Northwestern OCI 2015 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SA2014

New

Re: Northwestern OCI 2015

Post by SA2014 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got an email about law review sponsors, asking us to consider bidding for them. i wasn't planning on bidding on any of the three mentioned (mayer brown, Debevoise, or gibson dunn) because my gpa (3.15) is way lower than the minimum on the callback data sheet. do you think it would be worthwhile to bid on them anyways? is there a special bump because they are our sponsors?
LR is a bump, but you have a very unique situation and I don't know if anyone is really going to be able to tell you what to do. There just aren't many data points with your GPA + LR. My gut tells me you should probably just bid like you are at median, but that's not based on anything substantive.
Bid like you are 3.15. No way are you getting a .25 GPA bump for writing onto law review.
Last edited by SA2014 on Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 pm

At a lot of firms, most corporate hires from NU seem to have an MBA or at least a finance degree w/ biz WE. Is litigation the safer sell at these firms for those at/under median with no substantive corporate background? Or, given summer rotations, does it not really matter what you pitch?

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:At a lot of firms, most corporate hires from NU seem to have an MBA or at least a finance degree w/ biz WE. Is litigation the safer sell at these firms for those at/under median with no substantive corporate background? Or, given summer rotations, does it not really matter what you pitch?
I disagree that most corporate hires have an MBA or finance background for corporate work. Only about 1/2 of us will end up doing lit, the other 1/2 corporate, and certainly less than 1/2 have that kind of background. If anything I'd say lit, in general, is more competitive, though I imagine at a top flight corporate firm that might not be the case.

I think some of this depends on risk tolerance. In your shoes, I'd probably figure out what practice group is bigger for the firm/more likely to need summers, and try to sell that hard at OCI/call backs. You can always switch as a summer at most firms.

onionz

Bronze

Post by onionz » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:11 pm

SA2014 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Cobretti wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:just got an email about law review sponsors, asking us to consider bidding for them. i wasn't planning on bidding on any of the three mentioned (mayer brown, Debevoise, or gibson dunn) because my gpa (3.15) is way lower than the minimum on the callback data sheet. do you think it would be worthwhile to bid on them anyways? is there a special bump because they are our sponsors?
LR is a bump, but you have a very unique situation and I don't know if anyone is really going to be able to tell you what to do. There just aren't many data points with your GPA + LR. My gut tells me you should probably just bid like you are at median, but that's not based on anything substantive.
Bid like you are 3.15. No way are you getting a .25 GPA bump for writing onto law review.
Totally agree. If anything, the contrast will put more emphasis on your sub-median GPA, which will sink you with most firms, no matter how unselective. Better to hear the bad news now rather than get burned on false hopes.
You should also be mass-mailing. Everyone should be mass mailing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:19 pm

SA2014 wrote: Totally agree. If anything, the contrast will put more emphasis on your sub-median GPA, which will sink you with most firms, no matter how unselective. Better to hear the bad news now rather than get burned on false hopes.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

moneyball026

Bronze

Post by moneyball026 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SA2014 wrote: Totally agree. If anything, the contrast will put more emphasis on your sub-median GPA, which will sink you with most firms, no matter how unselective. Better to hear the bad news now rather than get burned on false hopes.

if this person was actually a summer associate in 2014, that means they are class of 2015, so i am going to go with "being a dick"

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:53 pm

onionz wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:At a lot of firms, most corporate hires from NU seem to have an MBA or at least a finance degree w/ biz WE. Is litigation the safer sell at these firms for those at/under median with no substantive corporate background? Or, given summer rotations, does it not really matter what you pitch?
I disagree that most corporate hires have an MBA or finance background for corporate work. Only about 1/2 of us will end up doing lit, the other 1/2 corporate, and certainly less than 1/2 have that kind of background. If anything I'd say lit, in general, is more competitive, though I imagine at a top flight corporate firm that might not be the case.

I think some of this depends on risk tolerance. In your shoes, I'd probably figure out what practice group is bigger for the firm/more likely to need summers, and try to sell that hard at OCI/call backs. You can always switch as a summer at most firms.
+1, the degrees/experience you are talking about are a small minority of people, certainly not even close to most. The vast majority of people going into corporate don't have business backgrounds and its assumed you don't know anything relevant by the firms. And like onionz said, if anything litigation is harder to get.

franklyscarlet

Gold

Post by franklyscarlet » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:34 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
if this person was actually a summer associate in 2014, that means they are class of 2015, so i am going to go with "being a dick"
#notall2015ers

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:45 pm

Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:01 pm

meh
Last edited by BaberhamLincoln on Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:07 pm

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:09 pm

Please DF I didn't mean it that way and you know it

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Considering not doing OCI bc PLIP seems to be going really well...

Objections? I expect many
as someone who would like to grab up as many OCI interview spots as possible, I say go ahead and inform-a-brag and drop OCI while you're at it. (But actually though if you have offers you that are interested in taking, I don't think there's much advantage of killing yourself at OCI too)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

R1chardParker

New

Post by R1chardParker » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:14 pm

BaberhamLincoln wrote:Considering not doing OCI bc PLIP seems to be going really well...

Objections? I expect many
Don't even consider this unless you already have an offer that you would be happy accepting.

Desert Fox

Diamond

DFTHREAD

Post by Desert Fox » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:14 pm

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:21 pm

I'm not bragging ffs

I come here for advice and i use and read this whole cb thing as helpful. But like I said in the PLIP thread, I have no issue keeping it to myself

It's no different than reporting when you hear from schools in the on topics

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:32 pm

That said, mum's the word

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:48 pm

Honestly, I would rather have people share. Even if we're below median, it just gives more insight to where and how the class is doing.

Foghornleghorn

Bronze

Post by Foghornleghorn » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I would rather have people share. Even if we're below median, it just gives more insight to where and how the class is doing.
THE SPERGS HAVE ACOLYTES

Cobretti

Gold

Post by Cobretti » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:Honestly, I would rather have people share. Even if we're below median, it just gives more insight to where and how the class is doing.
its also literally the entire point of this thread

if you think you'd like to know when other people anonymously post that they got callbacks at firms you screened at, you should probably anonymously post the same information like people have for years. if not, that's on you, but that's what this thread is here for so don't cry about it either way.

BaberhamLincoln

Gold

Post by BaberhamLincoln » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:53 am

Foghornleghorn wrote:
THE SPERGS HAVE ACOLYTES
Ignorant.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:56 am

fox 1 and fox 2 - yall should just post anonymous in here lots of misleading info to just fuck it all

cookiejar1

Silver

Post by cookiejar1 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:20 am

I rather get closure here on TLS by reading anonymous posts than through talking with my classmates.

Yeah, it's a bragging mechanism and it encourages a heightened level of neuroticism but this is the INTERNET why are we trying to shield anyone? Talking about how many offers you have makes no sense as that data isn't necessarily relevant to anyone else but letting others know that CBs have gone out and Offers have been made may be helpful for closure purposes. On balance, it's probably more damaging than it is helpful but some people treasure this kind of information. TLS is a hive for this kind of neurotic behavior just look at the law school applications threads. So let them poast, DF.

Serett

Post by Serett » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:24 pm

NAY, we must protect the petite, fragile flowers that are adult T14 students.

lhanvt13

Gold

Post by lhanvt13 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:43 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BaberhamLincoln wrote:Please DF I didn't mean it that way and you know it
I'm not just ragging on you. The whole culture of "go to TLS and autstically write down the CBs you are receiving" is toxic.
Cb and offer from Quinn. Had an interview with 5 managing partners. I got to do a secret screener for top students. Tough interview but I did okay. John (we're on a first name basis now) personally delivered the offer yesterday to my doorstep. Not bragging. Just for information sharing. Hope OCI is fun I think I'll be sitting out!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”