Explaining why transactional work

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
WW25

Explaining why transactional work

Postby WW25 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:00 pm

I am working at a DA's office this summer but as I've done more research on practice areas and firms for OCI I am beginning to think that I may be more interested in transactional work. So my question is, is it going to look totally strange if I try to explain in an interview that I want to do transactional work while my 1L job was totally the opposite? Is there a good way to do this? Or am I better off just sticking with litigation at this point since it relates to what I am doing this summer?

Anonymous User

Re: Explaining why transactional work

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:09 pm

It makes no difference. You don't need to have a good speech for why transactional because a tiny minority of interviewees have any experience that would let them know what transactional work is like. You should try to get a job doing what you want to do. Your answer needs to be just good enough so its clear you properly prepared for your interviews.

WW25

Postby WW25 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It makes no difference. You don't need to have a good speech for why transactional because a tiny minority of interviewees have any experience that would let them know what transactional work is like. You should try to get a job doing what you want to do. Your answer needs to be just good enough so its clear you properly prepared for your interviews.

Thanks for the response. Do you think its fine to say that you enjoy both and while leaning transactional would also would be open to litigation as well? Theres seems to be some conflicting options about the importance of decisiveness when answering the litigation vs. transactional question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:30 pm

I would make a joke about how law school teaches you nothing so you aren't positive, but then say that you've talked to a bunch of transactionall attorneys about their jobs and think that's what you're better suited for.

That way you don't come across as silly and thinking you know shit that you really don't, but it also shows that you've thought critically about your career and it's direction.

That was my strategy during OCI and it worked. Ended up in a corporate at a V5. Others may have other suggestions.

As is the case with any interview question, be personal and relatable and have a narrative that leads the interviewer that you are serious about your career and the job.

wons

Postby wons » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 am

WW25 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It makes no difference. You don't need to have a good speech for why transactional because a tiny minority of interviewees have any experience that would let them know what transactional work is like. You should try to get a job doing what you want to do. Your answer needs to be just good enough so its clear you properly prepared for your interviews.

Thanks for the response. Do you think its fine to say that you enjoy both and while leaning transactional would also would be open to litigation as well? Theres seems to be some conflicting options about the importance of decisiveness when answering the litigation vs. transactional question.

IMO, it's pretty much fine to say anything that isn't manifestly offensive, has some sort of internal logic, and shows you prepped for the question.

It's kind of a trick question - no one expects a meaningful answer, but it's a test to see if you prepared for one of the 5 most likely questions to be asked.

Return to “Legal Employment”