Getting fat

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
krads153

Re: Getting fat

Postby krads153 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:40 pm

El Pollito wrote:
krads153 wrote:I've gained about 20 pounds in biglaw (been here a few years). Not terrible on average, but pretty terrible for someone with my metabolism/genes. In school I was always one of the skinniest around.

A fair number of people seem to gain 50+ pounds in biglaw......

lost 10 in biglaw. scheduled meals and free salads ftw.

Salads don't fill me up at all, so I tend to snack with salads. I have to eat protein/complex carbs to feel full. Don't get people who eat salads for lunch/dinner.

As for the article I linked earlier, I studied something similar in college nutri sci classes. So unless academia is complete bullshit, I don't think it's that off point.

I also think avoiding sugar/simple carbs/processed foods is more important for people who don't have like 4-5 hours a day to work out (unlike body builders). If you're working out a lot during the day, it doesn't really matter what you eat. So yeah, you could probably eat pancakes only and become a bodybuilder since bodybuilders work out all the time.

If you're like me, and rarely exercise, then avoiding processed foods/sugars/simple carbs is probably better since I won't get the chance to burn many calories aside from mandatory walking/bodily functions.

And I do think most people's metabolism just turn crap when they turn around 30 so your eating habits have to adjust. My BMI was under 18 for 90% of my life. Can't eat crap like I used to and maintain a BMI of 17 at the age of 30.
Last edited by krads153 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 pm

salads can be filling with nuts, cheese, avocado, meat, etc.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:44 pm

El Pollito wrote:salads can be filling with nuts, cheese, avocado, meat, etc.

"Salads" lol but yes, if you add a lot of stuff then sure

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:09 pm

krads153 wrote:

Use zero-cal dressing that has 15 cals per 2 tbsp, a tomato, salt/pepper, and 6 oz of chicken breast.

You're looking at a meal that is nearly 100% protein and less than 250 cals.

Add 12-14 almonds and a bag of 100 cal popcorn if you want a manageable amount of fat/carbs. Then you're golden. Do this for lunch and dinner, don't snack on bad shit, and you're weight will freefall, exercise or not. You also won't be that hungry.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:13 pm

krads153 wrote:

what do you think a salad is? just vegetables?

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:32 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:
exercise will burn calories too, obviously, but you won't be able to out run your bad eating habits.

Bad example. Running is maybe the only exercise that you can do to control weight without changing eating habits. If you run 40+ miles a week it will be awfully difficult to gain weight unless you are affirmatively trying to. And if you're at a really high mileage (like 75+ when training for a marathon), you'll lose a lot of weight quickly.

When I was at the flagship office of a V20 and training for marathons, I used to prowl the floors looking for birthday cookies/cakes because I was so hungry. I'd usually drop from 160 to 140 pounds (5'9" male) over a few months. People would ask me if I was sick. I'd be like "no, I just ran 60 miles over the past five days."

No fucking duh

Ya op just do couch -> 10 mi/day

bballbrett5

Postby bballbrett5 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:38 pm

krads153 wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
krads153 wrote:I've gained about 20 pounds in biglaw (been here a few years). Not terrible on average, but pretty terrible for someone with my metabolism/genes. In school I was always one of the skinniest around.

A fair number of people seem to gain 50+ pounds in biglaw......

lost 10 in biglaw. scheduled meals and free salads ftw.

Salads don't fill me up at all, so I tend to snack with salads. I have to eat protein/complex carbs to feel full. Don't get people who eat salads for lunch/dinner.

As for the article I linked earlier, I studied something similar in college nutri sci classes. So unless academia is complete bullshit, I don't think it's that off point.

I also think avoiding sugar/simple carbs/processed foods is more important for people who don't have like 4-5 hours a day to work out (unlike body builders). If you're working out a lot during the day, it doesn't really matter what you eat. So yeah, you could probably eat pancakes only and become a bodybuilder since bodybuilders work out all the time.

If you're like me, and rarely exercise, then avoiding processed foods/sugars/simple carbs is probably better since I won't get the chance to burn many calories aside from mandatory walking/bodily functions.

And I do think most people's metabolism just turn crap when they turn around 30 so your eating habits have to adjust. My BMI was under 18 for 90% of my life. Can't eat crap like I used to and maintain a BMI of 17 at the age of 30.

1) The fact that you studied something in college does not really affect its truth or falsehood;
2) You're confusing physiology and psychology. The simple intake of sugar/simple carbs/processed foods (whatever that means) does not add bodyfat automatically. I think we can all agree, however, that if eating mindlessly, it's much easier to consume a larger number of calories from foods high in sugar and fat than from vegetables and chicken breasts, for example. Just because people tend to overeat certain foods does not make them bad for you or more likely to cause weight gain, caloric consumption being equal.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:55 pm

krads153 wrote:Yeah but one calorie of soda isn't the same as one calorie of fruit for example, due to fiber and how long it takes your body to convert to fat, etc.

Basically don't eat high sugar processed food products, since a lot of that will be converted to fat. So cut out soda, all processed foods (harder said than done). A lot of the problem is sugar in processed food.

Wrong. A calorie is a calorie unless your body cannot obtain the energy from said food particle as far as weight loss is concerned. (IE: Fiber )
Satiety and body composition change but weight does not. Even then, fruit is overrated. Eat vegetables.

As far as body composition is concerned, 4 calories from 1g carb of processed sugar or "natural" sugar from fruit will equally not help your body build muscle. Protein does. Be it from soy, steak, or whey.

There are no shortcuts. It's literally a law of thermodynamics. You can argue fruit has less calories than sugary, processed counter products -- and you'd be right - -thus the mantra's beginnings -- but it's an elusive way to get to the main point that it isn't fruit -- but lower calorie snacks that are beneficial for you.

bballbrett5 wrote:That's because they are regurgitating old research on the glycemic index, which in current times researchers know to be pretty much meaningless, particularly in the context of a full diet rather than in isolation.

Thank you for researching things before speaking.
Rowinguy2009 wrote:I don't get how this link is controversial - this is like nutrition 101. Thanks for being lawyers.

world is flat, etc. idk what to do with you honestly.

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I get some of the article is junk, but cutting sugar and processed foods and sticking with more complex carbs don't seem like especially controversial ideas.

If you're going to use a rule, might as well use the right one instead of one that happenstances you into a healthy direction some of the time. Calories matter for weight. Macros matter for body composition. You can get fat eating complex carbs and you can lose as much weight as otherwise if all you ate were processed foods or sugar.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:29 pm

sinfiery wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I get some of the article is junk, but cutting sugar and processed foods and sticking with more complex carbs don't seem like especially controversial ideas.

If you're going to use a rule, might as well use the right one instead of one that happenstances you into a healthy direction some of the time. Calories matter for weight. Macros matter for body composition. You can get fat eating complex carbs and you can lose as much weight as otherwise if all you ate were processed foods or sugar.

Of course you can. Personally I find it a lot easier to eat more calories than I need in sugar than in fresh vegetables, though.

JonTheMandamus

Postby JonTheMandamus » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:31 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:
seizmaar wrote:wtf pancakes

pancakes are the shit

waffles are where its at

The Mixed Tape
stop stop this is my favorite dryfit polo

Postby The Mixed Tape » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:33 am

even with a sedentary lifestyle you can actually lose weight with the right diet

If u eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If u eat roughly what u burn, u will maintain ur bodyweight.

Its undisputed science.

Return to “Legal Employment”