How shitty is my salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LA Spring

Re: How shitty is my salary?

Postby LA Spring » Sun Jun 07, 2015 1:44 am

It’s really about the hours. I know of someone who turned down six figures for a 9A-5P job. If you are working 50 hours, then 120 is at the lower end.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:51 am

AreJay711 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
If we're being precise, it's more around ~200k according to the below. But I'm skeptical, honestly, of the website. I compared with my secondary hometown and NYC and think that the website greatly underestimates how much you need to live in NYC at a sort of similar level (at least housing wise).

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

I think those sites overestimate how expensive NYC is. Like, sure, you're not getting a 2000 square foot apartment, but no one does. People just live in smaller spaces -- they don't spend (that much) more money.

Yeah, you do. A one bedroom apartment is like 2-3k more expensive in NYC than back home, for example. Actually, a one bedroom apartment in NYC is more expensive than a mortgage on a house back home.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:42 am

krads153 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
If we're being precise, it's more around ~200k according to the below. But I'm skeptical, honestly, of the website. I compared with my secondary hometown and NYC and think that the website greatly underestimates how much you need to live in NYC at a sort of similar level (at least housing wise).

I think those sites overestimate how expensive NYC is. Like, sure, you're not getting a 2000 square foot apartment, but no one does. People just live in smaller spaces -- they don't spend (that much) more money.

Yeah, you do. A one bedroom apartment is like 2-3k more expensive in NYC than back home, for example. Actually, a one bedroom apartment in NYC is more expensive than a mortgage on a house back home.

My point is that you probably wouldn't be living in a one bedroom apartment in, for example, Houston. In NYC you have a roommate while in Houston you have a 2 bedroom apartment to your self and a shiny new SUV in the parking lot. So you end up spending the same amount of money.

ETA: So we don't disagree, really. The possibility of buying though is a real difference.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 11:44 am

AreJay711 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

My point is that you probably wouldn't be living in a one bedroom apartment in, for example, Houston. In NYC you have a roommate while in Houston you have a 2 bedroom apartment to your self and a shiny new SUV in the parking lot. So you end up spending the same amount of money.

Pretty sure a 2 story house in Houston/name random city in flyover is still cheaper than a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. Probably cheaper even with car payments.

I can probably buy a 2 story house back home with a mortgage less than 2k a month....can't even get a studio apt in NYC for less than 2k a month unless you're okay living in the Bronx or some other shithole. And a car is still relatively cheap, especially given how expensive public transportation is. I used to fill up my car twice a month (total was 40 bucks a month on gas) cause I drove a small car that was gas efficient.

Return to “Legal Employment”