Garbage GPA at T14: bail on OCI?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Garbage GPA at T14: bail on OCI?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:24 pm

3.15 at lower T14. Well below median.

No debt (full ride, lol), but also no marketable skills, so dropping out isn't an option.

Impressive but irrelevant resume. I'm also a tall, handsome bro who dresses well.

Is it better to skip OCI and chase PI (strong PI cred)? Or should I grind it out and try to get something first?

With BL, only interested in transactional. Strong NYC ties.

UpandDown97

Re: Garbage GPA at T14: bail on OCI?

Postby UpandDown97 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:3.15 at lower T14. Well below median.

No debt (full ride, lol), but also no marketable skills, so dropping out isn't an option.

Impressive but irrelevant resume. I'm also a tall, handsome bro who dresses well.

Is it better to skip OCI and chase PI (strong PI cred)? Or should I grind it out and try to get something first?

There's absolutely no reason for you to skip. Often, grades are a secondary concern.

A few lines lead me to believe this may be a flame.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:25 am

OP here. Not flame. I'm the Ryan Leaf of law school.

Reason to skip would to avoid unnecessary humiliation. 1L was embarrassing enough, and pivoting to PI is possible. But I need a job.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:08 am

Why would you be humiliated? No one gives a fuck. Pretend like you dgaf either, tell everyone PI is your top choice but CPP was like "you gotta OCI bro" so you're doing it for a laugh.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:45 am

If your primary concern applying for jobs is that you'll feel humiliated if you are rejected then your psychological issues are much more of a red flag than your grades. PI wouldn't necessarily be substantially easier, and I can say from personal experience that at many firms grades are only 1 of several factors.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:20 am

OP here. Probably something to the psych issues charge, but embarrassment about low grades is real, especially when your future is at stake.

It's good to hear that grades are only one factor, but I wonder if being well below median changes distorts the calculation.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Probably something to the psych issues charge, but embarrassment about low grades is real, especially when your future is at stake.

It's good to hear that grades are only one factor, but I wonder if being well below median changes distorts the calculation.

Do OCI. You'll probably get an offer somewhere in NYC transactional if you have WE and present yourself well.

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:52 am

While saying "GPA is often a secondary concern" is a bit much, your GPA is bad but it isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. There are definitely big firms in NYC that will dip to a 3.15 at a "lower" top 14. You basically just need to bid wisely and do your school's interview prep so that you can ensure that the only negative thing an interviewer has to say about you is your academic record. With the economy improving and firms seemingly hiring more than a few years back I think you will probably get a NYC firm job if you want it/work hard enough for it. Also if it's really true that you're as attractive as you say you are, and although you may be saying it in jest, that actually will help you a decent bit

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 am

OP: Don't reject yourself. Interview & see what develops. Confidence is important during interviews. Take pride in your T-14 pedigree. Good luck.

BizBro

Postby BizBro » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:27 am

Why would you skip out on OCI. It would defeat the purpose of going to law school in the first place (which is to get employed). Like others said, you can still gun for PI or just brush off your OCI rejections saying you were interested in PI.

I'm at 3.1 at CCN (so i know what embarrassing grades feel like). Just bid larger summer classes in NYC that are not as grade selective.

J9ofDiamonds

Postby J9ofDiamonds » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:19 am

jbagelboy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Probably something to the psych issues charge, but embarrassment about low grades is real, especially when your future is at stake.

Do OCI. You'll probably get an offer somewhere in NYC transactional if you have WE and present yourself well.

this. Also, objectively good looking people don't really strike out ime

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:28 pm

OP here. First, BW is a mensch. Second, the rest of you who contributed are ok too. Thanks y'all.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:35 pm

Why do you think you will have fewer rejections from PI? Sure, an unpaid 2L internship somewhere will be easy to get, but when you're applying for the few real, full time PI jobs as a 3L you will have a rejection rate that is way higher than what you would have as someone with a 3.1 at OCI.

rpupkin

Postby rpupkin » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:45 pm

If someone said to me "picture a transactional associate at a random NYC V100 law office," what comes to mind is a good-looking bro from UVA/Penn/Duke/Cornell with below-median grades. Not joking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why do you think you will have fewer rejections from PI? Sure, an unpaid 2L internship somewhere will be easy to get, but when you're applying for the few real, full time PI jobs as a 3L you will have a rejection rate that is way higher than what you would have as someone with a 3.1 at OCI.

Because I'm bonafide, with an IRL resume & experience. Real life cred and accomplishments—not generic undergraduate 'human rights' nonsense.

gaddockteeg

Postby gaddockteeg » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Dude you're fine. I'm assuming your T14 is lottery, which means youre guaranteed at least a few interviews. As long as you aren't weird you'll have a shot. I know people literally bottom third at t14 who got nlj250.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:47 pm

Why would you have to skip OCI to pivot to PI?

All the PI interviews you could possibly do happen at the exact same time as OCI interviews?

I guess I'm just not understanding why it has to be one or the other in your case.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:23 pm

I was around the bottom quarter at CCN and struck out. It happens. I'm not handsome, though.

I still think you should go to OCI. Do your best. Just realize that strikeouts happen and your grades make it more likely. Use it as motivation to network and prep in general.

gaddockteeg

Postby gaddockteeg » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:34 am

rpupkin wrote:

If someone said to me "picture a transactional associate at a random NYC V100 law office," what comes to mind is a good-looking bro from UVA/Penn/Duke/Cornell with below-median grades. Not joking.

This is pretty funny. I just did the same mental exercise and pictured the same.

Thrive

Postby Thrive » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 am

So when do us guys start posting pics for the ladies to decide whether we pass the handsome test or not?

stego

Postby stego » Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:00 pm

This part confuses me. How do you have an impressive resume and no marketable skills?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:19 pm

[quote]This part confuses me. How do you have an impressive resume and no marketable skills?/[quote]

OP here: the arts/SJW stuff.

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This part confuses me. How do you have an impressive resume and no marketable skills?/

OP here: the arts/SJW stuff.

Because I'm bonafide, with an IRL resume & experience. Real life cred and accomplishments—not generic undergraduate 'human rights' nonsense.

This doesn't make sense.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:56 pm

What doesn't make sense—that not all accomplishments and experiences are valued by corporate employers?

To clarify, I had two jobs before LS: one in a niche SJW area (not diverse), and the other in a barely corporate visual arts/media capacity (where I executed lots of transactions). Former is easy to find a low-paying job in because I have substantial experience, which is rare. Latter is more difficult b/c my SJW experience doesn't play well at BL, and the firms that value media work often have high GPA thresholds.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri May 20, 2016 1:17 pm

BizBro wrote:Why would you skip out on OCI. It would defeat the purpose of going to law school in the first place (which is to get employed). Like others said, you can still gun for PI or just brush off your OCI rejections saying you were interested in PI.

I'm at 3.1 at CCN (so i know what embarrassing grades feel like). Just bid larger summer classes in NYC that are not as grade selective.

what are some of the larger summer class firms in NYC that are not as grade selective?

Return to “Legal Employment”