Deleted Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deleted

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm

[Deleted]
Last edited by Anonymous User on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Re: Expected to generate business as SA?

Post by ClubberLang » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:32 pm

Whole thing sounds sketchy, you should keep looking. Do you want to work at the type of firm that has clients lured by SA's?

crit_racer

Silver

Post by crit_racer » Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah this is really weird. Youre not even a lawyer yet, and they want you to bring in business? I'm not a 100% sure, but I think that might be illegal to be honest. I would not go there if you have ANY other option.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 pm

It mostly like violates the state bar rules of professional conduct. A non-lawyer cannot hold themselves out to be a lawyer. It'd be OK if you were part of a firm's business development team and doing bus dev for the firm in general. But trying to generate business yourself will lead to trouble as potential clients may think you are a barred attorney and are offering your legal services to them.

Bottom line, you try this and you can open yourself up to civil liability under state consumer fraud laws, as well as being blacklisted by the state bar.

lawschoolftw

Bronze

Post by lawschoolftw » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all,

I'm a 2L summer at a small firm (struck out at OCI and took this second semester in desperation), and one of the managing partners at my firm has made several comments about me generating business for the firm. My salary is even tied to this. I am paid a (very low) daily rate, with the option of taking a portion of any business I generate. Is this normal? If so, how have others done it? The partner has made comments to the effect that my best chance of getting an offer is to generate enough business to pay for my position. Should I be trying to reach out to other firms for post grad employment, or is this the usual deal? I'm nervous about my ability to generate business right out of law school while also learning how to be a lawyer. Quick stats for background: above median at a T25 but not top third, secondary journal exec board, hardly any debt.
Yeah this isn't normal at all. Start looking for new post-law school employment.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”