Looking to Lateral -- Contact Alum in Practice Group?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Looking to Lateral -- Contact Alum in Practice Group?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:59 am

I graduated from a big state school (both undergrad and law school) and am looking to lateral to any of the bigger firms in the biggest legal market in the state.

A job posting just opened up and I meet all the requirements in terms of grades, experience, etc. and the practice group is very appealing to me.

I'm going to get my application ready this weekend, but I was wondering whether it would be beneficial to contact alums (UG or law school) before or after I send in an application.

My rational brain is telling me to just send in my application and, if I get an interview, to then contact alums (if at all). My over-anxious brain is telling me to reach out to show my interest in the firm and try to make a connection with a senior associate.

So, calm down and just apply, or reach out to alumni in the practice group?

Return to “Legal Employment”