Northwestern OCI 2015

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
BaberhamLincoln
Posts: 2973
Joined: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby BaberhamLincoln » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:46 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:it doesnt matter if you think its constructive or not, its not constructive or beneficial. for experiment purposes, lets just not do it this year and see what happens. if people start posting information, i encourage others to post false information.


I don't get this sentiment

There's plenty of threads on TLS that are pointless, not constructive or beneficial to anyone. Just people posting random shit.

Why does it matter? Johann must I say the obvious? You've graduated, why do you care? Let people do their thing

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:47 pm

I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:56 pm

well maybe we think its actively destructively. the name of the game is remaining calm, cool, and collected throughout this process. the more you focus your energy on this board and the other people in this thread, you are detracting from your own efforts. its like a neuroticism contagion, and it probably takes being on the other side of the table to realize how destructive these threads are. the people that should be the ones staying off the boards are usually the most invested, which is why its detrimental. im done though. that's my two cents. good luck everyone you're gonna be fine. trust your skills and yourself.

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby moneyball026 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:57 pm

But what about resume paper?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:11 am

none today for me

ghostoftraynor
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:43 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby ghostoftraynor » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:41 am

In other news, practice your interview responses with friends and be confident in yourself. This is all a confidence game. You guys can do it. Some people will ding you for resume paper. Some people will ding your for ttt paper. Some people will ding you because they don't like your hair style. This is a bullshit process and you can't win them all. Just put on your best face and someone will.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Fitz51 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:09 am

JohannDeMann wrote:well maybe we think its actively destructively. the name of the game is remaining calm, cool, and collected throughout this process. the more you focus your energy on this board and the other people in this thread, you are detracting from your own efforts. its like a neuroticism contagion, and it probably takes being on the other side of the table to realize how destructive these threads are. the people that should be the ones staying off the boards are usually the most invested, which is why its detrimental. im done though. that's my two cents. good luck everyone you're gonna be fine. trust your skills and yourself.


This is dumb. People are gonna people and if they are dumb enough to get sucked into TLS bs during OCI then screw them. I found the thread last year to be super valuable in terms of knowing when CBs went out for certain firms, what to expect for others, etc. Will some people who are doing well use the forum to "brag" about how they're doing? I guess. That doesn't defeat the informational purpose of people sharing what they are hearing out there and what moves firms are making.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Fitz51 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:12 am

moneyball026 wrote:But what about resume paper?


Image

Anything else is TTT.

User avatar
cookiejar1
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:07 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby cookiejar1 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:44 am

Fitz51 wrote:
moneyball026 wrote:But what about resume paper?


Image

Anything else is TTT.


DAMN BRO BUT WHAT ABOUT IVORY PAPER

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:25 pm

the people at the will mcdermott and emery hospitality suite are so standoffish... shouldn't a firm be putting its best foot forward for these types of things?

also, anyone know a general timeline of when firms get back to us? I vaguely remember hearing that new york is the quickest and LA is the slowest?

snapdragon25
Posts: 370
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:43 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby snapdragon25 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:the people at the will mcdermott and emery hospitality suite are so standoffish... shouldn't a firm be putting its best foot forward for these types of things?

also, anyone know a general timeline of when firms get back to us? I vaguely remember hearing that new york is the quickest and LA is the slowest?


...Maybe because you called the firm "Will McDermott & Emery"

JK, that's strange though.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:34 pm

snapdragon25 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:the people at the will mcdermott and emery hospitality suite are so standoffish... shouldn't a firm be putting its best foot forward for these types of things?

also, anyone know a general timeline of when firms get back to us? I vaguely remember hearing that new york is the quickest and LA is the slowest?


...Maybe because you called the firm "Will McDermott & Emery"

JK, that's strange though.


lololol typing from my phone so that was an unintentional typo haha i really hope I didn't say that in person :?

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:04 pm

FWIW, my experience is that the hot zone for callback calls is 1-3 days after your screener. It's pretty uncommon to get a same-day call (anecdotally, NYC firms), and it's pretty uncommon to get a call later than that (anecdotally, I got one more than a month after my screener!), so don't sweat if you haven't heard yet. Just keep on grinding. Ain't nothin' you can do for the screeners you've already done.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14423
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:07 pm

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
lemons
Posts: 320
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:59 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby lemons » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.


Yea why would you listen to people who have been threw this before?

Also it outs you.


i really wanted to use the anon feature to mock "threw" but decided against it :mrgreen:

User avatar
JohannDeMann
Posts: 13831
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.


Yea why would you listen to people who have been threw this before?

Also it outs you.


yeah our recruiters are religiously checking the site during these times. its not that hard to determine who is posting when you just called someone back and voila the information is on a message board. not a good look to be participating in something like this that they can tie back to the call back.

partner "who is that callback with?"
recruiter " the person that spilled it on the internet message board"

not someone you want to trust in a highly confidential field.

User avatar
Desert Fox
Progressively loosing literacy
Posts: 14423
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:34 pm

DFTHREAD

Postby Desert Fox » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:56 pm

Image
Last edited by Desert Fox on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bananasplit19
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby bananasplit19 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:02 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
lemons wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.


Yea why would you listen to people who have been threw this before?

Also it outs you.


i really wanted to use the anon feature to mock "threw" but decided against it :mrgreen:


not flame, when i interviewed at K&E the guy circled two typos on my resume.

Notably, high quality paper, whether it be for business cards or resumes, can cause even the most discerning critic to overlook typos. See, e.g., American Psycho:

Image

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:22 pm

so i probably should have figured this out pre-OCI, but if there is a firm we weren't able to get a screener with, is it appropriate to email its recruiting person and ask if they could schedule me in? Is this a type of mass-mailing? And what materials (if any) would we include in this email?

User avatar
Cobretti
Posts: 2560
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:45 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Cobretti » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:50 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.


Yea why would you listen to people who have been threw this before?

Also it outs you.


yeah our recruiters are religiously checking the site during these times. its not that hard to determine who is posting when you just called someone back and voila the information is on a message board. not a good look to be participating in something like this that they can tie back to the call back.

partner "who is that callback with?"
recruiter " the person that spilled it on the internet message board"

not someone you want to trust in a highly confidential field.

So you're assuming that these recruiters are giving out 1cb a day? How else would it out you? And how is saying you got a callback any indication that you can't hold onto privileged information? I've never heard of a recruiter saying the fact that they were giving out a callback was at all privileged.

Despite everything you've said the last few pages all you're doing with this flame is adding to the neuroses.

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby moneyball026 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Cobretti wrote: Despite everything you've said the last few pages all you're doing with this flame is adding to the neuroses.

100%

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:so i probably should have figured this out pre-OCI, but if there is a firm we weren't able to get a screener with, is it appropriate to email its recruiting person and ask if they could schedule me in? Is this a type of mass-mailing? And what materials (if any) would we include in this email?


i've heard of some people emailing the interviewers directly and asking if they could fit them in during breaks but i'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to do that...

User avatar
Micdiddy
Posts: 2190
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:38 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Micdiddy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Cobretti wrote:
JohannDeMann wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm not comfortable with 3Ls+ telling rising 2Ls how to feel on this. I can see the pros and cons, but that's not right.


Yea why would you listen to people who have been threw this before?

Also it outs you.


yeah our recruiters are religiously checking the site during these times. its not that hard to determine who is posting when you just called someone back and voila the information is on a message board. not a good look to be participating in something like this that they can tie back to the call back.

partner "who is that callback with?"
recruiter " the person that spilled it on the internet message board"

not someone you want to trust in a highly confidential field.

So you're assuming that these recruiters are giving out 1cb a day? How else would it out you? And how is saying you got a callback any indication that you can't hold onto privileged information? I've never heard of a recruiter saying the fact that they were giving out a callback was at all privileged.

Despite everything you've said the last few pages all you're doing with this flame is adding to the neuroses.


Also lots of people who out callbacks on TLS didn't actually receive it themselves. The spectrum of people who post on TLS is very small compared to total students. I certainly posted Cb info last year anonymously from firms I never even applied to just because A: I knew Cbs had gone out and B: no one else had posted it yet.

Ultimately this discussion is pointless because it is up for whoever wants to post to decide.

Fitz51
Posts: 128
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:53 pm

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Fitz51 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:so i probably should have figured this out pre-OCI, but if there is a firm we weren't able to get a screener with, is it appropriate to email its recruiting person and ask if they could schedule me in? Is this a type of mass-mailing? And what materials (if any) would we include in this email?


i've heard of some people emailing the interviewers directly and asking if they could fit them in during breaks but i'm pretty sure we aren't supposed to do that...


If you're gonna do that, just stalk outside the room door and catch an interviewer on a break with your updated resume.

Otherwise, you should have already emailed every firm you wanted to interview with but didn't get a screener for whatever reason.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273387
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:52 pm

White & Case CB (NYC). Let the games begin!




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.