give us the median GPA information for firms? Is that along with the list of employers?

Return to “Legal Employment”