Moving from Intl biglaw back to America

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Moving from Intl biglaw back to America

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:03 pm

Just wondering if working in a Biglaw firm office internationally (say, HK) straight out of law school can be treated like a 2-3 year stint with an option back to an American office if needed, or if moving back to America would be particularly hard to do and I should expect a long-term international commitment.

Anonymous User

Re: Moving from Intl biglaw back to America

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:10 am

Pretty much everyone I've talked to about this issue says it's better to start off in NYC and then go over for a rotation. NYC offers you a much broader range of exposure, helps you build a network at the mothership, and provides some U.S. grounding in the event that you don't like HK / Asia and want to return to the States. I have some familiarity with HK so please let me know if you'd like to talk about this. I don't mind answering questions on the forum as long as it's not information that could potentially out me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:09 am

What about starting out in LA or SF?

Trying to avoid NYC because of the general stench of urine in the air.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 am

Skadden allows new attorneys to start in NYC and go to HK/Tokyo after 16 months here. Are there similar programs in other top firms?

permapress

Postby permapress » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:23 pm

i'm interested in HK big law. do you mind sending me a msg about what you know?

Return to “Legal Employment”