F1 wanting to go into immigration law, worth it?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Niko_21

Re: F1 wanting to go into immigration law, worth it?

Postby Niko_21 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:54 am

ace25 wrote:So I've been lurking this forum quite a bit to do some research on my situation just figured I would need more help.
Right now I have a student visa going into my third year of undergrad. I am on my parents h1b and had to switch to the f1 because I'm turning 21, but I have been in the States since I was 6 years old. I want to practice immigration law since thats what I'm passionate about and am starting to study for my lsats but the problem is that I'm don't know if I'll be able to find a firm after graduating that will sponsor an h1b or a green card. Even if I went to a t14, a biglaw firm would possibly sponsor me bit but biglaw doesn't necessarily exist in the immigration field.
So is all the time and money spent even worth it if I can't find work in the States?

Thank you

Same problem here. I've already been admitted to a law school, and I decided to study & practice immigration law in the future. Is it possible for a foreigner to get a job in immigration law practice area in the State?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:04 pm

Just out of curiosity without being sound completely imbecile, how do you guys just "use dating website to get married with citizens"?
-Well I am up for that idea, and I dont think there is nothing wrong with it, Im just clueless of how: is that just paying for match.com and make it straight that you are looking for a CITIZEN husband? I'm not sure it is the right way though. And more importantly, do you really let them know you are marryign for that?

- Just to be clear, I dont think I will encounter a lot of difficulties in marrying someone if I really work on it: I'm young, attractive, female. The problem is to get this issue straight to people. This is not a website for this line of question I guess. But for someone who encounter the same problems, pleeeeease do email me.

stronitsing

Postby stronitsing » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:28 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
BlueLotus wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'd rather be a stockboy at a grocery store than do immigration law. There is honor in the former.

And yes, I've done both.

What the hell is your problem with immigration law? You've repeatedly bashed it on these forums. I've volunteered doing U visas, SIJ, VAWA self-petitions and asylum and it's been the most rewarding work of my career. Clients are super grateful too.

OP, look up Fragomen Del Rey Bernsen and Loewy. There is such a thing as immigration Big Law. I don't think they start out at $160K, though.

Have you ever been to a immigration court hearing. The practitioners are unmitigated retards almost without exception.

Could you elaborate why it's not a good area to work in?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:00 pm

Not DF, but I think he might be referring to the fact that there are a lot of really bad/shady solo immigration practitioners who kind of rip off their clients by preying on their hopes of staying here legally. That's by no means all of them, there are lots of great ones too, I'm sure, but there are a lot of bad ones. The problem is that if you're doing private practice immigration law and you're not targeting rich immigrants, you often have to go for volume to make a living, and that can lead to a lot of cutting corners.

So I wouldn't say the field itself is bad, as much as I'd say you have to be really careful who you work for if you go into private immigration practice. (Pretty sure non-profits/legal aid stuff is different.)

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:01 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Not DF, but I think he might be referring to the fact that there are a lot of really bad/shady solo immigration practitioners who kind of rip off their clients by preying on their hopes of staying here legally. That's by no means all of them, there are lots of great ones too, I'm sure, but there are a lot of bad ones. The problem is that if you're doing private practice immigration law and you're not targeting rich immigrants, you often have to go for volume to make a living, and that can lead to a lot of cutting corners.

So I wouldn't say the field itself is bad, as much as I'd say you have to be really careful who you work for if you go into private immigration practice. (Pretty sure non-profits/legal aid stuff is different.)

Just because *some* immigration practitioners are shady doesn't mean that it's OK for DF to paint all practitioners as idiots. I have done pro bono immigration work with a handful of non-profits and every staff attorney I have worked with has been professional and competent.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:55 pm

Right. That's why I specified solo/private practitioners.

BlueLotus

Postby BlueLotus » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:59 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Right. That's why I specified solo/private practitioners.

DF painted ALL immigration practitioners as incompetent idiots, which includes gov't/public interest.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:22 pm

I came to the US a few years ago and married a US citizen before I applied to go to law school. If not for the marriage, I would not have gone. Fortunately, I did not have to do it just for the green card--I love my spouse; but if I hadn't met him, I would have married someone just for the immigration status. Sad but true.

I have a question though. You can tell from my resume that I'm an immigrant, so do you guys think it would make sense to mention my green card on m my resume? I have tough times getting interviews, and after reading this topic I started wondering maybe me being foreign has something to do with that. Thanks!

Niko_21

Postby Niko_21 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:35 pm

After a whole year, I come back and answer the question I had a year ago.

YES, IT WORKS.

Now I got a position as a paralegal(cuz I haven't passed the bar yet) in Seattle. The partner is so nice, she literally teaches me everything that I want to learn. If you really want to go into an area, go for it. Don't feel restrained by your status.

yay

Postby yay » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:42 am

Niko_21 wrote:After a whole year, I come back and answer the question I had a year ago.

YES, IT WORKS.

Now I got a position as a paralegal(cuz I haven't passed the bar yet) in Seattle. The partner is so nice, she literally teaches me everything that I want to learn. If you really want to go into an area, go for it. Don't feel restrained by your status.

R u being sponsored as a paralegal?

Return to “Legal Employment”