Getting fat

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
krads153

Re: Getting fat

Postby krads153 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:15 pm

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Losing weight is basic math (for the most part) - less calories in than out.

A pound of fat is appx. 3,500 calories.

Yeah but one calorie of soda isn't the same as one calorie of fruit for example, due to fiber and how long it takes your body to convert to fat, etc.

Basically don't eat high sugar processed food products, since a lot of that will be converted to fat. So cut out soda, all processed foods (harder said than done). A lot of the problem is sugar in processed food.

bballbrett5

Postby bballbrett5 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:13 pm

krads153 wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Losing weight is basic math (for the most part) - less calories in than out.

Yeah but one calorie of soda isn't the same as one calorie of fruit for example, due to fiber and how long it takes your body to convert to fat, etc.

Basically don't eat high sugar processed food products, since a lot of that will be converted to fat. So cut out soda, all processed foods (harder said than done). A lot of the problem is sugar in processed food.

Excess calories will be converted to fat, whether or not they are from sugar.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:26 pm

bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

Fewer calories to convert if not simple sugars as opposed to say complex carbs. Here's a link: http://www.briancalkins.com/simplevscomplexcarb.htm
Last edited by krads153 on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Username123

Postby Username123 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:29 pm

Broscience -- IIFYM works

bballbrett5

Postby bballbrett5 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 pm

krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

Fewer calories to convert if not simple sugars as opposed to say complex carbs. Here's a link: http://www.briancalkins.com/simplevscomplexcarb.htm

Unfortunately this is unscientific garbage.

krads153

Postby krads153 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:33 pm

bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

NOt sure why you say that. This is what's being taught in pretty much every nutri sci class in college, etc.

hdunlop

Postby hdunlop » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:08 pm

hence the peer reviewed cite u offer

bballbrett5

Postby bballbrett5 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:09 pm

krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

NOt sure why you say that. This is what's being taught in pretty much every nutri sci class in college, etc.

That's because they are regurgitating old research on the glycemic index, which in current times researchers know to be pretty much meaningless, particularly in the context of a full diet rather than in isolation.

Spartan_Alum_12

Postby Spartan_Alum_12 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:18 pm

AReasonableMan wrote:try going before work. this is why old people who are fit tend to get up at 5/6. much easier to go before work. also, once your metabolism slows down from laziness you'll be less hungry so you prob wont get that fat. you'll just have heart problems.

I do this because I can only workout in the morning (hate working out after eating a couple meals and I'm too exhausted after work). Easier to wake up, throw on gym clothes, and change into work clothes at the gym after the work out. Gyms aren't as crowded early in the morning and it gives you more morning energy IMO.

baal hadad

Postby baal hadad » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:13 pm

You don't need to exercise to lose weight, in fact, it is easier to lose weight just by eating less, or eating the right foods.

If you eat no carbohydrates and only small portions of protein and vegetables, you will lose weight.

Edit exercise will burn calories too, obviously, but you won't be able to out run your bad eating habits.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:21 am

Just do some coke or crystal - you'll have more energy to bill, too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:41 am

One of the more powerful partners where I summered would go to the gym in the middle of the day, and was in excellent shape despite working very hard and having a family. I am unsure and curious as to how many associates do this. There would seem to be positives in breaking up the day, and getting a second wind in the afternoon. The annoying thing would be having to show a second time, and re-groom yourself before returning to the office. It takes less time to get ready if you wear a t-shirt and sweats. It's probably still worth it if it's not frowned upon.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:44 am

krads153 wrote:I've gained about 20 pounds in biglaw (been here a few years). Not terrible on average, but pretty terrible for someone with my metabolism/genes. In school I was always one of the skinniest around.

A fair number of people seem to gain 50+ pounds in biglaw......

lost 10 in biglaw. scheduled meals and free salads ftw.

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:53 am

bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
krads153 wrote:

That's because they are regurgitating old research on the glycemic index, which in current times researchers know to be pretty much meaningless, particularly in the context of a full diet rather than in isolation.

I don't get how this link is controversial - this is like nutrition 101. Thanks for being lawyers.

bballbrett5

Postby bballbrett5 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:16 am

Rowinguy2009 wrote:
I don't get how this link is controversial - this is like nutrition 101. Thanks for being lawyers.

Please post peer-reviewed scientific evidence of the claims in this article like a "spike" in blood sugar, "sugar is the enemy of body fat reduction," processed foods "do very little to fuel and energize your body," or that complex carbohydrates are the "preferred" energy source over any other carbohydrates.

doctoroflaw91

Postby doctoroflaw91 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:44 am

El Pollito wrote:
krads153 wrote:I've gained about 20 pounds in biglaw (been here a few years). Not terrible on average, but pretty terrible for someone with my metabolism/genes. In school I was always one of the skinniest around.

A fair number of people seem to gain 50+ pounds in biglaw......

lost 10 in biglaw. scheduled meals and free salads ftw.

Yeah, I'm in this boat too. I keep fruit and oatmeal at the office for breakfast, but otherwise limit my meals to lunch and a protein bar snack. When partners take us out to eat, I use that opportunity to dine on healthy things like grilled fish, salads, etc.

Also +1 for the morning workouts. I would rather get up at 5:45 to exercise than worry about doing it after work.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 am

bballbrett5 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:

Please post peer-reviewed scientific evidence of the claims in this article like a "spike" in blood sugar, "sugar is the enemy of body fat reduction," processed foods "do very little to fuel and energize your body," or that complex carbohydrates are the "preferred" energy source over any other carbohydrates.

Are you saying that sugar is good and eating simple carbs is better than complex?

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:49 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:

Are you saying that sugar is good and eating simple carbs is better than complex?

come on

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:53 am

El Pollito wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:

come on

I get some of the article is junk, but cutting sugar and processed foods and sticking with more complex carbs don't seem like especially controversial ideas.

El Pollito
party fowl

Postby El Pollito » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:55 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
El Pollito wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bballbrett5 wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:

come on

I get some of the article is junk, but cutting sugar and processed foods and sticking with more complex carbs don't seem like especially controversial ideas.

I'm come oning your inability to respond to things people actually said.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:21 am

Then I probably shouldn't post on little sleep, sorry.

anongoodnurse

Postby anongoodnurse » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:55 pm

exercise will burn calories too, obviously, but you won't be able to out run your bad eating habits.

Bad example. Running is maybe the only exercise that you can do to control weight without changing eating habits. If you run 40+ miles a week it will be awfully difficult to gain weight unless you are affirmatively trying to. And if you're at a really high mileage (like 75+ when training for a marathon), you'll lose a lot of weight quickly.

When I was at the flagship office of a V20 and training for marathons, I used to prowl the floors looking for birthday cookies/cakes because I was so hungry. I'd usually drop from 160 to 140 pounds (5'9" male) over a few months. People would ask me if I was sick. I'd be like "no, I just ran 60 miles over the past five days."

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:19 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:
Bad example. Running is maybe the only exercise that you can do to control weight without changing eating habits. If you run 40+ miles a week it will be awfully difficult to gain weight unless you are affirmatively trying to. And if you're at a really high mileage (like 75+ when training for a marathon), you'll lose a lot of weight quickly.

"

Any form of movement, ice curling and golf included, can "control weight." Weight is a function of calories in versus out. If you staple papers really fast for 30 minutes, six days per week, and don't change your eating habits, you'll lose weight.

If you run a marathon once per week but increase your calories by 4,000 per day, you'll gain weight.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:51 pm

anongoodnurse wrote:
exercise will burn calories too, obviously, but you won't be able to out run your bad eating habits.

When I was at the flagship office of a V20 and training for marathons, I used to prowl the floors looking for birthday cookies/cakes because I was so hungry. I'd usually drop from 160 to 140 pounds (5'9" male) over a few months. People would ask me if I was sick. I'd be like "no, I just ran 60 miles over the past five days."

The pedantry on these boards is outrageous. I suppose I should expect no less from lawyers.

RCSOB657

Postby RCSOB657 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Just remember to balance your intake if you're working out that heavily. ~100 lbs in a semester back in 02, I almost passed out twice at drill because I was strictly no carbs only protein, some vegs.

Return to “Legal Employment”