How shitty is my salary?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
SFB222

How shitty is my salary?

Postby SFB222 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:21 pm

I'm 3 years out at a mid-sized firm in secondary market in slightly above COL area. I make $96k

JohannDeMann

Re: How shitty is my salary?

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:22 pm

Fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:27 pm

Piss off, I make roughly half of your salary and I'm on track to bill 1,800 hours this year.

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:32 pm

Sorry, just got a little depressed tonight after realizing that a few of my little sister's friends who are a few years out of college were making almost as much as me, in really random jobs (and no loans). Ugh.

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:37 pm

SFB222 wrote:Sorry, just got a little depressed tonight after realizing that a few of my little sister's friends who are a few years out of college were making almost as much as me, in really random jobs (and no loans). Ugh.

Oh yeah it's fine for law. Shitty for the real world for someone 6 years removed undergrad that was smart.

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:40 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:
SFB222 wrote:Sorry, just got a little depressed tonight after realizing that a few of my little sister's friends who are a few years out of college were making almost as much as me, in really random jobs (and no loans). Ugh.

Oh yeah it's fine for law. Shitty for the real world for someone 6 years removed undergrad that was smart.

and i went to an ivy undergrad (slaps forehead)

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:53 pm

sack up. you're fine.

lukertin

Postby lukertin » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:57 pm

Depends how many hours you work each week.

if reliably 40hrs/week, you are great.

if 50/week, it's ok

if 60+/week, kinda shitty

if 80/week, really shitty

gaddockteeg

Postby gaddockteeg » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:13 am

lukertin wrote:Depends how many hours you work each week.

if reliably 40hrs/week, you are great.

if 50/week, it's ok

if 60+/week, kinda shitty

if 80/week, really shitty

Lmao. this.

not to add to your unhappiness but my little cousin is a rising senior in college at a decent but not top private college majoring in computer science with a 3.2 gpa (I edited his resume). his internship this summer in SV (FB, apple, goog) has him making the equivalent of 100k/yr + 3k/mo (housing stipend).

my point: if you wanted to make money, law was/is not the answer. regardless, he's just as miserable becuase he hates CS lol. so don't feel TOO bad.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:06 am

Seems a little low to me. You could probably get more if your shopped the lateral market.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 am

Let's put this in perspective, folks. You probably make around twice the median household income in the city you live in. That's pretty amazing for someone in his or her 20s (or early 30s).

(Incidentally, I think you also make somewhat above the median lawyer salary, which also ain't bad given you're in a manageable COL area and are still early career.)

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:Let's put this in perspective, folks. You probably make around twice the median household income in the city you live in. That's pretty amazing for someone in his or her 20s (or early 30s).

(Incidentally, I think you also make somewhat above the median lawyer salary, which also ain't bad given you're in a manageable COL area and are still early career.)

Really helpful use of anon

JohannDeMann

Postby JohannDeMann » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Let's put this in perspective, folks. You probably make around twice the median household income in the city you live in. That's pretty amazing for someone in his or her 20s (or early 30s).

comparing yourself to the median person that is a college dropout or never attended is ridiculous.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:42 pm

No one in this thread is actually helping you figure out whether you are paid what you are worth, which is what you need to figure out. How is your firm doing? How specialized is your practice area? How valuable are you to them? Are you well-liked? Are you better than other associates in your firm? Are you seeing movement in your field, i.e. are people leaving your firm for other firms/is your firm hiring/are other firms in your field hiring? The last thing you should be doing is saying "oh well, could be worse, the median income for a family in my area is ___"

nothingtosee

Postby nothingtosee » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:21 pm

Shaggier1 wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/166211/worldwide-median-household-income-000.aspx

This shit is obnoxious and irrelevant. It's like when a person says " you think YOU'RE having a bad day? My car broke down while my boyfriend dumped me." It's completely unrelated to how the first person is doing.

If the person across the street from OP is making $10,000 for doing the same work than OP can't complain. If the person up 5 floors is doing the same work and making $120,000 then op's salary is shitty.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 pm

nothingtosee wrote:
Shaggier1 wrote:http://www.gallup.com/poll/166211/worldwide-median-household-income-000.aspx

This shit is obnoxious and irrelevant. It's like when a person says " you think YOU'RE having a bad day? My car broke down while my boyfriend dumped me." It's completely unrelated to how the first person is doing.

If the person across the street from OP is making $10,000 for doing the same work than OP can't complain. If the person up 5 floors is doing the same work and making $120,000 then op's salary is shitty.

Exactly. "Oh, your back hurts? BOO HOO, HERE'S A PICTURE OF A LEPER!"

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:37 pm

"My dad died so young, he was only 63"
"LIFE EXPECTANCY IN CHAD IS 49!"

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:02 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:No one in this thread is actually helping you figure out whether you are paid what you are worth, which is what you need to figure out. How is your firm doing? How specialized is your practice area? How valuable are you to them? Are you well-liked? Are you better than other associates in your firm? Are you seeing movement in your field, i.e. are people leaving your firm for other firms/is your firm hiring/are other firms in your field hiring? The last thing you should be doing is saying "oh well, could be worse, the median income for a family in my area is ___"

OP is not interested in finding out what they're objectively worth. They just want to complain that despite spending three years immersing themselves in the majesty of the law, they know people who make more.

abl

Postby abl » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:16 pm

JohannDeMann wrote:

comparing yourself to the median person that is a college dropout or never attended is ridiculous.

Ok: http://time.com/money/3829776/heres-what-the-average-grad-makes-right-out-of-college/
and: http://work.chron.com/average-starting-salary-law-school-students-7716.html

OP - if you want to know if you specifically are being paid fairly, post more details about you and your work. If you want to know if your salary is "shitty," the answer is it's not.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:47 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:

lol

As for OP's question, I think it's a little low, but depends on exactly what your COL is and imo, on how much debt you have too (although not directly relevant)

96k in like Minneapolis for example is probably worth 400k+ in NYC, as an example

trebekismyhero

Postby trebekismyhero » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:18 pm

krads153 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:

lol

As for OP's question, I think it's a little low, but depends on exactly what your COL is and imo, on how much debt you have too (although not directly relevant)

96k in like Minneapolis for example is probably worth 400k+ in NYC, as an example

96k in Minneapolis is more like 150k in NYC, but your general point is correct.

Can't know for sure about OP unless we know market and practice

krads153

Postby krads153 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:18 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
krads153 wrote:
blsingindisguise wrote:
nothingtosee wrote:

lol

96k in Minneapolis is more like 150k in NYC, but your general point is correct.

Can't know for sure about OP unless we know market and practice

If we're being precise, it's more around ~200k according to the below. But I'm skeptical, honestly, of the website. I compared with my secondary hometown and NYC and think that the website greatly underestimates how much you need to live in NYC at a sort of similar level (at least housing wise).

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

SFB222

Postby SFB222 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:45 pm

I've used Robert Half Legal. Is that legit? I do mostly employment/commercial litigation. Work my ass off 50 hours +

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:57 pm

krads153 wrote:
If we're being precise, it's more around ~200k according to the below. But I'm skeptical, honestly, of the website. I compared with my secondary hometown and NYC and think that the website greatly underestimates how much you need to live in NYC at a sort of similar level (at least housing wise).

http://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/cost-of-living/

I think those sites overestimate how expensive NYC is. Like, sure, you're not getting a 2000 square foot apartment, but no one does. People just live in smaller spaces -- they don't spend (that much) more money.

Return to “Legal Employment”